TF2: Today is a sad day...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, I accidentally deleted my Natasha that I earned from the achievements so I decided to idle for it back... got her back... then the worst happened.

I'm going to cry.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't get it. You got it back, then valve took it away?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Over the next few days we'll be removing all TF2 items that were earned using external idling applications. We're going to adopt a zero tolerance policy for external applications used to manipulate the persistent item system. Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system. Going forward, if we find users using external applications, we'll remove all of their items. If you're interested, only about 4.5% of the players in TF2's community will be affected by this cleansing process.

Meanwhile, everyone who took the moral high road will soon be finding a new hat in their inventory. We've also significantly increased the chance of finding any of the existing hats.

We realize there is a high level of demand for items, and we're still working on systems to allow you to find them in new ways (via Trading, and crafting duplicates into desired items). However, we need to draw the line at running external applications.
Source: http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2787

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Luckily I got all of my items just from randomly playing the game. Idling sucks. :p

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Indeed, never knew they were actually going to take action. I also used the Idle program, but the last time I used it was months ago.. And not even for a long period either, so I doubt I'll be effected. I don't really need the idle system, I just play and I'm happy with all the weapons I have.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
:cry: my 2 hats are gone i also use idle program :p I need to know how much increased the chance of finding any of the existing hats.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
This means that the non-idle users get a new fancy hat?

EDIT:
... I have been flagged for using the idle system -_-.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait, external idling program?

I'm confused about this; someone made a program for it? Is this what's being penalized?

Because when the Sniper vs Spy update came out, I would create my own private server with bots in the idle achievement map, and just let it sit overnight. I never got anything though, drops were scarce way back then. They wouldn't penalize THAT would they? Just sitting in a server forever? That was punishment in itself to begin with, there's no fun in just sitting there. Once achievement unlocks worked again, I just farmed that, gladly.

But it would HAVE to be an external program they're penalizing, they wouldn't be able to just decide someone who's been solo in a server for a long time is cheating. It's a good guess, sure, but you can't prove that. Could just be a master soldier player is practicing his elite rocket jumping skills for all they know.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
This is something else J-Dude. This was a custom made software that lets steam think you were playing TF2 without even launching TF2 thus gaining items through the program. Here's an example:

I think Valve created something to detect this.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Not that I play TF2 or am interested in it, but I do wonder if this program is actualy labeled as illegeal?

Or is it just a minor, not-so offical "offense" against the Steam and it's policy?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks like a trainer to me.

Meaning cheats in a multiplayer game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks like a trainer to me.

Meaning cheats in a multiplayer game.
Well all it did was emulate the bare minimum client-server communication. It was just a less ressource heavy way to idle (since hat unlocks are just play time based).
It did not make anything faster

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, this bans the servers where they allow you to get your achievements really fast?

Will this undo any stats?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
So, this bans the servers where they allow you to get your achievements really fast?

Will this undo any stats?
The idle software is now dead as DrunkenFool has shut it down. But what do you mean with "this bans the servers"?

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the minigun Beter then natasha if the trading system comes I will give you natash I don't need her(Natash level 39)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well some how I got all my Natasha, Flaregun, and Blutz back. I didn't realize I lost those other two as well.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Well some how I got all my Natasha, Flaregun, and Blutz back. I didn't realize I lost those other two as well.
They mentioned that you'll gain your weapons back that you received through achievements. I just got my Jarate back.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, folks, I wish I could say that it's a tragic occurrence...

...but, as I'm a proponent of earning stuff as opposed to taking shortcuts, I have to point out that you must have seen something like this coming :p

Always do things the honest way.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I've never cheated tf2 and have pretty much all the stuff, except for a few hats...
I never played to unlock them either, I use the original guns on most classes anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom