Team Fortress 2 and HL2 for the 360 + PS3

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's about time...

For one, Valve is planning to release Episode Two simultaneously on the PC, Xbox 360, and the PlayStation 3. And it wouldn?t make sense to give the console players Episode 2, which is essentially the middle of the story, so the console versions of Episode Two will also include Half-Life 2, as well as Episode One. That?s right, both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 players will be able to get their hands on the entire Half-Life 2 saga in one package.
They should wait until Episode 3 is finished then, it saves people from having to buy two seperate games.

In addition to that bombshell, Newell revealed that all versions of Episode Two will ship with a separate single-player game called Portals. This is something of an insanely inspired puzzle game that takes advantage of the Source engine, judging from the hilarious trailer that Newell showed. The trailer took the form of a training video for a new employee of an advanced corporation in the Half-Life 2 universe.

The video shows a diagram and explains that as an employee of this company, you may have to find the emergency exit to a certain room. However, there are often obstacles in your way, like a gaping chasm. No problem, because all you need to use is your Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device to create dimensional doorways that let you mess with reality. For example, if there?s gaping chasm between you and your objective, just shoot a portal on the far side of the room, then shoot a portal open on your side, then enter the portal. You?ll instantly transport from one side of the room to the next by walking through the portal (you?ll even see yourself going through the portal).

That?s the simplest example of how to use the portal gun. In other situations, you may be under fire by a gun droid. So all you need to do is shoot a portal open over the gun, then shoot a portal open beneath a crate, then watch the crate fall through the hole and crush the gun. It gets even crazier, and the diagrams shown in the trailer showed some incredibly crazy things that you can attempt, like creating a series of portals so that you?re constantly chasing yourself. Some of the puzzles sound like they?ll be ?impossible,? so the challenge will be to figure out how to use the portal gun.

This promises to be an incredibly puzzle-style first-person experience, which Newell says is part of the goal. ?We wanted to take physics out of this domain as a tool that lets you bounce grenades around to how can we really change the game experience for our customers,? he said.
Now that sounds very interesting, hopefully this gives us mappers something new to play with as well as a change of pace with Half-Life 2.

Well, Team Fortress 2 is back and will be included with Episode Two, and it looks like nothing else on the market. Newell explained that Valve wanted to make this action game distinct, so the graphics (which use the Source engine) look like a Pixar animated movie. To reinforce this, the carious character classes in the game look like cartoon caricatures. These include the Medic with the huge needle or the Demoman with the sticks of explosives. Other classes include the Heavy, the Spy, the Scout, the Engineer, the Sniper, the Soldier, and the Pyro. Newell says that the goal with Team Fortress 2 is to create ?the best looking and best-playing class-based multiplayer game.? Team Fortress 2 is certainly unique in appearance, so we?ll see how it plays.
Interesting... Hopefully it's everything we've all have been waiting for.

Best answers
i've been waiting for team fortress for like 5 years, hoepfully it'll finnaly actually come out.

Best answers
Hahhahah thats awsome :yes: i love the spy

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I can't wait to see the video next week. :)

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/

Link to a game which is basically the same concept as the game portals [A lot of the guys who made that game are actually working on this one]. It has horrible graphics, but it's amazingly fun. It did take me a while to get used to though.

But yeah, it really is great fun. I think they may have a weapon better than the gravity gun. Who would have thought.

Best answers
Small sidenote about that screen, for those who are wondering.. That's ingame (confirmed by Gabe)

Best answers
Newell explained that Valve wanted to make this action game distinct, so the graphics (which use the Source engine) look like a Pixar-animated movie. To reinforce this, the various character classes in the game look like cartoon caricatures. These include the Medic with the huge needle or the Demoman with the sticks of explosives.
I ****ing hate Valve. I've been waiting for Team Fortress 2 for years. It's finally announced and all Valve can come up with is this Toy Story look-a-like bull****?! TF2 was created and cancelled two or three times... and this is what becomes of it. Oh my christ, I'm never buying anything from Valve ever again. This is an insult to all fans of the original TF released on Quakeworld and fans of TFC.

That is what TF2 should look like. That was the original TF2 back in 2001 before it was scrapped by Valve. I waited for that game for six years... and now it's a ****ing Pixar kids game. Rediculous.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I replaced my TFC models with "toon" models. So this looks just fine to me.

The medic with the huge needle is hilarious. I wonder if conc's still work the same way?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
I ****ing hate Valve. I've been waiting for Team Fortress 2 for years.
That's unfortunate, I mean, it's not like anyone else but you has been waiting, but thanks for the validation.

Play it first, instead of whining and moaning based on one screenshot.
I waited for that game for six years...
Whine whine whine... etc and so on.
and now it's a ****ing Pixar kids game. Rediculous.
Hey, and now you sound like a kid, guess you fit the target market now.

Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
That's unfortunate, I mean, it's not like anyone else but you has been waiting, but thanks for the validation.

Play it first, instead of whining and moaning based on one screenshot.
The point is is that the series is going in a completly different direction. Look at the background of the screenshot, it's a bathroom. It's not 2Fort, it's a bathroom. I think I have a right to ***** and moan. Imagine Starcraft 2 becoming a first person cell shaded shooter. That's how pissed I am right now.

Is the game going to be fun? Probably. But it's not going to be the Team Fortress I played for years.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You always have Fortress Forver for Half-Life 2 (that modification is looking really good right now).

I kind of agree that it's kind of a dissapointment that they deviated away from the realistic concepts and overall feel but I'm going to give this one a chance. You never know, it might live up to what Team Fortress was. I haven't heard a whole lot of complaints from the community yet so, who knows. At least the concept isn't something you see every day, and it's a change of pace.

The original makers of Team Fortress probably opted for this anyway since they work for VALVe, and I'm sure Gabe Newell asked them what direction they wanted this to go.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not like TFC was realistic, what with Medics conc-jumping around the maps and Soldiers rocketjumping.

So yeah, as long as it's fun.

There'll probably be mods for it later to make it more realistic.

Less whining plskthx.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess they wanted to make him look more like a hunter (which he pretty much does). Reminds me of that guy from Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World that hunted the T-Rex.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
That looks so freakin' fun it's unbelieveable. What really amazed me was that each portal acts as window, you can actually see through it. I expected something with sprites, like the portals in Half-Life 1.

The gun infinitely falling through the two portals while shooting at itself was hillarious. I'm definately buying this even if Valve give it the full $30 price. It's like a whole new genre, totally original.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Except that Prey already did it.

Valve never does anything original.

That being said, I think the new characters look kinda cool, honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom