The conclusive duel suggestion thread

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A duel system, similar to that of the game "Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast".

Initiating the duel
- Initiated by opening up the scoreboard (tab) and right clicking on a players name
- Upon right clicking a players name, text will appear on your screen stating "You have challenged (Player name here) to a duel!"
- Upon right clicking a players name, text will appear on their screen stating "Sub has challenged you to a duel! Press J to accept or K to reject"
- If a player does not press J or K after 20 seconds, the game assumes that the duel is rejected

The actual duel
- Health resets for both players
- PL is set to 800,000 for both players
- The two players in the duel will be invincible to everyone not in the duel
- Likewise, everyone not in the duel will be invincible to everyone in the duel
- Before the duel starts, both players are frozen for three seconds, with text flashing on their screen stating "3... 2... 1... GO!"
- Duels are limited to melee, kiblasts and generic beams. No other attacks allowed
- No one else will appear on radar except for the other player participating in the duel

Exiting a duel (Need suggestions / crits)
- When one player dies, the duel ends
- Players may cancel a duel in progress by pressing the button K
- Upon pressing K, the player choosing to cancel will be frozen in place for 20 seconds. He is at the mercy of the player he is canceling on. This is to prevent players from exiting a duel in order to avoid death
- The player who is not canceling will get text which appears on their screen stating "(Player name here) is canceling the duel! Press K to cancel the duel immediately, wait 20 seconds for the duel to be over, or finish him off"
- Upon leaving a duel, your PL and Health return to the state they were in before entering the duel

Misc.
- Cvar to turn duels on / off. This cvar should be on by default
- Cvar to turn off duels canceling after one player dies. This will eliminate the need for private duel servers (Pretty cool if you think about that). This cvar should be off by default
- In the advanced section of the options menu will be a checkbox stating "Disable duel requests" This will be for players who never want to partake in duels, it'll be off by default
- Duels are limited to 1 v 1's
- Multiple duels will allowed to be going on at once

Suggestion written by Zeonix and Sub

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
2 things:

1) In the event that the team decides to implement a lock-on system, the initiation of the duel system will vary slightly. If you were to press J while locked onto someone, the system would assume you want to duel him, so it wouldn't bother with the "right click on the name" menu. If you want to duel someone else, just disengage and go about dueling the regular way.

2) Suggestions are welcome as always. We had a bit of trouble deciding how we'd like people to disengage from the duel system without there being a lot of ****ery involved in terms of exploitation of the system, so if you take issue with any of them, say so and help us devise something that works from all angles.

Thanks for reading.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I also want to add that I realize that this has been suggested a lot in the past, but it's worth a mention again. Besides that, I believe we've attacked the idea at a lot more angles than anyone else has in the past.

I wonder if it's possible to do this in a plugin for 1.2.3

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i have something too add

Power Duel:
-a system automatically detects if you can go ssj or not
-if so, you can challenge to a power duel, or Ascended duel.
-if the duel is accepted a "transformation sequence" initiates for both people (buu, cell, and krillin just power up)
-powerlevel is set too 2 million, health is reset too max or a balanced number

battle of the SSJ's begin

everything else is just as sub said, plus SSJ.

i thought it might be necessary since this IS DBZ, not JKA. people will want to duel as an SSJ. even if it is a little boring.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought about including transformations in duels, but I don't know. I don't have a particular problem with there being transformed duels, but some food for thought here:

• Skill based matches are done in the first form, and I don't believe 1.3 will change this
  • If we're going to include this as part of the idea, we need to come up with a better interface for initiating duels then what we currently have in the first post. This is because
    1. How would you go about initiating a duel where both players are in their second form compared to a duel where both players are in their first form.
    2. How would you go about initiating a duel where both players are in their third form compared to a duel where both players are in their first or second form (etc.)
    3. How would you easily communicate to the player that you can do duels in normal form AND duels where both players are transformed. If there is only one type of duel you can start, it's fairly easy to introduce a player to this idea. Not so much if you include the possibility to having duels in any form
  • Would you then be able to initiate a duel where one player is in their first form and the second player is in their third form? If yes, see the above three points
  • Will I be able to participate in a transformed duel if I'm not able to transform yet?
  • Will all the forms be balanced enough to have an even match in duels

So mainly some interface issues for me, I guess. I have this idea that ESF should be simple and easier to understand, yet I want to implement ideas like this one and then ideas like this one roll and roll into increasingly complex beasts.

To be honest, while I don't think that any of these things prevents it from being implemented, my gut feeling is that duels should be limited to the first form. If you look at the Jedi Knight games, duels are limited to lightsabers with force powers being disabled.

I could be crazy and complaining about nothing, though. What do you guys think?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If both players have the appropriate power level to go SSJ, they are given the option to initiate a SSJ Power Duel, which they'll choose from once they press K. Same goes for SSJ2, SSJ3, etc. Both players have to agree on whether to proceed with that Power Duel level. If they don't the duel is cancelled and you can both go about your business. Same is true if you both choose different ascension levels. If both players agree on going SSJ, their power levels are changed to the minimum required pl to ascend. I suppose the ascension can happen immediately, but I like having the option to fight unascended if I choose to. Although, I guess you can start out ascended and descend during the duel. The ability to Power Duel should be based on the lowest common denominator, meaning if player A can go SSJ but player b can't, it would be a normal duel, rather than a power duel.

Yes? No? Maybe so?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If we're going to include that as part of the idea, I'm personally of the opinion that you should be allowed to initiate a transformed fight even if you don't have the PL to transform yet. It's not like it matters as your pl gets reset to what it was at before you entered the fight when your done.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should be forced to earn the right to ascend.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because I hate all forms higher than normal. That's why.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do too, but if we're going to include transformed duels, they should have the option or we shouldn't include them at all.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm all for not including them.

Anyone disagree?

Well, looks like we're good to go.

Fine, allow the ****ing thing....*******s...

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's an interesting idea you've got there. Maybe we'll see it in the openbeta!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
heh, as i said, this is DBZ. it wouldnt be right NOT to include them, but i suppose that if the duel initiator challenges someone to a duel they have the text option that says:
1.normal
2.first form
x. (either you or the opponent doesnt have this form, so its greyed.)
x.

but, i also have a quick question. what happens when someone challenges a non-descendable player if there isnt an SSJ duel option? even if the pl is reset their speed will be monstrous when compared to the opponent.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
heh, as i said, this is DBZ. it wouldnt be right NOT to include them, but i suppose that if the duel initiator challenges someone to a duel they have the text option that says:
1.normal
2.first form
x. (either you or the opponent doesnt have this form, so its greyed.)
x.

but, i also have a quick question. what happens when someone challenges a non-descendable player if there isnt an SSJ duel option? even if the pl is reset their speed will be monstrous when compared to the opponent.
They're included. I just don't see why people should be able to ascend in a duel off the bat.

They'd either return to their first form, or, if the player had common sense, he'd say "No thanks".

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're included. I just don't see why people should be able to ascend in a duel off the bat.

They'd either return to their first form, or, if the player had common sense, he'd say "No thanks".
i guess just for effect. like how they would both power up in the show and then attack each other. i thought it should be the same.

what i dont like about that, though, is that you have to work hard to get kid buu and it would suck if you were reverted back to your 1st form for duels.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i guess just for effect. like how they would both power up in the show and then attack each other. i thought it should be the same.

what i dont like about that, though, is that you have to work hard to get kid buu and it would suck if you were reverted back to your 1st form for duels.
Dark. You just made us add the Super Duel thing, and we already agreed that you'd be able to choose what ascension level you'd like the duel to use at the beginning of the duel. Keep up.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
uhh, ehh. ok. my bad. im not really paying all that much attention.

how about the super duel goes automatically to the highest ascension levels both parties can use?

in a mod for JKA there is the duel and the full force duel, which adds the use of all force powers. to initiate a duel you press K, to initiate a full force duel you press L (or rebind it to something else). full force duel or, for this mod, super duel automatically goes to the highest level possible by both parties.

success or am i still going all over the place in this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom