The Boondocks

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was looking forward to seeing the premier to the show made from a comic and expected it to be hilarious, which it was.

So, whoever saw the episode, what did you think of it? To anyone who has read one of the comics, I expected Huey's voice to be a little bit deeper. I was actually surprised that Adult Swim would be the program to air a show that uses the "n word" and I hope nobody gets *****y about that. And I also noticed Charlie Murphy's voice in there, didn't see that coming, but well chose voice actor. If all goes well, this won't be a show that gets aired for a couple months and then gets canceled. I see no reason for it to get canceled.

Now, the only ting that could ruin this show is the audience. The show and comic are both drawn/animated in a bit of a Japanese style. There is a certain part of the anime fanbase that will jump top the slightest show with characters with big eyes and make a bunch of generic fanfics, skewed fanart, "fantasy couples", and bunch of other bull**** that usually follows popular anime shows. Then you got the people that will just ***** about "oooh you can't have this kind of humor with anime! This is a disgrace to all of anime!” The last thing I want to happen to this show is for the style it is animated to affect its fanbase.

One of the great parts of this show being drawn this way is that it breaks the inconvenient stereotypes of Japanese-animated shows by giving humor that is actually funny and subjects that appeal to more people.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't help but think about the irony of people laughing at the antics of Huey and Riley. You're laughing because they keep saying ****** and risque stuff on television and that entertains you, and the dudes listening to them on the show laugh and clap because the little black kids are sayin cute things. My words aren't finding themselves.

I find it funny you're comparing it with anime so much(though I will admit, for some reason the first 10 seconds of the opening credits reminded me of Samurah Champloo's opening.) Sure, it borrows a couple styles from anime, but really, it should be called blackimation. Dear God, I hope this doesn't spawn a whole new generation of otaku wiggers.

Best answers
Anyways, I saw the premier and i though it was hilarious, i did not expect it too be that funny. And the little boys were so damn cute!!!!!...Im glad they put a show like that on Adult Swim. Im sure most of the black community will simply love everything about this show, it's definitely going too be one of the topics at school today during lunch.

Best answers
Well I haven't seen the show, but I follow the comic, and I enjoy the social commentary, not sure if that translates into the show though. I should give it a look

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman said:
Dear God, I hope this doesn't spawn a whole new generation of otaku wiggers.
That is the LAST thing I want.

But I just find it interesting how you take american humor, more specific, "black humor" and give it a drawn style to people who like this kind of humor aren't used to. I don't really cared they use more "obscene" language, that's everyday life. It's that it is actually funny, things like Grandad claiming white people become soft with cheese and Huey's refusal to see The Passion because it was a white jesus.

Soul Punisher said:
sure most of the black community will simply love everything about this show, it's definitely going too be one of the topics at school today during lunch.
This may be a coincidence, maybe not, but I'm black and me, my mom, and both brothers are interested in the show/comic. However, I didn't hear anyone mention the Boondocks at school ;/ .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, you live too far away to determine if I've seen it or not. I saw it the night I posted "ya, I missed it?!"

God damn, I loved this show, and I absolutely love the art style :)

Best answers
Oddly enough, I wasn't all that impressed with it, despite the fact that I was actually looking forward to it.
As a comedy, it felt rather...flat. It made some good points, though.
It just...wasn't quite right. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't realize I missed it =/. When is it on?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sunday Nights on Adult Swim

Best answers
Chakra-X said:
This may be a coincidence, maybe not, but I'm black and me, my mom, and both brothers are interested in the show/comic. However, I didn't hear anyone mention the Boondocks at school ;/ .
Well i was just referring too my school. But it's a new show right? So it'll probally take some time before something comes up about chaky ^_^. Anyway's, it wasn't a topic during lunch at my school either at first, until i brought it up. Alot of people seem to have mixed feelings about it right now though, so i guess alot of people i know, won't be talking about it much for a while.

Best answers
I thought it was really quite terrible. Didn't find it funny at all. I found it even more retarded that it looked more like an anime than an American comedy cartoon.

One thing I thought was ironic, how much they stereotype white people. Not like I care, but I'm seeing a double-standard here. I guess what I'm saying is; if I made a show that pointed out all of the problems with black people, then I would be a racist and probably murdered. But when it involves a black family and they're making fun of white people, well then thats just A-OK. The kids refer to white people as the enemy like they're little mini Malcom X's. I just think things like this are a step in the wrong direction. I know it's just a cartoon, and I might be taking it too seriously, but thats just how I feel.
You don't have to agree with me, and I'm not looking to start a flame-fest, those are just my opinions on the show.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The second episode just aired and was completly hilarious, expecially when Huey cussed the court out. It was about R Kelly's trial and despite being funny, it actually was about far ignorance can go, Huey's expressed views are somewhat similar to mine, which makes it interesting to watch.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chakra-X said:
The second episode just aired and was completly hilarious, expecially when Huey cussed the court out. It was about R Kelly's trial and despite being funny, it actually was about far ignorance can go, Huey's expressed views are somewhat similar to mine, which makes it interesting to watch.
Yeah, I'm glad for Huey's little rant at the end. Otherwise it wouldn't have felt right, you know?

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Meh. I can take this show in small doses, but that's about it.

Ever since Chapelle hit the air, peoplehave been cashing in on tossing racial slurs and stereotypes around for money (Mind of Mencia, Boondocks.) But hey, it seems to be working for them, and yes it is funny, but not when every reference has to be about a stereotype.

"I'm hungry"

"CAUSE YOUR BLACK EAT CHICKEN LOL"

"This is some good music"

"WHITE PEOPLE LIKE COUNTRY MUSIC LOL"

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was decent last night. I enjoyed all the euphamisms for urination on a minor that the news anchor used and liked hearing Adam West voice the defense attorney. I can't say I completely relate to the rant at the end about people worshipping black celebrities enough to let them get away with anything simply because their black and famous while trashing on a hard working black(the prosecutor) simply because he has married a white woman.

I agree with MAgus on the comedians throwing around racial slurs to be funny. I guess the good side is they're desensitizing us to them so that eventually they'll mean nothing to the speaker and the listener, but I hope that I don't see much more of the whole "I'm calling you ****** cuz I'm black and you're black and it makes people laugh!"

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I personally thought the conversation between the black white serpremisist guy and Grandad was hilarious. But yes racial comedy can be played out. Boondocks does it at a decent level, Chappelle did it in usually appropiate amounts/ways too, but Mencia is like 80% racial comedy (which isn't always funny anyway).

It's similar to the race card issue, you can not throw it around too much or it will become played out. One day I am going to have to play that ***** in a real situaiton, but it might not do any good because of society's excessive use of it. I defiantly don't want "Hey if it's a minority making fun of races, it is automatically funny" kind of thing going around.

And yes, hearing Adam West's voice was a nice touch. That is probably the 3rd celebrity voice I have heard in this show so far.

Best answers
Well anyways, tonight's episode of the Boondocks was the best one yet in my opinion. I learned the advantages as well as the disadvantages of being a whore. I also thought the boys were abit too hard on her though. I mean they didn't even seem abit attracted too her, which is kinda weird, with all those different body shots they showed of her, but i guess they are pretty young though. But i know one thing, it sure held my dad interest long enough to finish watching the whole thing for the first time. The pimp part was simply hilarious. All in all, on top of that, she wasn't that bad, too bad they couldn't keep her around.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Damn, I missed it. I want thsi show to be the one show I seen all episodes of, and I already ****ed up ;_;. Anyways, I'll catch a re-run later ;). Time for some family guy o/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom