Swooping Changes - In with the New

Best answers
Currently there are two primary methods of swooping:

First and foremost, it's used to maneuver and attack. A player will swarm around the same area and avoid being hit, and when the opponent recharges, they will close the distance quickly and strike when they are off-guard. This is often done through teleporting, or a combination of teleporting and swooping.

Second, there is the head-on charge. An old strategy was to transform and immediately charge the enemy, as they would be caught off-guard from the sudden change in speed. People caught on and learned they could block. But even so, many now incorporate, if not completely rely upon, teleporting and swooping so quickly that the opponent can't respond in time.

The similarities between both of these methods suggest that swooping is in fact a feature based on catching the opponent off-guard. It makes perfect sense then to increase the swooping speed, as it would lend to its ability in doing so. It DOES increase the effectiveness in Head-On attacks, without a doubt, but it also takes away from swarming an area and countering in reponse, and this is why.

Swoop is controlled by two aspects: The keyboard directionals and the 360 scope of the mouse. The problem with adding speed to this equation lies in the mouse. You move so fast now that you can't control your swoop nearly as well, and so when you swarm an area, the circumference your swoop creates grows larger. As a result, the opponents end up being farther apart from one another after they swarm. So not only is the distance greater, but the teleport range is shorter, so it makes it impossible for the melee system to work the way it used to. It's like taking the things that make the current melee system work and pulling them apart. So now, the best method to attack with swoop is through Head-On attacks, as I'm sure you've noticed.

There is a good side to this though. If you're looking for a diverse melee system, this is the kind of change you need to make it happen. Don't depend on the swoop feature to dictate the entire melee experience for the game.

This is the part in the post where you either agree or disagree with me. If you want the melee system to be the way it was before, you need to reduce the swoop speed and increase the teleporting distance again. If you want to incorporate a new melee system and make swooping a PART of it, then consider these changes.

edit
Essentially, you need to limit the maneuverability of the mouse. You can do this by making the mouse's movement limited to how much it can change the swoop's direction at a time.
/edit

This does a few things...

Your position in combat is now more important. Without the 360 swooping, you can't just swoop in one direction and IMMEDIATELY turn around and still face forward. If you want to go backwards, you either need to stop swooping and turn, or you need to fly backwards. Either way, you leave yourself more vulnerable.

There's more openings in melee. Your immediate response to this might be a blanch, but it's better this way. It means there's more ways you can attack THEM now too. Before when you swarmed, there was no chance the enemy could attack you from behind while swooping... unless you were stupid enough to fly directly away from someone when they were twice as fast as you. Without the ability to 360, your back WILL be open to an attack if you don't shift your swoop path well and unpredictably enough.

The current swoop is too unpredictable. You can't even look two seconds ahead of where a person is swooping and guess the area they'll be within, if they're any good. By making swoop less maneuverable, you make it easier to pin point where they will be, and it makes meleeing more engaging. This would shorten the distance between players, and promote a more close-quarters fight.

This style syncs up well with the faster swoop speed. Swooping would be JUST as much a part of melee, except you'd need to time your strikes better as you wouldn't be swooping all the time. You don't need to redirect your swoops if you use them at the right times. Although if all you did was swoop, they would simply block you and batt you away every time. If you never swoop, then the enemy will control the distance game, coming and going as they please.

I suggest using a higher base flying speed for basic melee, or changing turbo to ONLY drain Ki and not stamina, as this also syncs up with the shorter teleport distance. Increase the Guard speed and you have yourself a new melee system with the better aspects of swoop melee imbedded. I have another thread which talks about an easily created close-quarter melee system. I even made a demo!

Please comment, make suggestions, criticize, and most importantly, imagine as you will.

Last edited:
Best answers
I don't mean to recall attention to my original post, but I removed my unrealistic suggestion for changing mouse buttons for swooping.

Simply put, the mouse's influence in determining the direction swoop goes should be greatly lessened. Where you now can redirect it easily with the mouse, it instead should be limited to a set amount of change over time. This would create the same effect as I mentioned before, and be MUCH easier to implement, without having to relearn swooping over again.

The rest of what I posted still applies, but may have more credibility now that it's been corrected.

Also, please give me some feedback. I want to know what others think about this and the effects it might have on gameplay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom