Suggestions for charged swoop & more!

Best answers
I have basically been thinking/building upon the idea of the charge swoop that is currently in place, and here is a system that I am working on. I will update this thread as and when I get idea or see problems I didnt pick up before. All my ideas for the new charged swoop are based around simple melee (yes I have read the design docs), because until I see and fiddle with what the ESF guys are working on, I dont think I will be able to brainstorm around it. On with the ideas:

Long Distance Swoop

Basically I wanted to give the new charged swoop a bit more offensive use, and make it more than just a way to travel across the map. My suggestion is that it basically works like a charged attack. It's broken up into 3 main phases, basically defined as chargeup, launch, and delivery.

There is also the introduction of a charge bar. This bar is important in giving the player an idea of how much ground they are gonna cover, and at what speed, as well as it playing a role as to who has initiative in head on collisions.

Here is a very basic shop of what I was thinking about :p

Chargeup:
Using the current system, the player begins by pushing and holding turbo and foward. A bar, like the one used in any of the energy attacks, builds up along the bottom. Just for arguments sake (numbers can always be changed later), it has a maximum charge time of 3 seconds. This 3 second chargeup time is broken up into 6 1/2 second blocks. Once the player has decided he is ready to launch/attack, he can release the turbo button, and he launches. The player needs a minimum of 2 blocks charged to successfully launch/start the charged swoop.

If the player decides during the chargeup time he is in danger, he can push block to immediately go into block stance. However, shifting from charge stance to block stance makes the player take 2x stamina loss from any attacks done to him, because the primary use of the charged swoop is as an offensive tool to cover distance. Also, the player can simple choose to cancel the charge foward by pushing back, but this has a set damage to stamina.

Launch:

The launch phase is critical, because its the phase that the player actually gets moving, but is also the phase the player is completely vulnerable for. I realised that when thinking this thing thru, you know, ppl will just charge for as long as possible while someone else charges at them. All the time the enemy will be eating their charge bar, and then the other player will launch at the last possible minute, giving them initiative every time. This would be easily abusable if you have low ping. So basically during one 1/2 second (one block of time) just after releasing turbo, you are completely vulnerable and are what is called the launch phase. The launch phase is considered time charged -1 block.

So for example, the player charges a total of three blocks, and releases. The third block will start draining and be considered the launch phase, during which the player is completely vulnerable. If the player is hit by anything during this phase, the player will be unable to stop it.

Delivery

The final phase is the delivery phase. During this phase the player flies at faster than dash speeds, until their charge bar runs out. If a player succeeds at hitting the enemy with simple melee, the enemy will take extra damage to their both their HP and stamina. If the player decides to stop the charged swoop, the player may do so, but at a knock to their stamina. It's like putting energy into getting a car rolling, and then running along to the front to try and stop it. You put energy into getting it going, and now that its rolling, you gonna have to put some energy into stopping it. The player may also choose to block, which knocks some stamina off, and also means that the player will take extra stamina damage if they are trying to block an attack from enemy.

If two players collide with eachother headon, initiative shall be decided by the amount of bars in the charge bar. If both players are within one 1/2 second bar of eachother, they engage in a melee power struggle. If the colliding players have a difference of greater than one 1/2 second bar, then the player with the most charge left will win the headon. For example:

Player A and Player B collide. Player A has 4 bars charged in his charge meter, and Player B has only 2 bars. Player A scores the hit. Another example:

Player A and Player B collide. Player A has 4 bars charged in his charge meter, and Player B has 3 bars. Since the difference is only one bar, the two players engage in a melee power struggle as described in the design docs.

The player may change shift the direction of the charged swoops but at a large knock to their ki level. Each time you change direction from a charged swoop you lose ki faster and faster. My idea around the charged swoop was as an offensive move to cover ground quickly, not as an evasive tool.

Summary & Additional ideas:

1) Time charged effects: distance travelled
speed that distance is travelled at
damage done by simple melee
damage done to enemies' stamina
player's stamina

2) The charged swoop always has initiative over quick dash after launch phase.

3) If player is hit by ki-blobs during launch/delivery phase and has 3 or more bars of energy charged, player takes reduced/no damage from ki-blobs.

4) If player is hit by ki-blobs/generic beam/generic ball attacks during launch/delivery phase and has 5 or more bars of energy charged, player takes reduced/no damage from ki-blobs. You would have to have charged for a full three seconds to gain this buff.

The idea behind buff three and four is that in DBZ once players reached a certain point of focus in their charge, weaker enemy attacks were completely negated, this happened quite a bit during Goku's first fight with the Ginyu force.

As always this is a WIP idea, any input and constructive criticism is welcome.

Discuss!!

p.s. I hope by my clearly set out, worded, and punctuated post everyone here will realise I'm not just some random noob posting :p

Best answers
I have basically been thinking/building upon the idea of the charge swoop that is currently in place, and here is a system that I am working on. I will update this thread as and when I get idea or see problems I didnt pick up before. All my ideas for the new charged swoop are based around simple melee (yes I have read the design docs), because until I see and fiddle with what the ESF guys are working on, I dont think I will be able to brainstorm around it. On with the ideas:

Long Distance Swoop

Basically I wanted to give the new charged swoop a bit more offensive use, and make it more than just a way to travel across the map. My suggestion is that it basically works like a charged attack. It's broken up into 3 main phases, basically defined as chargeup, launch, and delivery.

There is also the introduction of a charge bar. This bar is important in giving the player an idea of how much ground they are gonna cover, and at what speed, as well as it playing a role as to who has initiative in head on collisions.

Here is a very basic shop of what I was thinking about :p

Chargeup:
Using the current system, the player begins by pushing and holding turbo and foward. A bar, like the one used in any of the energy attacks, builds up along the bottom. Just for arguments sake (numbers can always be changed later), it has a maximum charge time of 3 seconds. This 3 second chargeup time is broken up into 6 1/2 second blocks. Once the player has decided he is ready to launch/attack, he can release the turbo button, and he launches. The player needs a minimum of 2 blocks charged to successfully launch/start the charged swoop.

If the player decides during the chargeup time he is in danger, he can push block to immediately go into block stance. However, shifting from charge stance to block stance makes the player take 2x stamina loss from any attacks done to him, because the primary use of the charged swoop is as an offensive tool to cover distance. Also, the player can simple choose to cancel the charge foward by pushing back, but this has a set damage to stamina.

Launch:

The launch phase is critical, because its the phase that the player actually gets moving, but is also the phase the player is completely vulnerable for. I realised that when thinking this thing thru, you know, ppl will just charge for as long as possible while someone else charges at them. All the time the enemy will be eating their charge bar, and then the other player will launch at the last possible minute, giving them initiative every time. This would be easily abusable if you have low ping. So basically during one 1/2 second (one block of time) just after releasing turbo, you are completely vulnerable and are what is called the launch phase. The launch phase is considered time charged -1 block.

So for example, the player charges a total of three blocks, and releases. The third block will start draining and be considered the launch phase, during which the player is completely vulnerable. If the player is hit by anything during this phase, the player will be unable to stop it.

Delivery

The final phase is the delivery phase. During this phase the player flies at faster than dash speeds, until their charge bar runs out. If a player succeeds at hitting the enemy with simple melee, the enemy will take extra damage to their both their HP and stamina. If the player decides to stop the charged swoop, the player may do so, but at a knock to their stamina. It's like putting energy into getting a car rolling, and then running along to the front to try and stop it. You put energy into getting it going, and now that its rolling, you gonna have to put some energy into stopping it. The player may also choose to block, which knocks some stamina off, and also means that the player will take extra stamina damage if they are trying to block an attack from enemy.

If two players collide with eachother headon, initiative shall be decided by the amount of bars in the charge bar. If both players are within one 1/2 second bar of eachother, they engage in a melee power struggle. If the colliding players have a difference of greater than one 1/2 second bar, then the player with the most charge left will win the headon. For example:

Player A and Player B collide. Player A has 4 bars charged in his charge meter, and Player B has only 2 bars. Player A scores the hit. Another example:

Player A and Player B collide. Player A has 4 bars charged in his charge meter, and Player B has 3 bars. Since the difference is only one bar, the two players engage in a melee power struggle as described in the design docs.

The player may change shift the direction of the charged swoops but at a large knock to their ki level. Each time you change direction from a charged swoop you lose ki faster and faster. My idea around the charged swoop was as an offensive move to cover ground quickly, not as an evasive tool.

Summary & Additional ideas:

1) Time charged effects: distance travelled
speed that distance is travelled at
damage done by simple melee
damage done to enemies' stamina
player's stamina

2) The charged swoop always has initiative over quick dash after launch phase.

3) If player is hit by ki-blobs during launch/delivery phase and has 3 or more bars of energy charged, player takes reduced/no damage from ki-blobs.

4) If player is hit by ki-blobs/generic beam/generic ball attacks during launch/delivery phase and has 5 or more bars of energy charged, player takes reduced/no damage from ki-blobs. You would have to have charged for a full three seconds to gain this buff.

The idea behind buff three and four is that in DBZ once players reached a certain point of focus in their charge, weaker enemy attacks were completely negated, this happened quite a bit during Goku's first fight with the Ginyu force.

As always this is a WIP idea, any input and constructive criticism is welcome.

Discuss!!

p.s. I hope by my clearly set out, worded, and punctuated post everyone here will realise I'm not just some random noob posting :p
im so agree with you that esf need a (way) long distance swoop until you are out of ki (in one direction)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be honest i realy dislike the whole charge to be able to use it idea.

Right now you can swoop instantly. Why would you have to be stuck in place in the middle of a fight just so you can use swoop instead of dash. It would make it useless unless you are traveling from one side to the other.

Best answers
To be honest i realy dislike the whole charge to be able to use it idea.

Right now you can swoop instantly. Why would you have to be stuck in place in the middle of a fight just so you can use swoop instead of dash. It would make it useless unless you are traveling from one side to the other.
i don't get you, and all i want is a long distance swoop not charge boosting

Best answers
This isnt to replace dash, dash is dash, charged swoop is charged swoop. I may have made it a bit more complicated, but I think atm its too simple. I know there are CVARS to change the distance and speed and all that, but I feel this would make the possible headons during a charged swoop a little bit more interesting

But hell, I don't expect anything I suggest to actually make it into the mod, but maybe someone will go "Hey, a charge bar for the charged swoop isn't actually a bad idea." or something like that, and in that little way I would have added something to ESF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom