The Cheapest Computer.

Best answers
From Megagames:

Rumors of this have been circulating since the AMD/ATI merger was announced but it now seems that work has already started on creating the first CPU on a GPU.

The idea of joining both a CPU and a GPU in one chip has always been there but the technology was not available. Now, with most CPUs made on 65 nanometre and GPUS also moving to 65 from 80 and with 45 nanometre looming in the horizon, the time is right for just such a venture.

The end product should be able to provide the best performance/economy ratio and has the potential to rule the OEM market. Having a GPU and CPU on the same silicon can make for a very appealing product with an equally appealing price. With the ATI takeover AMD now has the expertise to create such a chip although expect the process to take over 18 months. Once released however, the product could result in the cheapest ever PCs.

So as it seems alot of people's predictions were correct, even though its from megagames I would only take it with a pinch of a salt at this stage.
That is, untill this news starts circulating more of the tech websites.

But just the possibility of a sub $500 (Aus Currency) Computer seems rather appealing to me. And since its using an ATI Graphics processor, I wonder if Crossfire will be supported? (Even using the CPU's on board graphics as a Physics accellerator?).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Didn't I already make a thread on this :p?.

A onboard GPU of this design should see a nice increase in bandwidth, it also may finally bring some decent performance to the onboard gfx segment of the market (hopefully). One thing is for sure, Intel better improve it's onboard gfx chips if it wants to be appealing, however they already demonstrated that they can make a processor with a GPU on the same die already.

Best answers
Yeah you did make a post on this. This is an update of it, to verify a rumour.
And the increase in bandwith? not as great as you think. Well not for intel anyone who is using the age old FSB style of bus technology. (As shown when a quad core processor - Kentsfiel was overclocked, and showed it was badwith limited add a graphics core, and well..) And intel is readying its "Intel GMA x3000" which has:

Core running at 667MHz
Capable of sharing up to 384MB of system RAM
Unified Shader Architecture
Programmable Shader Model 4.0 (3.0 at launch)
Floating point blending and filtering
Intel Clear Video technology (HD MPEG-2 and VC-1)
Full T&L Suppot. (FINALLY! NO MORE SOFTWARE T&L!!!)
lol
Its should be about the same speed as a radeon x600. (Yay...) Still a huge leap from anything else they have brought out.
Would also make a nice graphics card on a CPU ^.^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom