TFM, DoD, stamina alterations, & character class conceptuals

Best answers
Only two minor stamina changes are needed to allow a new melee system:
1. Initiating swoop uses some stamina
2. All melee attacks, or even just a non-swoop melee attack, will reduce the enemy's stamina, even by a mere fraction is enough

I've noticed in the Open Beta that melee hits that aren't done with swooping result in shorter distance knockbacks, and that it's possible to chain attacks using teleport with it. I think that's the idea that should be built off of. Most people don't use Turbo and regular flying to melee, but when SSJ+ you can easily close distance with it so you only need to teleport 'close enough.' In 1.2.3, some of the most enjoyable fights I've had have been with skilled players who use TFM (Turbo Flying Melee), since there's so many options you have, which I'll discuss below. ;)

Before I explain a TFM situation, there's a few things you need to consider:

If you make swoop take a very small amount of stamina, it would render a stamina-less person unable to get away, allowing them to be pursued by teleport and simple melee. This instance alone creates an incredible amount of variety to the way the melee system works. You wouldn't need to add anything new to make this work, so it's an easy alteration. (Unlike ideas I've had in the past lol). :rolleyes:

Since guard doesn't currently use any stamina, people can defend if the opponent is too slow to follow-up after a hit. Teleport accuracy of the attacker would essentially determine the time they'd have to defend. Player skill :love:

If a "no stamina" situation doesn't occur enough, make the TFM attacks reduce stamina from the opponent to make it more likely and stick longer.

Recharging with E could regain stamina as well, at a rate that would need to be tested. It could also just regain faster, assuming TFM attacks reduce stamina.

You could use the old Advanced Melee animations on TFM attacks and randomize them to make it look more interesting. I don't know if that's possible, but it's a good idea anyhow. ^_^

So consider that two players with "no stamina" are constantly attacking each other and would need to use TFM to pursue / evade, block / attack, or risk recharging for a moment to escape. Look at all the options you have. :smile: This strongly resembles the Advanced Melee bubble lock, except it's better. You have the option not to attack to end it, except the leaver is vulnerable for a moment while they recharge, and others can enter into the fight as well.

Another concept I want to discuss is the possibilities of "no stamina" states in relation to transformations and Ki Attacks:

Consider that, in DBZ, they don't always immediately trans when they fight. They wait until the right moment, when they have the upper hand, and it has a cascading effect. Transformation animations, once surpassed with the right amount of PL, don't exist. So, make transformations drain stamina at a tested rate. This creates balance and opportunity between players with and without transformations by making transformed players more likely to fall into a TFM situation, where they are being pursued. On the other hand, trans players can make the best use of TFM where they ARE the pursuer. A good strategy might be to stay untrans when fighting a transformed player, as they are more likely to fall into a "no stamina" state due to stamina drain. The attacker can instanta-trans and have a chance to really push the attack.

USSJ could drain no stamina. Non-SSJ players could have a larger stamina reserve when they trans, such as Buu and Cell. A foolish player would use up all their stamina and fall victim to a chain of TFM attacks, having no way to untrans. This adds more variety now to character classes, based on style and preference.

Now, a Do or Die situation (DoD) based on stamina alterations...

A player with no ki, and/or no/low stamina knocked to the ground by a swoop melee attack will remain unable to stand for a tested duration. This is already implemented for the most part Making stamina reduction a part of melee will just allow the attacker to initiate the scenario, instead of the defender causing it by wasting stamina.

The attacker will have enough time to partially charge a big beam attack and release it. The defender has no choice but to recharge and block it, or otherwise recharge and try to escape, possibly being nailed by the blast radius. Someone almost dead would have no choice but to defend and win/lose. Unless... the attacker was greedy and charged too long, or was too far away. Both attacker and defender would need to judge this on the fly. Player Skill :love:

I personally think these stamina changes would take this game to a completely new level, and given all the beta changes made, it would only take a few minor alterations to make it happen.

So that's it. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well she stamina systgem is in the work.

But there is one thing i dont understand.

What in gonds name is TFM o_O

Best answers
Two things I didn't notice about the beta which would also need to be changed...

Turbo would take no stamina, or negate the regeneration of instead of draining it

Teleport could be used twice within a ~4 second frame without stamina (or a base stamina would be needed to use it, but not take stamina away)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom