Switching between English and Japanese Voices?

Best answers
Hello All,
I recently downloaded this mod, and to my surprise found it very entertaining, good job. However, when I installed it, I had selected Japanese voices because I had never heard of it before. But over time, the unrealistic high pitched adult voices started irritating me, but I did not know how to change the voices to english. I tried looking in the options section, but didn't see anything in audio, and I couldn't find anything when using the search icon. If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

b34ny

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You need to reinstall.

The option installs either the english or the japanese sound files. So if you choose one you dont get the others.

Misanthropist
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Is the team considering an option to switch voices instead of doing it just on the install?

For example

On install you have the option between English(Normal), or English & Japanese (Additional Languages). One would select the former if they want to conserve filespace.

On install /esf/sound/english & /esf/sound/japanese are created.

In game options, selecting english means all character sounds are routed through /sounds/english, and selecting japanese means all character sounds are routed through /sounds/japanese.

Although this idea is very binary, it would be possible to have a selection of languages this way, as there are more than english and japanese versions of dragonball out there for people to make audio files with.

A bit of work in the sound prog dept, but is it being considered?

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Depends on the way sounds will be implanted in the end.

Currently we have them bound to model animations. And as suck the sounds are determined by the model aswell as the sound files.

Thats a good thing for custom models since they can have their own sound arsenal. But it does not really allow changing sounds without overwriting files.

Misanthropist
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I see. The sounds are linked through the qc files right? Or are they actually embedded in the mdl file?

I think that the mdl rigged versions is a better way in the end, at least for custom heads. It would be better if you could link to new [sound] folders instead of overwriting existing ones.

For this new system to work you want it so (for example)

If i wanted a Goku in Japanese (or whatever language), i could make a new custom sound folder for him, clone and decompile a Goku mdl, edit the qc so that the sounds linked to my folder instead, and recompile.

Now i would have two goku models, one where sounds would link to the default sounds folder, the other would link to a my custom folder. I simply copy whatever mdl i want into esf for the sounds that i want.

If i have a bunch of non default custom characters, i can have their custom sound folders always there, and i just have to copy my mdl over the appropriate class if i want to use them. If i want to remove the custom mdl, i can just copy the default mdl back in and not have to worry about changing all the sounds back again.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I see. The sounds are linked through the qc files right? Or are they actually embedded in the mdl file?

I think that the mdl rigged versions is a better way in the end, at least for custom heads. It would be better if you could link to new [sound] folders instead of overwriting existing ones.

For this new system to work you want it so (for example)

If i wanted a Goku in Japanese (or whatever language), i could make a new custom sound folder for him, clone and decompile a Goku mdl, edit the qc so that the sounds linked to my folder instead, and recompile.

Now i would have two goku models, one where sounds would link to the default sounds folder, the other would link to a my custom folder. I simply copy whatever mdl i want into esf for the sounds that i want.

If i have a bunch of non default custom characters, i can have their custom sound folders always there, and i just have to copy my mdl over the appropriate class if i want to use them. If i want to remove the custom mdl, i can just copy the default mdl back in and not have to worry about changing all the sounds back again.
Well lets just say that the animation sound system is preety buggy and we are thinking of improving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom