Tesla Electric Car on Jay Leno

Best answers
Battery Technology is what we really need to advance our energy systems.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Downside so far is the 3,5 hour charge time. So if it stays like that, it will take a long while before it is actually consumer ready. But I guess they could think of something, like solar cells on the car to charge the battery [a bit], while driving?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I like electric cars, they're cool and everything. But I'm really, really going to miss the sounds of engines roaring when you rev the engine.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Downside so far is the 3,5 hour charge time. So if it stays like that, it will take a long while before it is actually consumer ready. But I guess they could think of something, like solar cells on the car to charge the battery [a bit], while driving?
3 and a half hours is nothing. I'd rather charge it over night compared to paying ridiculous prices at the pump. I guess you won't be able to do cross country roadtrips, though

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This kind of car is perfect for anyone who lives in a city or needs to travel to and from a city for work or what have you. As Sub said, you won't be going from New York to L.A. unless you can find a spot to charge it, but that really isn't a big deal when you consider how much pollution we'd be eliminating.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know what would be ironic? If someone would get the car, do cross country roadtrips and find a way to hook it up to a electric generator that uses gas and put that in the cars trunk.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know what would be ironic? If someone would get the car, do cross country roadtrips and find a way to hook it up to a electric generator that uses gas and put that in the cars trunk.
If having gas in my trunk didn't smell so bad, that's probably what I'd do for long distance traveling. I figure if electric cars become mainstream, they'd set up the appropriate equipment at motels and gas stations. And honestly, if everyone in extremely crowded cities used electric cars and public transportation, going cross-country with a gas-powered car wouldn't even really be that bad.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If having gas in my trunk didn't smell so bad, that's probably what I'd do for long distance traveling. I figure if electric cars become mainstream, they'd set up the appropriate equipment at motels and gas stations. And honestly, if everyone in extremely crowded cities used electric cars and public transportation, going cross-country with a gas-powered car wouldn't even really be that bad.
I'm pretty sure electric generators based on gass have emissions too. I'm not 100% sure on it tough.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm pretty sure electric generators based on gass have emissions too. I'm not 100% sure on it tough.
Of course they do, but as most pollution is caused by the use of vehicles, using generators would be far, far less of an evil than using gas guzzlers.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Would the worlds power grids be able to supply enough power to everyone if electric cars became the norm?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Probably not now, but if we made the switch to electric cars, as we should have done 10 years ago, instead of talking about it all the time, we'd adapt.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Probably not now, but if we made the switch to electric cars, as we should have done 10 years ago, instead of talking about it all the time, we'd adapt.
Agreed. Chances are, if electric cars became the norm, I'd assume that you'd see more nuclear powerplants propping up. Simply because the energy needed to energy output ratio is, well, the best we know of so far. Not to mention how cheap it is. But don't quote me on that, I could be wrong, it just seems like the best possible solution to energy problems.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Question: What if there would be side holes in the car like there are in some to cool off the engine, only now they'd actualy generate electricity.I doubt an electrical car needs a radiator, there would be alot of space left, maybe even in the front of the car behind the grill.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Question: What if there would be side holes in the car like there are in some to cool off the engine, only now they'd actualy generate electricity.I doubt an electrical car needs a radiator, there would be alot of space left, maybe even in the front of the car behind the grill.
How would holes in the side of the car generate electricity?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wind energy?
I guess the friction caused by moving the wind powered generator would be too big.
Besides the power produced that way would be minimal, that's why wind powerplants are very big and many are in one place.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it'd be easier and more efficient to just stick solar panels on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom