TES IV: Oblivion *spoilers possible*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, that was productive.

I know some of you aren't entirely honest when it comes to paying for stuff, so surely somebody has it by now. I got it the other day, but I'm right in the middle of finals atm so I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not going to waste my time acquiring it after the piece of **** "horse armor mod".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I played it for a bit last night. The mod consists of you going out and raiding 5 bandit camps to collect a bunch of Dwarven artifacts. You then come back to the orrery, which is repaired and then gives you a spell based on the phase of the moons. The place itself looks pretty neat, and it runs at a a solid 8 fps, whereas I usually get at around 20 in the world. The funny thing is that they believe people are willing to shell out money for such small additions to the game which should have been included with it to start.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Okay, I played it for a bit last night. The mod consists of you going out and raiding 5 bandit camps to collect a bunch of Dwarven artifacts. You then come back to the orrery, which is repaired and then gives you a spell based on the phase of the moons. The place itself looks pretty neat, and it runs at a a solid 8 fps, whereas I usually get at around 20 in the world. The funny thing is that they believe people are willing to shell out money for such small additions to the game which should have been included with it to start.

now you know what its like when i'm playing alterac valley in wow...
... or any other area that isnt a confined instance

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would have bought it if that spell you acquired was able to turn you into a werewolf.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got Morrowind w/ expansions for free a few weeks ago, but I am thinking about giving those away and getting Oblivion.

I am running:
Windows XP MCE SP2
2.8 GHz P4
512 MB DDR2 RAM
ATI x600 (128MB)
80 GB HD (20.6 GB Free)

Sub said:
Anyone know how to take screenshots in this game?
QuickShot is amazing for this. You can hit ALT+S to take a screenshot or hit ALT+U to take a screenshot/upload it to imageshack/copy the link to your keyboard instantly.

http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=quickshot

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dewd said:
hit ALT+U to take a screenshot/upload it to imageshack/copy the link to your keyboard instantly
Wow, that would be the most efficiently I could ever hope to do anything.

Best answers
Waited for this game the entire 4 years they were making it, and it will probably take me another 4 years to get over the dissapointment..

Played it through once with my mage, and about halfway with my thief when al hope seemed lost, and the urge to crawl away in a corner in fetal position became to great..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mods.

Unless you're using the XB360. XB360 loses.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sentient said:
Waited for this game the entire 4 years they were making it, and it will probably take me another 4 years to get over the dissapointment..

Played it through once with my mage, and about halfway with my thief when al hope seemed lost, and the urge to crawl away in a corner in fetal position became to great..
Care to explain why it's such a disappointment? >_>

Best answers
Navanax said:
Been playing longer than a week? If that'd be the case you wouldn't ask for an explanation.. but since you're asking for it.. here we go..
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

- Thieving and the police
What they forgot to tell us in the manual, is that the police in Tamriel have allready created a perfectly working police system. Think Minority Report..
*Walks to door, tries to open it. Door is locked, and the pick lock screen appears without warning. Allready starting to sweat, as my intention was not to break in, but to see what was beyond the door before i knew it was locked i gently remove the lockpick and look around. Nobody in the vicinity.. phew. When i decide to continue my stroll through the city i see a guard running toward me from 3 streets away.*
"HALT CRIMINAL! PAY YOUR FINE AND SURRENDER YOU STOLEN GOODS OR COME WITH ME TO JAIL!!"

That.. and the fact that if you have a bounty on your head the ENTIRE friggin' world knows about it.. Every guard in the world will be looking for you..
Bush should ask the Imperial city guard where Bin Laden is.. i bet they could find out in 10 minutes... plus if he's got any unpayed parkingtickets..

- Stealth... system?
You get 1 free hit when sneaking.. with triple damage depending on your sneak skill.. After that, they almost always know where you are, and you can NEVER hide again until this particular enemy is dead.
Shouldn't it be so that if i choose to reveal myself to an enemy to shoot an arrow in his back, i could run around the corner, jump up a roof and hide again..? But i have to be carefull here.. like i said, my thief isn't thát high lvl yet so it might just be my sneak skill..

-Stamina/fatigue?
Only warriors get tired! Everybody knows that.. :rolleyes:
Casting spells and shooting my arrows doesn't drain any fatigue.. at all..
I guess conjuring up a huge fireball doesn't make you tired at all..
Result: I can run around ultra speed while casting volley after volley of fireballs at my enemy, or just run backwards with my bow and aim for the head..

- Horses
Whoopie! We finally have means of transportation other than clicking the map and magically appearing there! Too bad i can't swing a sword from up on my horse, or even using my bow.
Well.. at least i can whip my horse into high gear and just knock those guards blocking my way over there to the side, running past them.Wrong.
Not to mention the fact that at high levels i was able to run faster than my horse.
I felt so so sorry for the critter that i just ran ahead, waiting for him to follow.. when he couldn't keep up if offered him to ride my back.. :S
(No.. i didn't have a black or white one..)

- Guilds
A lot less guilds or joinable factions than in Morrowind.. Off the top of my head i can remember at least 12 factions i could join in Morrowind.
Here there are a lot less.. and if you want to join the deadra cult and destroy the world for example, you have to play "heroic out to save the world" blade-agent for quite some missions, then suddenly switching to a complete evil wretch halfway through, on first contact with an evil cult. o_o
So i finally get to be the guild leader, after much hard work and saving everybody's ass once more.. "Here you go arch mage.. a special enchanted box for you, and a discount on all my wares."
Wtf.. I thought i could like.. command people to carry out orders.. and.. stuff..

- Vampires
Don't even get me started on this..
Besides the fact that turning into a vampire suddenly makes your face turn into a wrinkled raisin, you cannot feed on just anyone.. No.. your target has to be ASLEEP to be bitten. After wich they can just get up and have a conversation with you if you want to..
I'm a vampire for islamic fonzy's sake!! If i want to feed on you you're going down!!
Not to mention the fact that there are no Vampire clans wich you can join, or special missions.. like in Morrowind..

- Leveling enemies
In Oblivion, the type of enemies, and how strong they are is determined by the game, depending on your own level,
in contrary to Morrowind, where certain area's had very strong enemies, and were thus unplayable in the beginning. Resulting in you having to level up in order to explore the entire world because you just couldn't stay alive otherwise.
A matter of taste..? Perhaps.. yes. Unfortunately, i can also be high level without having trained fighting skills.
I made a merchant like character wich i trained in the arts of speechcraft and mercentile, a high charisma rating, and the ability to sell and buy goods like no other. While training these skills i leveled up quite a bit.
Unfortunately when i go outside now, my enemies have also leveled up because i have, resulting in my merchant having an epic battle of 45 minutes with a mudcrab i could take out in 15 seconds 4 levels ago.. :S

- Items
Finding items depends largely on your level. When you reach higher levels, ordinary bandits and robbers suddenly start wearing Mithril and Glass armors, wielding 13k Ebony Warhammers, while trying to rob you for 100g.

Also, shops and such start selling better equipment and stuff when you level up.
In Morrowind, finding good equipment was a matter of exploring the lands and finding out where to obtain that mythical Glass/deadric armor, or a good Ebony weapon. No matter how high your level was, the shops selled the same stuff, and the truly good equipment wasn't bought in shops when you finally reached lvl 50, but found by accident in an ancient tomb you discovered in the highest mountains of Molag Amur.

- Attribute system makes no sense anymore.
Each skill is tied to a certain attribute. For example, Blade skill is governed by the attribute strength.
In Oblivion, they managed to mess up a perfectly working system they had from the prequel.. Morrowind.
For example, in Morrowind the skill to use daggers, was related to speed. In oblivion they changed it to the attribute strength.
Result? I cannot use melee weapons anymore without being strong.
Wich makes absolutely NO sense at all..
Using a dagger isn't about being strong.. it about being fast and agile enough to be able to stab you in the neck 4 times before you even get the chance to swing that mighty warhammer at me.. :S

- Talking about skills..
What happened to Medium armor? Or teleporting? (Mark and Recall) Or Spears? Or levitating? (flying)
And no problem if Enchanting isn't something that is available to every beggar in the waterfront and his uncle, but as a lvl 90 mage i think i should be able to enchant my own stuff instead of having to go to the local enchantomatic bookshelfthingie and pay gold for it.
And in Morrowind, we were able to enchant exactly the way we wanted.. a lot more freedom of choice in how you wanted the enchantment to work precisly.. A constant effect enchantment for example was VERY hard to make.. you needed a very powerfull soul (Golden Saint, Winged Twilight, etc) to create it. Now you can do it with the soul of a rat if need be, only the enchantment will be less potent.. ;/
Also, it was quite interesting being able to have your sword enchanted for you as a warrior, of your bow as a thief. How they solved this? Sigil stones to upgrade your stuff.. wich you can get from the impressive oblivion gates that pop up every 10 feet you travel. (leaving you NO choice in what enchantment should be on your eq.)

- Oblivion Gates
The phenomenon that drives the entire story line. But they are almost as common as a bandit cave hideout. And almost just as creative.
Get out the gate, fight the smaller creatures outside, proceed through 2 areas of cavers, get inside the big tower, fight your way upstairs and remove sigil stone. Oh.. sometimes you can't get into the big tower.. try entering a smaller one and open a gate from there.. *excitement*
The first 3 oblivion gates are... interesting. After that.. i didn't take the effort to close another.. or did it in like 3 min because i wanted a new sigil stone.

- The world is smaller than that of Morrowind.. And no.. it's not the fact that i can instant travel in Oblivion that makes me think this.

- The story concept
is actually.. quite nice.. too bad it doens't get built up, but you get thrown into the story without much introduction.
*Brings the amulet to jaufre without a clue.. suddenly i have to go get a priest guy, to relight the dragonfires! City destroyed! Save the priest! Son of the emperor! Oblivion gates EVERYWHERE! OMGZZRZ! Save the world! By yourself (Blades are the special agents of the empire?! They are sitting on their hands!)

- Horrible voice acting
The voice actor who also plays Jauffre is an actor for at least 6 different characters in the game, from bandits to villagers.. clearly noticable..

Characters also switch voices very often, depending on the subject being discussed. You're talking to this guy with a squeeky begger voice, only to speak with his schizo alter ego the soffisticated aristocrat when switching the subject of the conversation.

Not to mention
The countless bugs, including clipping through bridges, rocks, and even walls, resulting in being trapped inside a solid wall, unable to escape, doomed to die out of boredom..
Mission critical characters suddenly disapearing, causing you to be unable to finish quests, etc, etc..

I'll just leave it at this.. i could carry on for quite a while.. but my therapygroup consisting of other traumatised players says i have to let it go..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
whiner whiner whiner

maybe if you had played past the first 3 oblivion gates youd notice that alot of them are very differant,some of them are damn right puzzling

horses... yea, the black ones are fastest, and youd onyl run as fast or faster than one of the fat ass stupid horses

learn to play a thief

vampires.. yea kinda suck, but are kinda cool...

you see the bright red "LOCKED" thing on the doors? that means the door is locked, and you shouldnt open it, also, if you SNEAK, and the eye is clear, guards wont chase you down when you open the door/chest. unless theres a person staring you in the face on the other side

guards only actively pursue you if your bounty is rather high, other than that you have to walk up and talk to a guard to get arrested

leveling enemies. yea they level. but some areas are set so the monsters are xx levels above you. so explore.

voice acting. morrowind had practicly no voice acting. theres nothing wrong with oblivions either.

bugs? how many damn ugs did morrowind have man, enough to make the game unplayable

i think you should give the game some more time. and explore some more

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sentient said:
Been playing longer than a week? If that'd be the case you wouldn't ask for an explanation.. but since you're asking for it.. here we go..
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

What they forgot to tell us in the manual, is that the police in Tamriel have allready created a perfectly working police system. Think Minority Report..
*Walks to door, tries to open it. Door is locked, and the pick lock screen appears without warning. Allready starting to sweat, as my intention was not to break in, but to see what was beyond the door before i knew it was locked i gently remove the lockpick and look around. Nobody in the vicinity.. phew. When i decide to continue my stroll through the city i see a guard running toward me from 3 streets away.*
"HALT CRIMINAL! PAY YOUR FINE AND SURRENDER YOU STOLEN GOODS OR COME WITH ME TO JAIL!!"

That.. and the fact that if you have a bounty on your head the ENTIRE friggin' world knows about it.. Every guard in the world will be looking for you..
Bush should ask the Imperial city guard where Bin Laden is.. i bet they could find out in 10 minutes... plus if he's got any unpayed parkingtickets..

- Stealth... system?
You get 1 free hit when sneaking.. with triple damage depending on your sneak skill.. After that, they almost always know where you are, and you can NEVER hide again until this particular enemy is dead.
Shouldn't it be so that if i choose to reveal myself to an enemy to shoot an arrow in his back, i could run around the corner, jump up a roof and hide again..? But i have to be carefull here.. like i said, my thief isn't thát high lvl yet so it might just be my sneak skill..

-Stamina/fatigue?
Only warriors get tired! Everybody knows that.. :rolleyes:
Casting spells and shooting my arrows doesn't drain any fatigue.. at all..
I guess conjuring up a huge fireball doesn't make you tired at all..
Result: I can run around ultra speed while casting volley after volley of fireballs at my enemy, or just run backwards with my bow and aim for the head..

- Horses
Whoopie! We finally have means of transportation other than clicking the map and magically appearing there! Too bad i can't swing a sword from up on my horse, or even using my bow.
Well.. at least i can whip my horse into high gear and just knock those guards blocking my way over there to the side, running past them.Wrong.
Not to mention the fact that at high levels i was able to run faster than my horse.
I felt so so sorry for the critter that i just ran ahead, waiting for him to follow.. when he couldn't keep up if offered him to ride my back.. :S
(No.. i didn't have a black or white one..)

- Guilds
A lot less guilds or joinable factions than in Morrowind.. Off the top of my head i can remember at least 12 factions i could join in Morrowind.
Here there are a lot less.. and if you want to join the deadra cult and destroy the world for example, you have to play "heroic out to save the world" blade-agent for quite some missions, then suddenly switching to a complete evil wretch halfway through, on first contact with an evil cult. o_o
So i finally get to be the guild leader, after much hard work and saving everybody's ass once more.. "Here you go arch mage.. a special enchanted box for you, and a discount on all my wares."
Wtf.. I thought i could like.. command people to carry out orders.. and.. stuff..

- Vampires
Don't even get me started on this..
Besides the fact that turning into a vampire suddenly makes your face turn into a wrinkled raisin, you cannot feed on just anyone.. No.. your target has to be ASLEEP to be bitten. After wich they can just get up and have a conversation with you if you want to..
I'm a vampire for islamic fonzy's sake!! If i want to feed on you you're going down!!
Not to mention the fact that there are no Vampire clans wich you can join, or special missions.. like in Morrowind..

- Leveling enemies
In Oblivion, the type of enemies, and how strong they are is determined by the game, depending on your own level,
in contrary to Morrowind, where certain area's had very strong enemies, and were thus unplayable in the beginning. Resulting in you having to level up in order to explore the entire world because you just couldn't stay alive otherwise.
A matter of taste..? Perhaps.. yes. Unfortunately, i can also be high level without having trained fighting skills.
I made a merchant like character wich i trained in the arts of speechcraft and mercentile, a high charisma rating, and the ability to sell and buy goods like no other. While training these skills i leveled up quite a bit.
Unfortunately when i go outside now, my enemies have also leveled up because i have, resulting in my merchant having an epic battle of 45 minutes with a mudcrab i could take out in 15 seconds 4 levels ago.. :S

- Items
Finding items depends largely on your level. When you reach higher levels, ordinary bandits and robbers suddenly start wearing Mithril and Glass armors, wielding 13k Ebony Warhammers, while trying to rob you for 100g.

Also, shops and such start selling better equipment and stuff when you level up.
In Morrowind, finding good equipment was a matter of exploring the lands and finding out where to obtain that mythical Glass/deadric armor, or a good Ebony weapon. No matter how high your level was, the shops selled the same stuff, and the truly good equipment wasn't bought in shops when you finally reached lvl 50, but found by accident in an ancient tomb you discovered in the highest mountains of Molag Amur.

Each skill is tied to a certain attribute. For example, Blade skill is governed by the attribute strength.
In Oblivion, they managed to mess up a perfectly working system they had from the prequel.. Morrowind.
For example, in Morrowind the skill to use daggers, was related to speed. In oblivion they changed it to the attribute strength.
Result? I cannot use melee weapons anymore without being strong.
Wich makes absolutely NO sense at all..
Using a dagger isn't about being strong.. it about being fast and agile enough to be able to stab you in the neck 4 times before you even get the chance to swing that mighty warhammer at me.. :S

- Talking about skills..
What happened to Medium armor? Or teleporting? (Mark and Recall) Or Spears? Or levitating? (flying)
And no problem if Enchanting isn't something that is available to every beggar in the waterfront and his uncle, but as a lvl 90 mage i think i should be able to enchant my own stuff instead of having to go to the local enchantomatic bookshelfthingie and pay gold for it.
And in Morrowind, we were able to enchant exactly the way we wanted.. a lot more freedom of choice in how you wanted the enchantment to work precisly.. A constant effect enchantment for example was VERY hard to make.. you needed a very powerfull soul (Golden Saint, Winged Twilight, etc) to create it. Now you can do it with the soul of a rat if need be, only the enchantment will be less potent.. ;/
Also, it was quite interesting being able to have your sword enchanted for you as a warrior, of your bow as a thief. How they solved this? Sigil stones to upgrade your stuff.. wich you can get from the impressive oblivion gates that pop up every 10 feet you travel. (leaving you NO choice in what enchantment should be on your eq.)

- Oblivion Gates
The phenomenon that drives the entire story line. But they are almost as common as a bandit cave hideout. And almost just as creative.
Get out the gate, fight the smaller creatures outside, proceed through 2 areas of cavers, get inside the big tower, fight your way upstairs and remove sigil stone. Oh.. sometimes you can't get into the big tower.. try entering a smaller one and open a gate from there.. *excitement*
The first 3 oblivion gates are... interesting. After that.. i didn't take the effort to close another.. or did it in like 3 min because i wanted a new sigil stone.

- The world is smaller than that of Morrowind.. And no.. it's not the fact that i can instant travel in Oblivion that makes me think this.

- The story concept
is actually.. quite nice.. too bad it doens't get built up, but you get thrown into the story without much introduction.
*Brings the amulet to jaufre without a clue.. suddenly i have to go get a priest guy, to relight the dragonfires! City destroyed! Save the priest! Son of the emperor! Oblivion gates EVERYWHERE! OMGZZRZ! Save the world! By yourself (Blades are the special agents of the empire?! They are sitting on their hands!)

- Horrible voice acting
The voice actor who also plays Jauffre is an actor for at least 6 different characters in the game, from bandits to villagers.. clearly noticable..

Characters also switch voices very often, depending on the subject being discussed. You're talking to this guy with a squeeky begger voice, only to speak with his schizo alter ego the soffisticated aristocrat when switching the subject of the conversation.

Not to mention
The countless bugs, including clipping through bridges, rocks, and even walls, resulting in being trapped inside a solid wall, unable to escape, doomed to die out of boredom..
Mission critical characters suddenly disapearing, causing you to be unable to finish quests, etc, etc..

I'll just leave it at this.. i could carry on for quite a while.. but my therapygroup consisting of other traumatised players says i have to let it go..
Looks like your lack of understanding has affected your judgment. If nobody is around and you try to pick a lock (successful or not), nobody comes running. If someone SEES you trying to break into someone's house, naturally they're going to alert the cops.

As for the stealth system, it does make sense. The target is obviously made aware of your presence--they're not going to go, "La dii da! I got shot in the neck, but now I'm going to keep pretending there's nobody around trying to kill me." Even if you managed to lose someone who was alerted to your presence, they'd still keep looking.

Next, you're criticizing stamina/fatigue? There are two different types of 'fatigue'--stamina and mana, for a reason. Casting a large spell wouldn't make you conventionally tired, it would drain your magical energies. This is a concept present in almost every game using magic.

As for the Guilds/Quests, it's not uncommon for games to have to sacrifice aspects of the game as a compromise for making a 3D, voice-acted and complex world. Games become significantly more expensive and time-consuming to produce as they become more complex. Daggerfall had a much "bigger" world than Morrowind did--but every town was identical, etc..

Regarding Vampires--does it really make sense for you to attract lots of attention to yourself as a Vampire, anyway? Perhaps you should be able to become a blood-thirsty vampire lord, but I suppose that's not what Bethesda wanted.

The Leveling/Item systems are controversial--Oblivion's system solves a fundamental flaw that Morrowind suffered from. The "God" complex--the game was much too easy after you leveled up significantly.

The attribute system might not make sense to you, however, numerous changes were made to prevent people from breaking the game (i.e., limits on acrobatics) but your argument about strength/speed makes some sense, however.. you need strength to swing a dagger as well. You also need dexterity..

Medium armor was included in both Heavy and Light armors. Mark and Recall were removed in favor of the Fast Travel system. Levitating/Flying was removed because of the way Oblivion is made.. Morrowind had an open system, it didn't load the interior of a town every time you entered. In Oblivion, because of the extreme complexity of towns and the world map, you can't seamlessly enter from one into the other. What if you were flying over the Imperial City, and decided to fly over the wall and into the Courtyard? It wouldn't be loaded.

I agree with you on the point regarding enchanting. I liked Morrowind's better. The Oblivion gates, I also agree with you on. They were interesting at first, but got boring. However, I didn't play Oblivion for the main story alone.

You say the world is "smaller" than Morrowind, however I've heard different people say Tamriel/Cyrodiil(Oblivion) is bigger and smaller than Morrowind/VVardenfell. Oblivion also has significantly less water/lakes than Morrowind did, which may be affecting your opinion.

I didn't think the main story was especially good.. but I did enjoy the stories of the entire game.

As far as the voice acting is considered, -I- was very impressed. Do you have any idea how many endless hours of dialogue there are? You should be grateful that every single line in the ENTIRE GAME is voice acted--it's one of the first! I did notice the "bug" of characters switching voices a few times, but that was really limited and on none of the major characters I talked to.

As for bugs--I didn't encounter any significant bugs, at all. At all. And if you're comparing Oblivion's bugs to Morrowind's bugs--HAHAHAHAHA! No contest!

Morrowind was somewhat popular, but more of a niche-y subculture type hit. Oblivion is a smash megahit--for good reason.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Looks like your lack of understanding has affected your judgment. If nobody is around and you try to pick a lock (successful or not), nobody comes running. If someone SEES you trying to break into someone's house, naturally they're going to alert the cops.

As for the stealth system, it does make sense. The target is obviously made aware of your presence--they're not going to go, "La dii da! I got shot in the neck, but now I'm going to keep pretending there's nobody around trying to kill me." Even if you managed to lose someone who was alerted to your presence, they'd still keep looking.

Next, you're criticizing stamina/fatigue? There are two different types of 'fatigue'--stamina and mana, for a reason. Casting a large spell wouldn't make you conventionally tired, it would drain your magical energies. This is a concept present in almost every game using magic.

As for the Guilds/Quests, it's not uncommon for games to have to sacrifice aspects of the game as a compromise for making a 3D, voice-acted and complex world. Games become significantly more expensive and time-consuming to produce as they become more complex. Daggerfall had a much "bigger" world than Morrowind did--but every town was identical, etc..

Regarding Vampires--does it really make sense for you to attract lots of attention to yourself as a Vampire, anyway? Perhaps you should be able to become a blood-thirsty vampire lord, but I suppose that's not what Bethesda wanted.

The Leveling/Item systems are controversial--Oblivion's system solves a fundamental flaw that Morrowind suffered from. The "God" complex--the game was much too easy after you leveled up significantly.

The attribute system might not make sense to you, however, numerous changes were made to prevent people from breaking the game (i.e., limits on acrobatics) but your argument about strength/speed makes some sense, however.. you need strength to swing a dagger as well. You also need dexterity..

Medium armor was included in both Heavy and Light armors. Mark and Recall were removed in favor of the Fast Travel system. Levitating/Flying was removed because of the way Oblivion is made.. Morrowind had an open system, it didn't load the interior of a town every time you entered. In Oblivion, because of the extreme complexity of towns and the world map, you can't seamlessly enter from one into the other. What if you were flying over the Imperial City, and decided to fly over the wall and into the Courtyard? It wouldn't be loaded.

I agree with you on the point regarding enchanting. I liked Morrowind's better. The Oblivion gates, I also agree with you on. They were interesting at first, but got boring. However, I didn't play Oblivion for the main story alone.

You say the world is "smaller" than Morrowind, however I've heard different people say Tamriel/Cyrodiil(Oblivion) is bigger and smaller than Morrowind/VVardenfell. Oblivion also has significantly less water/lakes than Morrowind did, which may be affecting your opinion.

I didn't think the main story was especially good.. but I did enjoy the stories of the entire game.

As far as the voice acting is considered, -I- was very impressed. Do you have any idea how many endless hours of dialogue there are? You should be grateful that every single line in the ENTIRE GAME is voice acted--it's one of the first! I did notice the "bug" of characters switching voices a few times, but that was really limited and on none of the major characters I talked to.

As for bugs--I didn't encounter any significant bugs, at all. At all. And if you're comparing Oblivion's bugs to Morrowind's bugs--HAHAHAHAHA! No contest!

Morrowind was somewhat popular, but more of a niche-y subculture type hit. Oblivion is a smash megahit--for good reason.
Now this is the SailorAlea we all know and love :)

Personally I was thinking of getting the game, but now I'm not so sure. I mean, I want to go outside as a level one, and kick ass. But if I get my ass kicked by a bandit or something, i want to be able to kick that bandits ass as I grow levels. So them wearing better armor and leveling up while you level up- i just don't think that's for me.

Guess i'm just a wow/gw fan =/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its not like the enemies are infintesimaly hard, i dont know how to spell that word

the 45 minute epic battle with the mud crab must be just sentient. i kill them in one hit. reguardless of my level.

and... yea... i dont have any complaints, other than that the magic system isnt that complex

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

No Psychic Guards 1.1

- Stealth... system?
Attack and Hide 1.2
Deadlier Sneaking

-Stamina/fatigue?
Huge fireball = less mp. Less mp = more chance to die if you're a pure mage.
Also, theres another mod that gives you a chance when running backwards to stumble. More realistic i say.

- Horses
Yeah, I agree with you on this one. But, if you're a true TES fan, you probably wont use Fast Travel, and walking is quite slow. So why not invest in a horse?

- Guilds
Theres a Necromancers guild in production. By the community. If this is successful, then who knows how many other factions they may be.

- Vampires
Mods. Again. I'm not even listing how many vampire mods there are.

- Leveling enemies
Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul. Many other mods that fix this problem. Like, 15+?

- Items
G_'s Loot Mod

Kubo's Character Advancement System.

- Talking about skills..
Agreed.

- Oblivion Gates
Adrenaline Oblivion

YES IT IS! In Morrowind, you're allowed to explore.. what? Vvardenell? In Oblivion, its the whole sector. Plus, what? Theres only 9 main cities you say? Ever heard of EXPLORING WTF. Theres many smaller cities (such as Weye), that you may not of even heard of. Dungeons, Ayleid Shrines, Forts etc.

- The story concept
Agreed... to an extend.

- Horrible voice acting
At least we have voice acting for every character? Also, people with the same voices is not technically horrible... its called: Cloning. Or reusing so they dont have to get like 1000 people to do voice acting.

Not to mention
Yes the bugs are weird.

NOTE!

If
you're gonna be a retard and say that "well your opinions dont matter since i got the xb360 verzion ^_^" then go screw yourself. Most gamers know that the PC has it all in community mods, tweaking, and the like.

And i've been playing for three weeks. So dont think im some idiot who's just blabbing.

And if you want the mod links, get them yourself. I can't be bothered.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He does raise some good points. I can't help but feel this game was dumbed down a bit for the Xbox crowd. I didn't play too much of Morrowind, and I was able to see several things removed that were just fine in the last game. None the less, I still think Oblivion is a great game. It has it's faults, but the problem is that you can't make a game for all people. Somebody is going to dislike things that other people love. I really liked have voice acting for all the dialogue, even if beggars would go from having a weak, pleading voice to speaking normally every now and then.

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Like i said, absolutely nobody was around.. yet they still manage to find me out.. and this is indd not a consequent bug.. though it happens far too often.. I cannot imagine being the only one having trouble with this.. I know at least 2 friends irl who are experiencing the same problem..

SailorAlea said:
Yes.. sofar you are right..
But i'm not critisising the fact that they keep looking for you, but the fact that after the first shot they always know where you are, and you can't hide again.. hell if i'm a master assasin, you can look for me and know i'm there, but that's a looooooong way from actually finding me before i stab you in the back again..

SailorAlea said:
Agreed.. only thing is in the game, having low fatigue makes your actions less effective.. so.. magic and arrows will be a lot more effective than swinging your sword.. I just think it's kinda unbalanced..
But if you want to get into the theme.. don't you think that a wizard would be mentally tired when he has to keep concentrating and casting spells, conjuring up great beasts, etc..? Instead of just draining his mana?

SailorAlea said:
And that's exactly my beef with Oblivion..
"Significantly more expensive and timeconsuming to produce as they become more complex.." Read: Eyecandy.. and earcandy in this case i guess..
Because let's be honest, except for the great graphics, the voice acting, and the fighting system (agreed, they did a wonderfull job there).. what has really improved in Oblivion?
Games these days are more and more focused on impressive graphics and such, as opposed to older games where you'd be dodging the uberbig ugly pixels jumping at you from your screen, but you didn't mind at all because the game itself was amazing and fun to play..

Before we get into a big argument here, because it is foremost a matter of taste, i just think they should stop focusing on making games look better and stop sacrificing content in this way.. I like my games huge.. instead of really pretty and worth 5 days of gameplay..

SailorAlea said:
Hehe.. i can understand what you're getting at right here.. but:
No.. i guess for a certain type of gamer, including myself, that doesn't make sense.. but if i happen to come across a lonely traveler in the forest, or a single person in a dark alleyway.. i can't feed on him cause he's not asleep..? :S Hell, they could've just incorperated a system that keeps track of how many people see you perform vampire activities, and if that number becomes to great, vampire hunters would come after you, etc etc.. something creative...
And hell.. if i really want to be that bloodthirsty rampaging vampire lord, i should be able to... that's what i loved about Morrowind.. sooo many options... freedom of choice.. Oblivion limit's this freedom too much IMO..

SailorAlea said:
Depends on how you look at it.. again.. if that's what you like.. fine..
I on the other hand want something to work for..

Fire Phoenix said:
Personally I was thinking of getting the game, but now I'm not so sure. I mean, I want to go outside as a level one, and kick ass. But if I get my ass kicked by a bandit or something, i want to be able to kick that bandits ass as I grow levels. So them wearing better armor and leveling up while you level up- i just don't think that's for me.
I rest my case..
Isn't that the entire point of the game..? To become a great warrior/wizard/whatever and be able to squash enemies that were giving you trouble earlier in the game? To go back to "that area with the annoying bandits, raid their camp again and kill them all singlehandedly this time, instead of having to flee with nothing but your life like last time?"

In oblivion you can't even speak about certain area's, because Kvatch, formerly filled with annoying scamps is suddenly filled with huge bulky deadroths and spider deadra.. because.... i leveled? :S Did they open another oblivion gate and got the creatures from there? Or did they just hide last time i was there because they thought my level wasn't high enough to fight them yet..? o_o
Same with the bandits IMO..

It's called immersion.. how "realistic" a game is.. It's about lulling that part of your brain to sleep that tells you you aren't a mighty wizard traveling through ancient ruins, casting spells and slaying beasts.. and this my friends.. isn't helping..

SailorAlea said:

Medium armor used to be a specific skill.. with different governing attributes.. wich you could choose to use.. Same for spears..
Mark and Recall (teleporting) were not just used for travel.. i used it for fighting as well..
Run up a cliff, cast mark.. launch massive magic offensive against your enemy from up there.. when he finally got to you.. jump down.. wait for him to make his way down again.. teleport back up.. rinse wash and repeat..
As well as many other uses.. We have a instant travel system now..? Fine.. but why take it out?

You have a really good point about levitating there.. didn't think of that.. :]
But couldn't they have worked around that? Meh.. not that big of a point..
And glad you at least agree on the Oblivion gates and enchanting part.. ;)

SailorAlea said:
Left to be disputed..
When i look at my map, and i time how long it takes me to get from one place to another, i get the impression this world is smaller..

ZeroNightmare said:
the 45 minute epic battle with the mud crab must be just sentient. i kill them in one hit. reguardless of my level.
It's called sarcasm m8.. Or bitterness.. whichever you think is more appropriate.. ;)

bapplebo said:
If you're gonna be a retard and say that "well your opinions dont matter since i got the xb360 verzion ^_^" then go screw yourself. Most gamers know that the PC has it all in community mods, tweaking, and the like.

And i've been playing for three weeks. So dont think im some idiot who's just blabbing.

And if you want the mod links, get them yourself. I can't be bothered.
From where this sudden hostility? :rolleyes:
I have the PC version yes.. And i'm aware of the fact that mods can be downloaded for these problems.
But if i buy a game.. (yes i actually bought it) i don't expect to have to go download 9 different mods to make a game that sometimes gives me the impression to be a released beta version playable..
If developers think they can play it that way, and let the "community" improve their game in ways they couldn't be arsed to.. meh... "I can't be bothered.."

And let’s not forget.. yes.. i am comparing Oblivion to Morrowind on quite a few occasions.. but Morrowind is from 2001! Yes it had bugs that made me wanna break my keyboard in 2 and throw my mouse out the window.. but that’s not what’s being discussed now.. if i can compare a 5 year old game to it’s recently released sequel and come to the conclusion the prequel was better in alot of area’s.. that’s bad news IMO..

Don’t get me wrong.. i’m not trying to bash oblivion just for the fun of it, but the question directed at me was..
Navanax said:
I just did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom