Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Yea im sure most people will turn off that dog that covers up the screen lol?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tonythetiger123 said:
The main thing I hope they improve is a total character balance between everyone. There are characters in SSBM that really suck compared to others. Characters like Pichu, Bowser, mewtwo, Zelda are at the bottom of the list of bads. Samus, mario, doc, ganondorf are around middle tier characters. And shiek, fox, marth, Peach, etc are top tier characters. Theres alot I didn't list but was just giving an example. They should leave the top tier characters alone since they are really good, and just make slight improvements to the worse characters to make them better.
The characters seemed fine to me. i was able to master all of them and never had a disadvantage when using anyone. I practiced with all and got better with all. People hated playing me cause I never had a bad character. You just got to know hwo to use each character cause some excel in other departments then others. They don't need to change a thing.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know Kidboy, Jiggly Puff pissed me off a lot, that's why me and my brother always chose him (her?) to beat up on when we didn't need a challenge.

Oh how I want to see Snake Costumed Kirby. I swear if they give him a 5 o clock shadow...

Force Pit Member
Best answers
It may seem like they are balanced if you play smash as a casual player, but they really are not. Ill grab a list of the tier list that top players made for SSBM.

"The tier list is commonly used to base the usefulness, or playability of characters." It also includes their stats, like weight, etc.

Top:
Sheik
Fox
Marth

Upper:
Peach
Falco
C. Falcon
Samus

High:
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Ice Climbers

Mid:
Luigi
Link
Roy
DK
Pikachu
Zelda

Low:
Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser

Bottom:
Mewtwo
Pichu

If you were to have a shiek vs pichu battle, and both players were at the exact same skill level, the pichu would almost literally have no chance of winning.

I got it from Smashboards.com. If you want to know anything about Smash, then you can go there.
_______
Oh yea, and nintendo is allowing players to connect their game cube controllers to the revolution :).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Games on the "computer," like Warcraft 3, CounterStrike, etc--they don't require the extremely low latency that a fighting game does.

Take ESF for example--lower than 50 ms is usually acceptable, to me. But I prefer under 20ms if possible. 100 or higher and it's pretty shaky.

For a fighting game, where instant response to what your enemy is doing, _extremely_ low latency is required. And in Super Smash Bros., a multiplayer (not just 2-player) game, the connections between three people are very varied.

Let's say one person is in California, one person in Florida, one person in Maine, and one person in Washington (state). Do you think that game is going to be running smoothly, for anyone? No. It'll run like "hot, sick ass."

This isn't just Nintendo's problem, it's the nature of the Internet. Fighting games aren't well suited to being online. But, like I said--if Nintendo finds some magical way to pull it off where Tecmo and Sammy failed, good for them.

Zeonix used to have dial up during 1.1- he would play in my server with 250 or so ping, I had zero. He'd either be on equal terms if not higher when it came to skill. It's only a problem in certain fighting games.

tonythetiger123[/quote said:
It may seem like they are balanced if you play smash as a casual player, but they really are not. Ill grab a list of the tier list that top players made for SSBM.

"The tier list is commonly used to base the usefulness, or playability of characters." It also includes their stats, like weight, etc.

Top:
Sheik
Fox
Marth

Upper:
Peach
Falco
C. Falcon
Samus

High:
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Ice Climbers

Mid:
Luigi
Link
Roy
DK
Pikachu
Zelda

Low:
Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser

Bottom:
Mewtwo
Pichu

If you were to have a shiek vs pichu battle, and both players were at the exact same skill level, the pichu would almost literally have no chance of winning.

I got it from Smashboards.com. If you want to know anything about Smash, then you can go there.
I'm not sure where you got your information. I'm very huge fan of this game. Studied it down to a science. I know exactly how much damage does how much and to whom. I know the timing it takes to do each attack, and at what angle/how far away you need to be to execute it. And I assure you Falco is in no way in the "upper" portion of that. My best character is Falco. Followed by mario and Roy coming at a close second.

Pichu isn't bad if you know what you're doing and can compensate for the added damage. Pickachu is fast and powerful. He's numble and has quite a few speed attacks. Pickachu was my best character is SSB on the 64. Fox is in no way the "best" absolutely not. He doesn't do the damage to be the best. Sure his attacks are fast but they don't have the "power" behind them. With Falco I can knock someone down the map at no more than 15% dmg. With Fox I have to get it up there to over 2 or 3 hundred before they can get knocked off the map, unless of course I use his smash attack. If SSB:B is anything like SSBM in the sense of balancing it will be a great game.

Young link is another great example of how the game is balanced. I could fight my friend Dylan who uses YL- and for falco he's a challange, that is, if you know the attacks and the range and what they can do.

Or maybe I just play too much.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
With the immense fanbase that SSB:M created, I have no doubt that Nintendo will try its best to make Brawl as balanced as it possibly can be.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It'd be interesting if they make Super Smash Brothers (original) available to download and online...

There is also an official poll on the Japanese site to put what character you would like. Obviously I straight-up put Sonic, but I am also interested in any new modes/features/moves the game will bring. A character-building mode would be a nice touch, or a side scrolling co-op mode up to 4 players, online compatible.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
I'm not sure where you got your information...
TonyTheTiger123 said:
The website also has smash videos you can download of pros playing there. Ill find one ina sec.
edit : http://www.ssbm.it/vs/Isai(Fox)vsCaptainJack(Sheik).wmv
http://files.filefront.com/Ken_Doc_vs_ChuDat_Marth/;4954674;;/fileinfo.html

The list is a little outdated, but still pretty correct.

Ill try to explain a little why some are upper and lower tier. Pichu is very light and easily combo'd, is very weak and is hard to KO anyone with, has bad moves, and hurts himself (percentage damage). Fox is one of the fastest in the game, when mastered with L-canceling (tapping the L or R button right when you land on the ground from the air after using an A button move, to reduce any lag or delay). He also had his shine reflector which can be used offensively and gives him great combo ability and finishing moves.

Falco can't be best and is lower on the tier list for 2 main reasons:
1) recovery sucks
2) fast faller who is easily combo-ed

Fire Phoenix said:
Pickachu was my best character is SSB on the 64.
You can't compare the old smash to the new one on the gamecube. They are way to different. Thats like comparing an old esf beta to the current version 1.2 version we have now.
Fire Phoenix said:
With Falco I can knock someone down the map at no more than 15% dmg. With Fox I have to get it up there to over 2 or 3 hundred before they can get knocked off the map
Thats Falco's spike move (down A in the air), which fox does not have. So of course Fox can't spike someone down like Falco can.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its not like your survival depends on exact precision, like ar eal fighting gamer such as street fighter, this is smash for gods sakes, youl probobly find the lag just as entertaining. imagine a link running and doing a special and totally missing because of lag, or some1 that repeatedly just jumps off the map

Gon

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If they put Snake into SSB:B... I wonder if they'll put Goku in there..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No Goku. Please, NO GOKU. No DBZ. That would totally ruin the game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
zero ****ing up link would give me a little more respect for smb, and possibly a little angst to actually play the game

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
zero ****ing up link would give me a little more respect for smb, and possibly a little angst to actually play the game
Zero, like from MMX? o_O SSB:M was declared one of the best fighting games of all time, how can you not respect the series?

I'm suprised no one is concerned on how the controller will work with the game. Each character fights in a different way, excluding the few with swords. So will you just swing the controller around randomly? I miss button-mashing already. I hope this will live up to the last two.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
In any case, we'll see if Nintendo can pull off their first real foray into online gaming.
First? Nintendo Wi-Fi has been going for a while on the DS, now. Metroid Prime Hunters was built for online play (the single player being more for getting used to the controls), and I've taken Mario Kart DS online several times, already.

For a free service, Nintendo Wi-Fi is pretty decent - lag is apparent, but not unbearable (I've been in far worse CS servers in the past). I'm hoping it'll be just as smooth, if not better, than what I've seen on the DS, thus far.

Then again, SSB is more fast-paced than a racing game like Mario Kart, or an FPS like Metroid Prime.

Still, if the DS' service is any indication, I can't imagine that the lag would be unbearable. I'd hope they'd take steps to minimize latency in a game as frantically-paced as SSB.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont really like the gamecube controllers, and i'm into games with a bit more depth, like tekken. and smash melee isnt very balanced, link is pretty much the best character, versus crap characters... like pichu,

now... if they made like... i dont know, block fighter....street melee, or tekken with little "DK Mode" characters similiar to smash brothers i'd buy that

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
i dont really like the gamecube controllers, and i'm into games with a bit more depth, like tekken. and smash melee isnt very balanced, link is pretty much the best character, versus crap characters... like pichu,

now... if they made like... i dont know, block fighter....street melee, or tekken with little "DK Mode" characters similiar to smash brothers i'd buy that
I wouldn't say it's unbalanced. Link, imo, is hardly the best character - I can't do anything spectacular with him. It all depends on what your style is - I used to be amazing with the incredibly sluggish characters (Gannondorf, DK, Bowser). Now, however, I need to play as Marth or Samus to be in my "comfort zone". Likewise, my buddy generally does best when playing as Zelda/Sheik. Granted, there are characters that have abnormal cons (Pichu being the prime example - it's smash attacks do damage to itself), but I've seen people do plenty of damage with those characters.

No, I wouldn't say "unbalanced". There are the occasional cheap techniques that can be exploited, but I don't generally worry about that if I'm playing with a friend, for obvious reasons.

As for depth...well, with the hodge-podge of characters you have in the game, it'd be hard to make a coherent story line. SSB is designed strictly for no-explanations-needed beat-em-up action. If I wanted a story, I'd go back to Bushido Blade, heh.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
i dont mean story depth, i mean combat depth

duh?
Well, if you're going to refer to 'combat depth', I suggest you mention fighting games, not just "games with more depth". 9 out of 10 gaming discussions I read over tend to use depth to describe story and characters.

I'd use "duh" here, but I like to consider myself a respectful person.

Again, my point stands - you don't get into Smash Bros. looking for button-mashing and extreme combos and linked attacks. It's designed to be simple, easy to jump into, but allowing plenty of flexibility for people who really want to get into some long fights.

IMO, it's really singing the same song as other fighting games; that's what I've always liked about it.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
First? Nintendo Wi-Fi has been going for a while on the DS, now. Metroid Prime Hunters was built for online play (the single player being more for getting used to the controls), and I've taken Mario Kart DS online several times, already.

For a free service, Nintendo Wi-Fi is pretty decent - lag is apparent, but not unbearable (I've been in far worse CS servers in the past). I'm hoping it'll be just as smooth, if not better, than what I've seen on the DS, thus far.

Then again, SSB is more fast-paced than a racing game like Mario Kart, or an FPS like Metroid Prime.

Still, if the DS' service is any indication, I can't imagine that the lag would be unbearable. I'd hope they'd take steps to minimize latency in a game as frantically-paced as SSB.
Note that I said "real" first. :p In any case, I'm talking about an online system as expansive as X-Box Live.

As for the game--I'm trying to say that no matter what 'steps' they take--as other companies have tried--the most they'll be able to do is let you play comfortably with people a little farther away than otherwise.

But you're never going to be able to get a good trans-continental game, or even a coast-to-coast game going at an acceptable speed, simply because of the limitations of the Internet.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd be pissed if Super Smash Brothers became like Tekken. In Super Smash Brothers, You make your own combos about 95% of the time and they are just as fast, if not faster, than traditional fighting games.

Fighting style also changes the more damaged the computer gets, like if they are low, you will probably be doing quick, rapid-fire close range attacks to keep them from attacking, while building up damage. As they get higher, you may begin to throw/bounce them off walls, and when high enough, you may be able to knock them across the screen repetitively until they fall off.

And seeing as every character is different (clones are an exception), I say Super Smash Brothers is a pretty in-depth fighting game.

And don't get me started when it comes to double team combos =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom