Supreme Commander...........It Lives!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So ya, dunno if any of you have heard of Supreme Commander, I think I might've had a thread on it a while ago. Either way, I advise you to check it out if you even remotely like RTS games.

After a bit of a hiatus media wise, Supcom is back with some new screens, an official site, and a preview at gamespot. (Seen here)

To give a quick rundown for the uninitiated, the game is an RTS game from the creator of arguably the greatest RTS game ever, Total Annihilation. It's a spiritual successor of sorts to Total Annihilation, and is shaping up to be one of the greatest RTS games ever made.

The game looks to actually challenge your tactical skills, not how fast you can micromanage your 10 man force, and how quickly you can harvest some gold. It's also set on the biggest scale for a game i've ever seen. To help give you an idea of how big it is, go to the official site www.supremecommander.com, then go to "Game Info," then "Scope & Scale." Now just watch the picture and make sure something comfy is underneath your jaw.

So ya, the recent updates have just got me drooling all over again (the engine seems to have gone through an update too, it looks a lot better than the old pictures), and I thought I better spread the word so everybody knows how great Supcom is gonna be.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw an update for this on IGN a while ago, it looks as awesome as ever. It's the next game I'm eagerly awaiting.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as the scale of the maps, that's pretty average after playing Rome: Total War (Or any of the Total War games for that matter). I have to admit that this game looks pretty interesting, even if it's another one of those weird sci-fi RTS games, which I hate.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spunky said:
As far as the scale of the maps, that's pretty average after playing Rome: Total War (Or any of the Total War games for that matter). I have to admit that this game looks pretty interesting, even if it's another one of those weird sci-fi RTS games, which I hate.
Now I never played Rome: Total War that much, but I swear the maps were never as big as this:

Keeping in mind that each dot is a unit, and that the picture is only a small portion of the entire map. Or maybe Total War did have maps that big, I can't quite remember it too well to be honest, but I swear they weren't.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Total War has nothing on this game, scale-wise. Go to the site, read their descriptions. If I recall correctly, it's more of a zoomable world map than a region map, like in TW. You tell units to move to a location, even controlling their speed so that seperated forces can converge on the same location simultaneously. This game, if it delivers what it promises, will break the mold of the standard RTS and show us something on a scale we've never seen before.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
;o Joink, that looks quite impressive. Smecksah~

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't wait for this game. it looks awesome

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
O_O Is that explosion, art or is it a real-time render? Looks amazing, I loved Total Annihilation, The game look pretty impressive, I think I'm gonna get it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Real Time. And I'm gonna get it too. All those Total Annihilation memories are coming back.

Best answers
i beleive im the first one to announce it... im pretty sure...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HOLY ****ING ****

i'm hella getting a 2000 dollar computer to play this game

DID YOU SEE THE SUBMARINE COME UP TO THE SURFACE LIKE A SHIP AND SHOOT ROCKETS AT ALL THE AIRPLANES!!!!

DID YOU SEE THE BOATS DEPLOY LEGS AND CRAWL ON TEH LAND!!!

DID YOU SEE THAT WALKING DOOMSDAY MACHINE THING

this game...

hey if anyone wants to play total annihlation, add me to msn or aim, i'll host a room or something

edit

lol if you lose a capitol ship you can say you sunk my battleship, thent hey'll think your clever

ok, that map was huge, and its only 1/16 of the size of the biggest map...

those features sound tight, simple coordinated attacks, all units arrive at about the same time, easy to move navpoints, BASE COMMANDERS, that automaticly repair and REBUID your base and such if your attacked. this gmae looks sick

edit

what the hell i never knew there was an expansion for TA

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I'm going to buy this game, no questions asked. Total Annihilation was my favorite RTS of all time, and I can easily see this becoming my new favorite.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We're still a long way off from knowing target and minimum system specs. I don't anticipate having those numbers for another year.
Jeremy Snook
So, no, nobody knows the system specs, but judging from the pictures. Any pc that can run games such as half life 2, fear and doom3 on medium to high should probably be able to play this game

(Most likely 2ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, 128 or 256 mb graphics card. Almost standard stuff these days.)

Anyway, I wonder if there will be any links to Total Annihaliation. Judging from what we have seen so far, it looks like all your units are mechs/robots like in TA, you have water, air and land battles like in TA and I think I saw a unit that really resembeled one of TA's units. And also, the first mech/robot you see in that trailer, when it just lands down, it really looks alot like the TA Commander (being able to build buildings with it etc.)

**Edit**

By the way, for the real fanboys :p, extremely high definition trailer, 293mb:

http://www.supremecommanderhq.com/i..._Trailer_BigHD_SupremeCommanderHQ.com.torrent

You'll need a bittorrent client to download it.

http://www.fileplanet.com/164078/160000/fileinfo/Supreme-Commander-E3-2006-Trailer-[High-Quality]

That one is a direct link from fileplanet, but I think bittorrent will go faster.
One last thing, you need QuickTime 7 player to play it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey sicron, the specs that u described would probably hold themselves only in the beginning, when all hell brakes loose and there are hundreds of units everywhere and dozens of explosions i think it will chop up :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Total Annihilation was this popular? o_O

I think I still have it lying around somewhere. I never really got into it.. RTS games aren't usually my cup of tea, but I do love Homeworld and the occasional C&C: Red Alert 2 when I get the chance.

Supreme Commander looks very promising so far. Plus it has mechs. Mechs are for the win. o/

If I ever get a decent PC, I might just buy this one. :3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Total Annihilation was this popular? o_O

I think I still have it lying around somewhere. I never really got into it.. RTS games aren't usually my cup of tea, but I do love Homeworld and the occasional C&C: Red Alert 2 when I get the chance.

Supreme Commander looks very promising so far. Plus it has mechs. Mechs are for the win. o/

If I ever get a decent PC, I might just buy this one. :3
appearently; there are 2 official expansions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom