Survey: Your Fighting Games

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well kinda like the topic. Im sure a lot of you people here like to play fighting games such as Dead or Alive, Smash Brothers, Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc. Im wondering of the fighting games you play. Out of them, which one do you like the best and why do you like them. Im going to describe some of the fighting games that I like and how they play, plz share your opinions. Im going to use these to figure out something for adv melee :D

Dead or Alive 2:
- Attacking
depending on your combo you can attack the body which can link to an attack to the legs. After your finished with your combo, there might be a delay which can give the opposing player a chance to fight back

- Blocking
You can stand and block which stops attacks to the head and body. While crouch blocking only stops attacks to the feet.

- Retaliating
While the opposing player is attacking you can counter their attacks by pressing a combination. This counter can either damage the opponent or dodge their attack.

Smash Brothers Melee :
- Attacking
Either press attack or special alone, or with a direction to cause a stronger attack.

- Blocking
You create a sphere which is in penetrable to all attacks except a throw. But as your sphere is attacked, it loses is strength which in turn breaks itself, causing the blocking player to become dizzy and stunned.

- Retaliating
Either block the attack then throw in return. Or by sidestepping. By holding block then tapping a direction, you are able to dodge attacks and throws to your advantage.

Soul Calibur 2 :
- Attacking
Pressing a combination of attacks and directions, you are able to attack either the body or legs.

- Blocking
Holding block will block attacks to the body. Crouch blocking will only block leg attacks.

- Retaliating
You can either press forward + block / back + block to counter either attacks to your body or legs. This counter does not damage the enemy, but it throws them off balance giving you a small amount of time to attack back.

In conclusion, all these games have different ways of being played. But share similarites. You can block the attack and counter with a throw. You can dodge your enemy to attack in return. Some retaliations throw your enemy off guard giving you time to attack. While others do immense damage as a counter attack. What Im trying to say is.. by borrowing ideas, we might be able to change the way Adv Melee is played.

I am not guaranteeing these thoughts will be used, but I want to come to a final answer which can help increase the challenge and fun of adv melee. So if you guys want add to this, please do. I guess you could say this is a survey. :D

Best answers
You play DOAU on Xboxlive? IF so whats your gamer tag?

Dead of alive Ultimate
Dead or Alive 3
Street Fighter: Third Strike
Soul Calibur 2
Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3
Super Smash Bros
Mortal Kombat Deception
Guilty Gear X
Capcom vs SNK 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2

Best answers
Soul Calibur 2
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3
Tekken Tag (no tekken 5 here yet :( )
Budokai 3
Marvel Vs Capcom : Clash Of The Superheros
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat 3

#1 Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3
I would say i play best at Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3. It's very easy to pick
up (so new players have some chance) and there can be some pretty intense matches. You can block all frontal attacks (except specials) so you need to find openings in their attacks or get behind the enemy, which leads to long yet fast paced fights.
I also like the fact that countering and countering counters has given the game an "Anti-button-basher-gameplay"

- Attacking
Combo's are done by continueously pressing just two buttons. B or mixture of B And A's. Some combo's may leave you open, while some shorter ones won't.

- Blocking
You can stand still to block which stops attacks to the whole body. (this can be changed to block by button if you prefer)
Strong attacks and projectile weapons such as kunai will still give a small amount of damage however.

- Retaliating
You can either using Kiwami to reappear behind them and knock them across the screen or use character specfic counters/dodge counters.

#2 Tekken
Next i would say Tekken. Lots of different fighting styles to choose from and lots of techniques master. Although Tekken really requires the other player to know alot of combos too if they're gonna last :p
But i think someone else should explain tekken, i havn't played it in ages >_<

- Attacking
Using a variation of 2 punch buttons, 2 kick buttons and the directional pad you can make combo's by exicuting the right combination quick enough.

- Blocking
Standing still will block high attacks, to block lower attacks you must crouch.

- Retaliating
Sidestep, Backstep.

Best answers
I liked "dbz vs sf" much because i knew a moove that was great , with vegitto , I grabed the guy beatten him in the air , give a big bang kamehameha , then vegitto was splitting into vegeta and goku , the enemy was in the center , each one of them fiering at him :]

Best answers
ok so those are the games I play :

tekken 5 - awesome game!
marvel vs capcom 2- button mashing madness
super smash brothers- used to play it, still I am the greatest player in the universe :)
soul calibur 1 & 2 - they practically didnt change much to my disappointment :(
dragon ball z budokai 3- very good game tough I came to such a high level at it I am having trouble finding challanges :D , no online support either :(

fight night round 2 - a very very very good boxing game which is the most realistic in the way of fighting hand to hand combat, just awesome game and I would recommend it to everyone!

the way esf is right now is ok but would use some upgrading... I dont have too many ideas right now but one way I suggested is in the suggestions section called "dixing advanced melle" or something like that :|

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do't really play games like tekke, mortal combat or coul calibur, just don't like the style of fighting and soemtimes too many buttons to remeber, imo

Super Smash Brothers (and melee)-GREAT game, not much "already set up" combos, so the playing style is completely customizable. Crazy combos and is a great game to play with some friends.

Sonic Fighters-Ok, i doubt nayone has played this, but its's actually not that bad. If I had threal version, i could kick more ass then I already did...And gotta love that Super Sonic

Dragonball Z Super Sonic warrior-One of the best handheld DBZ games ever. IT even has kaioken and is equipped with fast fighting and good combos.

Dragonball Z Budokai 3-Tho the 3d-ness of the 1st one will sometimes be missed by me, the new version is so much more fast paced than the second, and great eye candy too

Marvel v.s Capcom 2-Ok, I still haven't brought outthe potential in this game, but he fact that you can launch someone into the air, using your favorite character. to combo the crap out of them gets to me.

Gotcha Force- If you haven't played this game, its a must. If you choose a fighting "borg" (little toy/robot like character) you can do fast paced combos that are semi-digitally inserted. Beams (one that is used exactly like the hadoken), Blasts, guns, Dragons, Swords, Fist, hyper mode, and even some fusions.

NAruto NinjaTaisan 3-As long as brother doesnt play/beat me, im fine. Any Naruto fan would love this game. Long chained combos, transormations, real voice overs, almost all the characters, and a lot of unlockables.

Guilty Gear X2-I have Isuka, but I haven't unlocked much, so im going with X2. Great combos, great grahpic, easy to chain combos, and any time a gold Sol, it's a fast match.

Sonic Battle-If it was 3d, it be one of the greatest games ever. Lacks a diverse set of combos and no super sonic...But fighting with uniquie attacks as your favorite sonic character is a must for me.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never liked fighting games that much. The only one I do like is super smash bros for n64.

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My xbox live Screen name is :
ShadowDKD
DOAU / Halo 2 / Ghost Recon 2 / Tenchu : Return from Darkness

anyway, if you could. please describe how you fight in your preferred games unless its already here. Like Attacking / Blocking / Retaliating, but if someone already described them, add onto it if possible. Like how the fighting system works and what not. How you could "counter" or retaliate.

Hopefully everything will link into one giant idea :D

Best answers
well in dbz budokai u can either defend the punches/kicks which still damages u a bit, u can evade them which doesnt damage u but lowers ur ki when using it, and u can also do teleport behind the opponents back to punch/kick him as a sort of counter, but that move will take exactly 1/2 of u ki :(

fight night round 2 is a bit complicated at first but u get the hang of it pretty quickly and since theres no kicks there is more simple anyway, u can either:

defend: u press the block button and press the right analog stick up and down to determine where u wanna defend (in the head or the body)

parry: its like defending but it leaves ur opponent open for attack, u press the block button once again but u have to be very precise and aim the block button to exactly where the punch is going to land, if u do it accurately u kind of evade the attack and the opponent is left completely open for attack for a mere second

evading - quite simple u use L button and the left analog stick to determine which part of the body u wanna move to evade, its a better way to defend since u dont take damage at all but it doesnt always work and u just look like a fool and get a punch in the face :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I used to be the master on Smash Bros. My friend always played as Samus and I play as Pikachu, so I when I played by myself, I would train against as many level 9 Samus' as I could handle. Then I realized how crappy the game was, so I stopped playing.

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah Smash Brothers was cool. Pikachu!! :D Thats my favorite character too but Im not as good as I was any more :( Anyway.. Later on Im going to make another survey with all the information I gather from this thread and make a little vote thing :D
If you could, plz describe the fighting mechanics of your fighting game and not what you can do. Since Im going to use this information to help develope a final idea, I need to know how they work. Thanks guys.

Best answers
Def Jam Vendetta: Fight for New York, but only because you could pimp your own fighter, train his skills, and develope a unique fighting style from 5 styles available to you..

Also, grabbing and throwing was essential in this game.
It worked really smooth, if you pushed an attack just in time when someone attempted to grab you, you'd kick/punch free and push them back..
This was fairly easy, avoiding abuse..
The trick was however, if you got a few succesfull hits in, your opponent's button commands would get slower and slower, allowing you to grab him without resistance..
If you got grabbed, your opponent was able to do massive damage..

I really like the fighting mechanics of Bloody Roar 4..

It's actually not that special of a fighting system, but it is soooooo silky smooth.. buttons react quickly, and moves are executed at exactly the time you enter them..
(Making this a game not sensitive to buttonbashers.. :))
Also, what i think is really cool, was the fact that you could very skillfully dodge attacks in this game..
By pressing and holding the block button, you would (logically) block.. you could also block hard strong attacks, resulting in your char stumbling back/losing his balance for a moment, leaving you open for attack for like a second..

The cool thing was that if you managed to press block exactly at the time the attack would hit, you'd dodge the attack..
(But you had to block at that EXACT moment, sometimes causing you to get a massive beating cuz you couldn't keep up the dodging, or pressed to soon or too late..)
Most importantly, if you managed to dodge an attack, there was no delay, allow you to counterattack that very moment..
Sometimes an opponent would be faster than you, and you'd have to keep dodging, only being able to counterattack when his combo-sequence was finished..

Really cool, but i doubt you'd be able to input something like this Darkthooth, seeing as online play has ping issues, and this is reaction time in a fraction of a second i'm talking about.. :(

Very very cool.. nonetheless.. .. :laff:

Best answers
Marvel vs Capcom 1 & 2
Street Fighter III 2nd Strike
Rage Of The Dragons
X-men vs Street Fighter

coolest 2d games out there , personally i like the 2d games much more then the 3d games , it just feels more natural in my opinion

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Sentient.. Your right about not being able to have that perfect timing dodge thing. Intead I was thinking of something else last night. I couldnt sleep and an idea was building in my head. A lot of common people here wanted adv melee to have more skill to it and not so noob friendly.

I had an idea of a block meter, the more you block the greater change it building up allowing you to DODGE the attacks instead. And as you make the meter raise some more you can counter block attack, in other words. Hit them the same time they hit you cancelling the attack. Of course I put other factors in there which make it harder but thats my basic idea for blocking. But the thing is.. itll slowly drain itself. Every time you get hit you lose about 1/3 of your block meter causing you to take more damage when you block. What do you guys think of that?

Like I said, I didnt name all the other factorS what do you of that so far? thiink itll work

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to go with Tekken overall as the best (imo) fighting game I've played, with Tekken 5 as the best installment. There are a couple of button mashing friendly characters, but for the most part they are far and few between. You have to know something about the person you are playing with to use them effectively against a decent player, and the better you know your own characters, the more obvious it is that you've spent time with the game. On the one hand, this makes the game not super friendly for new players, but on the other at least you can feel when you are starting to figure out your playing style. With Paul, one of the more "basic" characters move-wise (generally hard hitting attacks, mostly a timing character), I can go round to round changing my style by just using a different set of moves and it all feels like Paul. There are enough moves for everybody now that once you get a character down-pat you can just move on to new moves with him or just better your timing. In the newest installment (five) everybody has a counter attack as well.

I also enjoy what little story there is in Tekken and the cutscene endings are often hilarious or just generally impressive, as are the intros, which is something I haven't seen out of soul calibur or a 2d fighting game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Outside of ESF, I don't play too many fighting games as they all tend to be pretty much the same, so that's why my list is so short.

That's my excuse anyway ^^;

Dead Or Alive 2

- Attacking/Countering: One of the best things about this game is the ability to attack/counter attack, and counter the counterattack.
While blocking, the defending player has the opportunity to watch their opponent and if they can see or know where their opponent is going to attack (high, middle, or low), they can press the counter button plus the direction of the incoming attack.

[I think this is how it works, its been almost a year since I've played though]

The default strength of the counter is weak, but it can become more powerful if you link a combination to the counter, allowing you to perform devasting attacks and throws that could bring the fight to an end.

Best answers
I Challenge someone on XBox Live in DOAU

Gamertag: Perfect Legend
PurposE: Perfect Ownage

Things to do before you fight Perfect Legend.

1. Hide your feelings so you won't get hurt.
2. Say a prayer
3. Prepare yourself
4. Get Owned

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hehe, My xlive name is
ShadowDKD
lets play sometime :) I use kasumi and hitomi. fun characters I must say. Anywho.. what do you gusy think of my blocking meter idea? There are a lot of elements I obviously left out for secrecy :) but what do you think of blocking to build up a meter which can lead you to counter attacking or counter blocking
- you and the opponent hitting each other with the same attack causing each other to cancel out
but when you counter attack, you might have to use up ki and you both will probably have some small damage done like, 3-6, depending on your block meter. The skill in this is.. would you rather just block and lose no health. Or take the chance to become greedy and build up your meter so you can do the attacker damage to make him die quicker? :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SF3:3rd strike is and always will be my favorite game. It's so simple to pick up and play, yet there so much depth to it, that you can become pretty much unstoppable if you know what you're doing. Of course, it never lasts long for me, someone always figures a way to completley defend my strategy and use it against me, and I'm forced to find a new strategy (one of my favorite things about the game). I've probably come up with over 13 strats just for ryu and ken.

Two block zones, standing and crouching, this is something that is really simple to implement, but some of the more recent fighting games lost track of it and is usually what breaks it. Anytime I play a game and find out that it doesn't have at least two block zones, I know it's going to suck, and I'm right every single time.

Parry - simple, press forward when your enemy attacks you, you parry the move and have an extra half-second to pull something off. This is a feature that makes the game faster than most, and takes the game to another level. It adds another dimension, you no longer jsut worry about being blocked, you have the chance of your own move being used against you to turn the game around. I've only had one or two parry wars in my life, they're extremely hard to pull off, but if it happens, it's amazing. I mean, cream your pants amazing.

Basic attacks - Each character as a bunch of basic moves, and each has it's own advantage/disadvantage. Speeds, attack zones, delay, amount of hits, damage, stun, knockback, blockable/not blockable, block damage(damage taken if it is blocked, a.k.a cheese damage) knockdown, combo potential... each move pretty much differs in all of these categories, there is almost no game that does this as well as streetfighter. A skilled player can beat his opponent using only basic moves if he knows how to use them. The chain combos you can pull off with basic moves are great, and hard to learn. They aren't listed in the book, you have to figure them out yourself. You can do plain basic combo's, you can incorporate super moves into your basic combos, you can add finish moves to youyr basic/ super combos. Hell, I have a few Ryu and Ken combos that includes a basic move into a super move, then into a finish (meteo) move... and they hurt. however, if I don't pull it off, it's a huge waste of alpha (energy to perform meteo and EX-moves).

Special moves - The special moves are done extremely well in this game. First of all, they're not horribly overpowered, and the ones that are have horrible disadvantages if not pulled off properly. If you use a special move, it could mean a win, or just as easily a loss. Not only that, each special move is different in the categories I mentioned above for the basic moves. Hell, even though Ken and Ryu seem the same, they're completley different.

Ex moves - These moves take a portion of your alpha bar to perform, and is pretty much the middle ground between super, and meteo. Usually are faster, and have a higher damage potential if done properly. Using one of these moves is usually a desperation move for me. I only use it when I want to catch my enemy of guard, do just enough damage to get him to go defensive, or to do jsut enough to kill/cheese him(killing him while he's blocking). I rarely do it though.

Meteo - Way more powerful than super or basic, but everything fro mspecial and basic applies here as well. You also have an alpha bar that you need to fill before you can perform these moves. Some players are good enough to actually block an entire meteo move. I can block a few, but not every time, it's extremely hard to do, but when you see it, you want to scream.

Throwing - quick, painful, but not overpowered. Throws don't slow the game down at all, ok, maybe a little, but only if the players are pro's. They're never longer than a few seconds (if that), but for me that's a good breather if I need one. They do just enough damage to give you an upperhand or to turn the tables on your opponent. They can be parried only if your opponent tries to throw you at the same time. Happens all the time to me and my SF buddies.

Dashing - Great way to speed the game up, you never know when your opponent is going to rush up and hand you an ass whooping. This adds yet another variable into the equation. Two in a sense, you have to worry about your opponent rushing you, and if you attack your opponent can dash backwards to avoid the attack and retaliate.

super jump - a quicker and higher jump, another good way to suprise your opponent. Kind of like an arial dash.

Well, I probably missed some stuff, but this is why I love the game. Everything is easy to do, and hard to master. Ok, it's 5:30am, time to hit the sack before I pass out.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
at the moment im loving mortal combat deception, its so realistic in a way, i like how you can just look for openings in ur opponents stance.

meh... "lui kang wins.... flawless victory" =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom