Surgery in two days...scared like hell...

Whou would win?

• Uncover Bunker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tie

• Star Wars Kid

• Total voters
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have had this appointment scheduled for a month now to have all four of my wisdom teeth extracted and a malformed tooth way up in my gums (above a rotting baby tooth...). I was really just pushed into this, I was told by my regular dentist that this needed done sometime in the near feature...near future isn't 5 weeks to me. I went to a dental surgeon for a consultation and looked at my teeth, looked at the x-ray of my teeth, then started spouting off about something and all I heard was "wisdom teeth extraction"...and my heart started to race...

I ****ing hate surgery, more than anything. It's not really the actual surgery that I'm worried about, it's how I'm going to be sedated during the surgery. I have only been put to sleep a few times in the past, once when I broke my wrist and had to have it snapped back in place a cast put on it, then for my tonsils. I was really young when I was put to sleep for my cast, but I remember not really being scared, and the whole thing was a breeze, even being put to sleep (it was gas). Then I had my tonsils taken out, this time by IV. I thought it was going to be just like the other time, just a simple count back from 10 and you will be out before 8. I was told to count but once I got to 9 I couldn't breathe, my vision got blurry, I yelled that I couldn't breath, but right after that I was out.

So when I was told I would be put in the same way for this wisdom teeth extraction I was scared ****less, I hate not being able to breath (I have asthma), and going through that again is what scares me more than having 5 teeth yanked out of my jaw (none of them have surfaced, it will involve bone cutting).

Just writing this calmed me down a bit... I just hate going through this pre-procedure ****, it's just too depressing, every day up until now has been miserable with the thought of the surgery lingering in my head the whole time.

The main reason I am writing this is because I want to know if anyone else has had his done, and if you were sedated the same way (general anesthetic, aka, knocked-the-****-out). I could really use some words of encouragement, because I have to go in on the 14th and I just don't want to go in expecting the worst. I'm not gonna lie, I'm an emotional guy, so I know as soon as I see the IV needle I'm going to cry like a ***** XD. And needles don't really phase me anymore, it's more about whats gonna go into it and into my body that is going to cause me to loose conscientiousness.

Best answers
Neh i had it done no worries, you just look like a chipmunk for about 2 weeks or so, but hey if your parents are like mine, all the pudding/ice cream and scrambled eggs you can eat!

During my surgery i was dreaming i was on a rollercoaster, everytime the guy cut me a scalpel appeared on the coaster and another track appeared, once i woke up tho i stumbled out towards the car pit stopped at the toilet and coughed up nothing but blood, but im fine today.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well considering what doctors these days are capable of, you really have nothing to worry about. It's only a really minor procedure. Look at it this way.. you're really, seriously not going to feel anything of the surgery itself. You'll get your sedative (I can't really talk you out of fear of needles or what's in them, sorry), you'll pass out and you'll wake up. It'll be like going to sleep. Don't think about it so much and you're gonna be fine.

Best answers
Heh, getting put to sleep is quite possibly the funnest thing ever imo.

I had an IV in my wrist, and the doctor inserted a liquid into the IV and told me to count to 10. Getting to 2 and then waking up randomly is the coolest thing I've ever experienced. I wish I was able to just do that every night. It was like teleporting ><

Heh, don't be scared. If I get the chance to get knocked out again, I'm going to try and see how instantaneous it is, I seem to wake up as if I hadn't slept at all. Like blinking.

If you feel like you can't breathe, just remember it only lasts a second and there is no real panic, you'll be waking up in a moment. Think of something awesome, like that girl you have a crush on <3

YEAH YOU KNOW YOU HAVE ONE ><

EDIT: Or boy you have a crush on :O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o_O It's that fast? You have no sense of the passage of time while you're knocked out?

Often when I go to sleep at night, I do have a vague perception of the passage of time, but not always. But then again, using gas to be made unconscious probably isn't very much like real sleeping, anyway.

Best answers
o_O It's that fast? You have no sense of the passage of time while you're knocked out?

Often when I go to sleep at night, I do have a vague perception of the passage of time, but not always. But then again, using gas to be made unconscious probably isn't very much like real sleeping, anyway.
When I got knocked out, the perception of time got knocked out too.

The doctor said "Count to ten"

And before I could say 'two' my eyes opened and I was in a bed. How quick it was, it was mind boggling. It's quite honestly made the whole thing worth it :p

I'd knock myself out right now just to wake up in this chair in 2 seconds, 6 hours later.

Best answers
I have never been put to sleep with medicine. Never been had any surgery for that matter, so i cant really share my experiences. But best way to break stress is to think something else.
Even when in hospital keep thinking something else than the surgery. Dont care what you think about, but you can think about your dreams, girlfriend(even if you dont got one), imaginary friends or even what you ate for breakfast. Only when you realize that surgery is over, then you can think about it...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When I got knocked out, the perception of time got knocked out too.

The doctor said "Count to ten"

And before I could say 'two' my eyes opened and I was in a bed. How quick it was, it was mind boggling. It's quite honestly made the whole thing worth it :p

I'd knock myself out right now just to wake up in this chair in 2 seconds, 6 hours later.
That's kind of interesting. And cool. I might be getting eye surgery myself, so this sort of thing is interesting for me to hear.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I had some surgeries in my life. My first was the removal of the appendix.
And my last one was with my lung. Like Keiha, I had absolutely no perception of time. They had to make a new IV because the one I had was already too old (I was a week in hospital before) and once the sedative was in I was already awake again (it was like a cut).
Funny thing is I was drugged as hell after that surgery.^^

Best answers
I'm going to have an eye surgery in a year or two. Its not that close, but still scares me ****less. The thought that I shouldnt use a PC for like a month or two or shouldnt read books, watch tv just scares me. Not the surgery itself.

But heck whaddo I know?

But all the best Enix <3

Best answers
Learn to chew and swallow with your mouth open.

Best answers
Doctor told me to count backwards from 10 i got to 7 and my mind was gone, i was still awake according to them, because they said i was babbling on about light bulbs or something, and did motions with my hands.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm just glad that my wisdom teeth are all coming in straight, with lots of room, because I do not want to have to go through the surgery to have them removed. Only for me, it's not the knocking-out that would bother me, it's the pain afterwards. I don't want to spend a week on Tylenol 3's, eating through a straw. It's just not my idea of a good time.

Good luck with your surgery though. I know what it's like not being able to breathe, but try telling yourself that the anesthetic will simply knock you out, rather than do what it did last time. Odds are, it's different each time, so you will no doubt have a completely different experience with it this time.

Just hope that you're nice and doped up when you come to, otherwise you're going to be in a world of hurt.

Best answers
wisdom teeth surgery isn't bad at all, or at least it wasn't for me, th eonly eally bad part was trying to eat after it was done(which was more annoying than painful).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got my wisdom teeth out a few years ago already and it's really no problem...They usually give you gas though I feel like not an IV and all I remember was I could listen to music while being put to sleep and I chose the Down Spiral by Nine Inch Nails. I think I didn't even count to 5 before I fell asleep.

I thought the scariest thing was when I woke up I had NO IDEA where I was, but then my parents showed up and then I kinda blanked again, then I remember getting into the car then blanked, then I remember going into my house and getting into bed, the I slept for a long long time

Goddamn happy gas is awesome.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Enix, the really scary surgeries are the ones that might fail... like double bypass heart surgery. You, on the other hand, are fine dude. The majority of kids that I know have had wisdom teeth operations. It's really no big deal at all, just a consequence of our horrible evolution (if not for the operation, everyone with malformed wisdom teeth would die of infection... which is many, many people.) But yeah it's about as common and basic as it gets. Then afterwards, they give you craploads of vikes and percs, you lucky dog!

Best answers
Think of it this way atleast you are getting the surgery in the summer and not during school, because u will be out of commision for about 2 to 3 weeks, cause your face will hurt lol.

Hope you don't have any siblings cause mine was constantly calling me chipmunk, on the brightside when i was fine they took me to carowinds which is a amusement park.

Best answers
out of commision for 2 or 3 weeks? the only reason i didn't go to karate 2 days after the surgery is because the doctor told me not too. Although its affects some people worse than other i hear.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HAHAHAHAHA dude this just rocks..... im sorry for you hehe, i hate surgeys myself, especially on the head area.

i like them on legs and arm though xD i feel kinda cool walking with bandages hehe.

hehe i may wont even get such a surgey for.... my life? xD i just have to much space between my theeths, i got bricets though.

ah man, asthma sucks i guess. see you then :D

have fun, i bet you will need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom