Suprise! Nvidia to launch 512mb GTX

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27225

No-one is surprised, surely. Will be interesting to see if it levels up the high-resolution & high AA/AF performance between the 7800GTX and the X1800...

According to other sources, the core clock will be at 550 & memory clock will run at 1.7ghz :D. I bet Nvidia were waiting on ati to release the x1800 series so they could nail them with this card.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting.

But what's the point if it's not faster than the 256?
I just don't see the logic in making a card that's not faster.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Interesting.

But what's the point if it's not faster than the 256?
I just don't see the logic in making a card that's not faster.
the default clock speeds of current GTX cards is 430/1200. Most of the big brands have them clocked past the default speeds, and overclockers have achived simlar core clocks on current GTX cards aswell (possibly through volt modding I would take it).

Of course, more ram doesn't always make the difference on gfx cards (pc n00bs are taken in by going "OMG LOOK THIS GFX CARD HAS 256MB OF RAM", when they should be checking the out the intended market segment for that pacific card they buy). With that being said I laugh at people who buy 256mb low end cards since they were taken in by the marketing gimmic. Mid-range cards are another story though.

Hopefully this card can overclock well, the cooler is a bit big and beefy too.

Best answers
Thats kinda stupid, look at ATI when they released their version of the X850 with 512 mb of ram, they were shot down and no one bought it, same goes for nVidia's 6800 Ultra with 512mb of ram. Now there doing it with the 7800 GTX, all its gonna do is have a hair more performance than its 256mb brother, I guess nVidia just doesnt learn, but thats just my opinion, maybe it will benchmark tons better with 512 mb of ram.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A little old news, but good for posting none the less ;). The enhanced clocks will go a long way with performance.

Hopefully this card can overclock well, the cooler is a bit big and beefy too.
Most likely not. As with the GTX, nVidia probably gave it just enough juice to maintain around the stock clock.

EDIT: Also, the memory clock is gonna be 1.8GHz (or 900, depending on how you see it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom