T1 internet services?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My dad is getting tired of me and everyone else in the house constantly downloading and slowing down the internet connection, so he's thinking about getting a T1 connection to replace our comcast cable internet setup.
Anybody have a T1 service provider they're using and can recommend on the U.S. East Coast?

Best answers
Arn't T1's-T4's provided by the phone company? I can't remember. But hey, if your dad want's to shell out over $1000 a month for internet.........

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you live in the east coast you should use Cox -.-

But in all seriousness. um... wtf?

You can't get a faster connection than cable. It's just not happening. T1 is like 1.5 mb/s or some **** like that. Cable is much faster. Now if you are splitting the cable line, that makes sense, in which case you should get a new cable so it's not split and get a router, then everyone will be happy :)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As Phoenix said, T1s are only 1.5MB/s. Cable on the east coast goes up to 6MB/s. T1s are also notoriously expensive. I'd suggest trying another cable company.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:

You can't get a faster connection than cable. It's just not happening. T1 is like 1.5 mb/s or some **** like that. Cable is much faster. Now if you are splitting the cable line, that makes sense, in which case you should get a new cable so it's not split and get a router, then everyone will be happy :)
That's the things; we're splitting the line 4 ways most of time through our router.

EDIT: @SailorAlea: I'll do some research on other cable companies, then try reccomending that to my dad. When we started with Comcast though everyone that I'd heard from said that Comcast was the fastest; guess things change though.

EDIT2: Guess we could also try upgrading to Comcast's business package, too . . .

Best answers
Even if you got a T1, that's 1.5mb down/up, split that 4 ways and your even worse off than you are now.

Also, the business package's wouldn't help you much either. All the business ones do is open more ports (like for FTP servers, mail and web servers) and would give you the same speed your currently paying for, but with faster upload.

For me, I'm with Charter Communications with a 3MB cable line. 350kb/s down/30kb/s up. Their business package is 3MB, with 350kb/s down, but 150kb/s up. Not gaining much for the extra amount of money ($250/montly for business package instead of $65 for home use).

What speed you ya'll have now? 1MB, 2MB, 3MB, 4MB, etc?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Comcast's business package actually seems to have something behind it though; We have 6mb for our standard connection and I think 358kb up, and Comcast is offering 8mb down 768kb up for their business service for $30 more, so its something to really consider.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe you have too many computers eatting up your connection. Which third world country are you from that you have a family large enough to clog a cable connection anyway?

I don't really see what you're complaining about in the first place. I get 320 KB/s max on the cable at my Dad's, and half that here with the ADSL at my Mom's. Multiply either one by four and you'll have a number much smaller than 6 MB/s. We have no troubles with anything at our relatively slow speeds. So unless you're downloading the entire box office line-up while the four of you do some online gaming, I don't see how anybody could use all of 6 MB/s.'

Am I the only one who finds these speeds luxurious, or have all you forgotten the days of 28.8 kbps modems and internet plans that limited you to 5 hours a month?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:

COX = Limited to 526K. ;_;

But no one really uses the network so I get to be on it with no spikes.

Best answers
frsrblch said:
Maybe you have too many computers eatting up your connection. Which third world country are you from that you have a family large enough to clog a cable connection anyway?

I don't really see what you're complaining about in the first place. I get 320 KB/s max on the cable at my Dad's, and half that here with the ADSL at my Mom's. Multiply either one by four and you'll have a number much smaller than 6 MB/s. We have no troubles with anything at our relatively slow speeds. So unless you're downloading the entire box office line-up while the four of you do some online gaming, I don't see how anybody could use all of 6 MB/s.'

Am I the only one who finds these speeds luxurious, or have all you forgotten the days of 28.8 kbps modems and internet plans that limited you to 5 hours a month?
Agreed. Unless 3/4 comps are downloading multiple files on bit-torrent there's no way you can clog up a 6mb connection.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dj^Swift said:
COX = Limited to 526K. ;_;

But no one really uses the network so I get to be on it with no spikes.
I don't know where you're getting your info from, but after 2 minutes of browsing, I found Cox plans offering 15mbit down/2mbit up. Their "premiere" program.

Best answers
I hear comcast has a lot of problems with connectivity to certain games. That would piss me off.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Comcast works fine, it's not as good as cox because it's not as fast. Dude. Cox is the only way to go if you want the fastest speeds. You can download well over 8 mbps (eight megabytes per second, not 8 kilobytes, or 800 kilobytes, but megabytes, that's a-****ing-lot) and that's for one monthly cost of like 55 USD a month.

Cox is by far, by far the fastest internet ever. It's always been faster than Comcast. When I lived in the East Coast, Comcast hadn't even come to the east yet. (I currently have comcast) Cox would even upgrade my internet for free. I started out with a 6mb service. 10 days later they upgraded it to 8 for me. I was amazed. No extra charges, no fees. Just one very affordable monthly payment.

Plus you have the sexual inuendo. What's not to like "So, you been with Cox long? How long have you been working for Cox? Does this mean you like Cox? I hear Cox is fast, do you like that?" etc. It's so fun to mess with them while they install it =p

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Comcast works fine, it's not as good as cox because it's not as fast. Dude. Cox is the only way to go if you want the fastest speeds. You can download well over 8 mbps (eight megabytes per second, not 8 kilobytes, or 800 kilobytes, but megabytes, that's a-****ing-lot) and that's for one monthly cost of like 55 USD a month.

Cox is by far, by far the fastest internet ever. It's always been faster than Comcast. When I lived in the East Coast, Comcast hadn't even come to the east yet. (I currently have comcast) Cox would even upgrade my internet for free. I started out with a 6mb service. 10 days later they upgraded it to 8 for me. I was amazed. No extra charges, no fees. Just one very affordable monthly payment.

Plus you have the sexual inuendo. What's not to like "So, you been with Cox long? How long have you been working for Cox? Does this mean you like Cox? I hear Cox is fast, do you like that?" etc. It's so fun to mess with them while they install it =p
Mbps or Mbit/s is 1,000,000 bits per second (or 1,000 kilobits per second).

Cox offers up to 18Mbps, or 18,000,000 bits per second, or 18,000 kilobits per second. This is not 18 megabytes per second.

A byte has 8 bits.
A kilobyte (1,024 bytes) has 8,192 bits.
A megabyte (1,024 kilobytes) has 8,388,608 bits.

Therefore, an 18,000,000 bits per second connection can download 2.145MB/s.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Mbps or Mbit/s is 1,000,000 bits per second (or 1,000 kilobits per second).

Cox offers up to 18Mbps, or 18,000,000 bits per second, or 18,000 kilobits per second. This is not 18 megabytes per second.

A byte has 8 bits.
A kilobyte (1,024 bytes) has 8,192 bits.
A megabyte (1,024 kilobytes) has 8,388,608 bits.

Therefore, an 18,000,000 bits per second connection can download 2.145MB/s.
A Mbps is the same as a Mb/s in my eyes. So 1,024 kilobytes to me is 1 megabyte, as I stated. So when I say 8 megabytes I'm talking it's equivalent to roughly 8,000 kilobytes.

I don't do "oooo a shiny 18, that means it's hella fast dude"- I used to own Cox. So when I say Mbps, i mean megabytes per second, not bits. So I'm pretty much telling the consumer, in this case Gohan, exactly how fast he will download. They use bits because it's a higher number and potential customers figure "bigger number= faster speeds" when infact that's not always the case.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Megabit is Mb. Megabyte is MB. There's a big difference.

Fire Phoenix said:
I used to own Cox. So when I say Mbps, i mean megabytes per second, not bits.
When you say that, you're wrong.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Or you could just say either "Megabit" or "Megabyte" to stop the confusing.. Or you could always just say XXX KB/Sec.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
When you say that, you're wrong.
No one gives a flying **** about megabits. Everyone cares about megabytes. And so far you're the only one saying "wow you're wrong." Which means that ohhh I don't know maybe that it's interchangably used. Or that no one cares enough about megabits to give 2 ****s about it.

Oh man I'm downloading at 3 megabits a second! DUUUUUDE! Yeah no one says that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
No one gives a flying **** about megabits. Everyone cares about megabytes. And so far you're the only one saying "wow you're wrong." Which means that ohhh I don't know maybe that it's interchangably used. Or that no one cares enough about megabits to give 2 ****s about it.

Oh man I'm downloading at 3 megabits a second! DUUUUUDE! Yeah no one says that.
Well technically you are wrong, although people will generally understand what you mean. Also, you know that we don't need that kind of attitude, so please drop it, FIre Phoenix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom