Talking to myself at the chat box

Force Pit Member
Best answers
6: 49 I can somewhat imagine reading books as a pleasure

06:49 <deco> but i cant imagine it lasting a while like playing video games

06:50 <deco> like, finishing a book, then starting another one after a few days

06:50 <deco> isnt like finishing a video game, for example, and then starting another

06:50 <deco> reading is very tiring

06:50 <deco> i cant imagine how it worked back then as a subtle to video games or TVs

06:51 <deco> of course u have to read

06:51 <deco> although even people who dont read novels - they still read

06:51 <deco> people who take part in reading newspapers or at the internet

06:51 <deco> its reading, and reading about politics or religion or whatever, develops ur minds as well

06:51 <deco> it doesnt have to be a novel...
06:51 <deco> I should thread this

Didn't started a thread for sometime, chose to do so xD

This is just me talking to myself, I only posted this for you to express your opinion about the subject I talked to myself about(-_-") and what I said about it.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The experience of reading a novel != the experience of reading in general.

Reading a pedantic, academic article about socioeconomic climates in the lower Middle East does not tend to make you draw on your imagination to fill in any blanks, as it is a dry expose of the facts. The same is true for all news, and much of the info in the threads in this community (with the exception of the Fight Club threads).

Reading a novel does cause eye strain after a few hours, yeah, but I wouldn't really say that it's any more tiring than playing your average video game, at least not for me. When I feel like reading, I will put down a thicker book in a week and move onto another the following day.

What's more, I often don't see the kind of character development you get from a good novel in even some of the best video games. The only characters I ever remember feeling attached to in a game were the protagonists from LoK - Kain and Raziel. Even then, it took multiple installments in the series for me to become so attached (I think by the time I finished the third game, Soul Reaver 2, I started to get an appreciation for the characters). In a book, however, I often get the sense that I have that appreciation by, at latest, the mid-point of the novel. It doesn't necessarily take me multiple novels to get that sensation.

Like it or not, I still think that the printed word, both in the academic sense and in the fictional sense, is the most effectual way to convey ideas and to stimulate your mind.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reading can be very boring to me sometimes. I am specifically talking about novels, because I actually find myself reading articles all the time. They provide a level of depth that other mediums can not achieve, but I prefer concrete images of the characters and environments, not thrown up for the reader's interpretation. It also takes a long time to get anywhere depending on the book, and since I am so used to reading for school, the idea of having a certain number of pages due a certain day makes reading a chore.

I suppose I am a visual person? I prefer writing to reading anyway. Books just do not have enough stimulus sometimes, but I have enjoyed quite a few and I hope my interest keeps improving.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
beeing honest...I HATE READING, its boring imo, I read everyday because I have to, and in order to do so I must be affected by a nice percentage of cafein in my brain. Last time I remember reading for fun was in my childhood, I loved reading Asterix. Sometimes I download an E-book but almost never end one...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If the storyline is good enough to suck me in then ill read it. As for my prefferance. Stuff like Agatha Christie and similar detective stuff.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that reading is great, especially if the writer knows how to perfectly string words together.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's more, I often don't see the kind of character development you get from a good novel in even some of the best video games.
Ah, Maj. We gotta get you playing better games my friend.

"Tales of" games
Valkyria Chronicles
COD4

and uh.... reading am gud 2.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never played any "Tales of" games, nor have I played Valkyria Chronicles, but if you think CoD4 is comparable to a good novel, we have to get you reading some good books.

Video games can do certain things a lot easier than books can such as give a player a sense of accomplishment, but in terms of telling a good story, they're inherently inferior.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never played any "Tales of" games, nor have I played Valkyria Chronicles, but if you think CoD4 is comparable to a good novel, we have to get you reading some good books.
How did you not get attatched to Capt. Price. YOU'RE A MONSTER!

I actually read quite a bit, but if you have any suggestions I'll be sure to pick them up.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Once difference between reading a novel and gaming for me is that I can play a game in short sessions but a novel I must finish in one go.

I've often spent a day reading especially long novels.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, Maj. We gotta get you playing better games my friend.

"Tales of" games
Valkyria Chronicles
COD4

and uh.... reading am gud 2.
I've played all but Valkyria Chronicles from that list and, as Sub said, did not find the characters nearly as deep or as enjoyable to follow as those in many of the books I've enjoyed. LoK, as a series, BG2, Mass Effect, KotOR - those had absorbing stories, and would probably rival some of the books I've read, but that's still pretty slim pickings...

I feel for people who may be put off of reading for leisure because of the page deadlines enforced in English classes as well as certain literature choices that schools make. I didn't much care for that stuff, either, by and large. However, I think you might be quite surprised how much more enjoyable the experience is when you're not being told what to read, when to read it, and how much to read at a time. There are some REALLY well-told stories out there, and the details are just leaps and bounds more vivid than what you'd get in a video-game, as the only limitation is your imagination.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a shame you guys haven't payed Valkyria, I'd say it's the best game of the ones I've mentioned.

I suppose just as all books don't grab everyone the same way, the same is true for games.

I'm still not seeing anyone dropping book names damnit. I'll start. Ender's Game.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
It's a shame you guys haven't payed Valkyria, I'd say it's the best game of the ones I've mentioned.

I suppose just as all books don't grab everyone the same way, the same is true for games.

I'm still not seeing anyone dropping book names damnit. I'll start. Ender's Game.
Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Lord of the flies

The life before us - Romain Gary/Emil Ajar

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's always MMOs

MMOs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> boredom

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Foundation Trilogy (Isaac Asimov)

The Dark Elf Trilogy (R.A. Salvatore)

Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut Jr.)

There's a good seven novels to keep you busy, for now :p

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I enjoyed "the gun seller" by Hugh Laurie's (the guy who plays house) a lot.
if you do happen to get it, make sure it's in English, so the comedy isn't lost in the translation

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
House of Leaves is a good book, despite it's almost viral popularity. The entire book is an allegory for exploring the darkness within the human soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom