Swoop/dash/gliding Idea's

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I'll try to keep this brief, I just have a few idea's that I think would improve the current movement system. Feel free to pick it apart and perhaps improve upon it.

Drift/gliding

We know how good it was for conserving ki in 1.2, and also was a tactical manoeuvre, Imo we should have it in 1.3, but build it in as a feature rather than how it used to be. If you tap the fly button during any kind of movement you go into a drift, instead of falling completely downward like the last version. It should carry you more in the direction you were moving before hand, as if the gravity of the server was much lower, fly again would stop you, but overall it would be a drift based on momentum. Oh and it turns off turbo when used.

Dash

If the fly button tapping to drift isnt liked I'd say bring back the double tap and hold. I really think this'd add a lot more control, leaving you free to glide, teleport and walljump.

Swoop

Instead of having to charge up turbo/swoop all the time, in my opinion we should have turbo as the swoop mode, (no dashing while turbo is on - just swoop) in addition to that, it should not turn off while gathering ki. Instead, during turbo, gathering ki would consume stamina, turbo turns off when you wish or when struck. I was also thinking maybe the swoop while you charge the initial turbo would be how it is now (long distance with an increase of speed), all other swooping would represent the 1.2 swoop, set speed with double tap initiation, traveling shorter distances with slightly more ki consumption. When turbo is off, stamina rejuvenates at a much faster rate, the rate stamina would rejuvenate during turbo would be less than half of the normal rate.

anyway thats the jist of it =\

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I'll try to keep this brief, I just have a few idea's that I think would improve the current movement system. Feel free to pick it apart and perhaps improve upon it.

Drift/gliding

We know how good it was for conserving ki in 1.2, and also was a tactical manoeuvre, Imo we should have it in 1.3, but build it in as a feature rather than how it used to be. If you tap the fly button during any kind of movement you go into a drift, instead of falling completely downward like the last version. It should carry you more in the direction you were moving before hand, as if the gravity of the server was much lower, fly again would stop you, but overall it would be a drift based on momentum. Oh and it turns off turbo when used.

Dash

If the fly button tapping to drift isnt liked I'd say bring back the double tap and hold. I really think this'd add a lot more control, leaving you free to glide, teleport and walljump.

Swoop

Instead of having to charge up turbo/swoop all the time, in my opinion we should have turbo as the swoop mode, (no dashing while turbo is on - just swoop) in addition to that, it should not turn off while gathering ki. Instead, during turbo, gathering ki would consume stamina, turbo turns off when you wish or when struck. I was also thinking maybe the swoop while you charge the initial turbo would be how it is now (long distance with an increase of speed), all other swooping would represent the 1.2 swoop, set speed with double tap initiation, traveling shorter distances with slightly more ki consumption.

anyway thats the jist of it =\
Interesting idea. I realy like the fly button to glide thing.

But what would be the difrence betwean dash and swoop (based on your swoop idea).

Wouldnt that make dash kinda pointless.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
well, stamina and ki drain would increase substantially during the turbo mode, meaning it'd be harder work to sustain and may backfire if you use it too much. Like in the series D: That's what I thought anyway :x

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Its a quite interesting idea but I'm not sure yet if I like the idea. Have to think about it a bit when I'm not concentrating on something else (like right now heh)

@davy: get your ass on msn or aim more frequently! ;)

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd like to highlight that the dash should be much faster than swoop, It'd be there for more close quarter confrontation, better for dodging, and cost a lot less ki. When turbo is off, stamina rejuvenates at a much faster rate, the rate stamina would rejuvenate during turbo would be less than half of the normal rate.

I dunno, nobody else got any comments? I just feel that the movement in the current version isn't really what we'd all like, neither is it true to the series. It's awkward, stiff, inflexible and has a lack of freedom which was there during the much simpler systems.

Best answers
it sounds better then the current system... sure is worth a try..

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I love it. I ****ing love it.

:yes:

Beta Tester Squad
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Gliding sould be remove it's verry spamabal and conserv ki agains a noob the noob will have not a chanse in hell

Best answers
*sigh*

Gliding is hardly spammable in an offensive context, since when you glide, you glide in an arc, its difficult to aim and basically impossible to angle properly during this, which helped keep it balanced.

As for gliding to conserve ki, it was necessary, as with swooping the amount of ki drain wasnt exactly ideal for quick combat.

It sounds to me like you need to learn how to conserve your ki, rather than complain about the ways people go about doing so.

Now, as for the suggestion, it sounds like quite an improvement on the current 1.3 system I still prefer 1.23's freeform approach, but your Idea seemed like a nice middleground where 1.23 players could feel atleast a little bit at home in 1.3.

I still cant help but be concerned when "close quarters combat" is mentioned, esf succeeded at certain things (basic melee, fast paced fighting), and didnt succeed as well in other areas (ad melee)

I'd just like to see the team play Esf's strengths ( eg. the freedom of movement in basic melee, and the range of playstyles it allowed), instead of this kinda wierd psuedo Budokai Tenkaitchi 2 vibe they seem to be going for, where we get movesets that limit the different ways that we can play.

I loved esf because of the sort of no-limits range of movement we were given when fighting, so in my opinion, thats what should be preserved, instead of dumbed down.

I just hope through all the feedback through the Open Beta, Esf will reach a point where what made the game great is kept somewhat intact, and the close quarters stuff wont be as claustrophobic as it sounds.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I never liked the whole gliding/drifting concept. It doesn't make any sense at all. I mean when in the show did Goku stop flying and drift to save his ki? I don't remember that part.

DBZ not

(also that rhymes)

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I happens quite a bit actually, but its more like what i tried to describe (except they usually come to a stop) - sometimes they did just drop to the ground though in a parabola when they were travelling somewhere (old pose of dropping out of flight - from end swoop to the ground) they basically decelerate towards the end of their swoop and kinda "air brake" at the end, usually happens when somebody is stopping their swoop or is hit and is trying to regain control. It's usually used when they're attacking someone, they teleport, the attacker stops swooping but continues his momentum and turns around. That's the basic idea behind this anyway, to give the characters a sense of momentum.

Best answers
If Esf followed the show exactly, we'd spend an hour powering up, then try to monologue our enemies to death, and finally resort to fighting them but with repetetive and sometimes poorly animated attacks, and then have to tune in three weeks later to actually see who wins.

You have to draw the line somewhere and realise whats in the show, isnt exactly conducive to fun gameplay.

Gliding while not exactly in the realm of dbz, is a large part of what made esf enjoyable to play, I think there should be less emphasis on emulating the show, and more focus on a fun and flexible playing experience.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I disagree. Gliding is just another one of the things from a past version of esf that people just cant let go because they are so used to playing that version.

Beta Tester Squad
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I disagree. Gliding is just another one of the things from a past version of esf that people just cant let go because they are so used to playing that version.
Hibiki it's right people ar to use to play 1.2 and when the see something new they get scared , I realy Hope they remove Grliding

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
And I say we keep it.
and since my word > yours ... :p

Parts of the movement system is one of the things where 1.2 is superior to all other versions so we should keep it.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I disagree, (with posts above Ready =P) fly alone (no swoop no dash) is slow enough, gliding is what alowed people to develop complex maneuvers and techniques, such as mid swoop teleporting or teleport swoop (now wud be dash) techniques, it opened up the gameplay giving us more freedom. The more 1.3 seems to be progressing, the less freedom and expandability we're being given, the more little systems that are getting put in place mean's we are being confined, it's taking away from what initially made this game so great. It scares me when people use the response "can't let go" when somebody argues an idea, the reason it's being argued is for good reason, these reasons get instantly dismissed because its all to easy to give a flipant statement showing such disregard.

Imo movement is the vital part of ESF, at the moment it is nothing but stiff and awkward, and I've been playing 1.3 for quite a while now, I haven't touched 1.2 in months, I still think the movement has taken a step backward and I think most players agree with me. We've been adding too many things that it now seems like all these things are getting in the way of what used to be possible with just the very basics, the game isn't as fun, and thats whats at stake here, how fun the game is.

Beta Tester Squad
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I disagree, (with posts above Ready =P) fly alone (no swoop no dash) is slow enough, gliding is what alowed people to develop complex maneuvers and techniques, such as mid swoop teleporting or teleport swoop (now wud be dash) techniques, it opened up the gameplay giving us more freedom. The more 1.3 seems to be progressing, the less freedom and expandability we're being given, the more little systems that are getting put in place mean's we are being confined, it's taking away from what initially made this game so great. It scares me when people use the response "can't let go" when somebody argues an idea, the reason it's being argued is for good reason, these reasons get instantly dismissed because its all to easy to give a flipant statement showing such disregard.

Imo movement is the vital part of ESF, at the moment it is nothing but stiff and awkward, and I've been playing 1.3 for quite a while now, I haven't touched 1.2 in months, I still think the movement has taken a step backward and I think most players agree with me. We've been adding too many things that it now seems like all these things are getting in the way of what used to be possible with just the very basics, the game isn't as fun, and thats whats at stake here, how fun the game is.
All the players want Gliding because it's good to use for simple melee attack's Gliding whit a few teleports and esf 1.3 wiill similer to 1.2 becuse evryone will start using only simple melee again

Best answers
I agree completely with Davidskiwan.

1.23 movement, was so freeform, that it allowed people to be inventive with the way they played, there's only so much you can do with the new system.

People talk like the movement system has been re-invented in 1.3, all that has been done is restrictions have been placed on how much we can move, and how easy it is to do so.

John Volkov, so far all you've done is repeat yourself, without really stating any reasons why you dont like gliding, how is getting rid of one of the key elements of moving around in esf, going to make things less repetitive..?
(Do you want to get rid of teleport too?)

Its just going to force people to play a certain way, which kills alot of the appeal of esf.

As for "letting go" Its not a case of being unwilling to adjust to a new system plenty of players are willing to do that including myself, but not when the new system of movement is inferior in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom