• Good idea.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Bad idea.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
What I'm suggesting is a mode where players only have one life per round, like C.S. and the winner of that round could receive something like a bonus of 5% or 10% of the average server's power level. It would also just be a fun mode to see who survives the longest. And if this mode could also be played with teams, that too would be fun!

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
And with fights lasting 10 minutes people get bored of watching and just leave for a server with FFA or TDM ^^

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Last Man Standing modes have been around in FPS gaming for ages, Grega. The waiting never stopped people from playing it. And if you think 10 minutes takes too long. Add a timelimit, problem solved.

Rules:

• Free For All type gameplay, except dying means waiting 'till next round
  • Last Man Standing wins
  • Time limit: 6-ish minutes.
  • If there are 2 players left after the time limit, person with highest health wins.
  • After round, game resets, winning player gets +10 to game score. Second to Last Man Standing gets +5 to game score.
  • Possible variation: Last Team Standing, teams of 2 players will cooperate to win. Same rules as above. Will speed up gameplay by alot = less waiting. Teams cannot be joined manually, teams will be created randomly to prevent 2 good people joining up to kill newer people, making it a more balanced game mod.
It never hurts to have an extra gaming mode, even if only few people will play it. It's hardly like adding this will add a years worth of extra developing time, but it does add some extra diversity.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well you do need to remember ESF is not really a FPS. Do you really think people who die the first will stand a better chance in round 2 when the winners PL is even bigger.

I preffer hlevs "Team mode" ieda.

When you join the server you are automatically put in one of the teams.

If you are killed by the oposing team you switch sides. The team that looses all its members looses. Then teams are randomly remade for the new round.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That's why I never said the PL's should be upped when you win, just a simple +10 to the game score will suffice (Just like in CS). And no, ESF may not be a first person shooter, it's a third person shooter/action game. The only difference is the viewpoint, gameplay wise they are very similar: You kill the other person. So the gameplay modes can easily apply both to FPS games and ESF. Saying that ESF isn't an FPS doesn't change the fact that a LMS mode could work really nicely.

This suggestion also has nothing to do with hlev's suggestion, they are both seperate ideas. And again, both ideas(hlev's and BlueSaiyan's) aren't terribly hard to implement I suppose(Do correct me if I am wrong though), so why not have both? As long as they are balanced, there is nothing wrong with a couple of extra game modes.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron has the right idea

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
While I don't disagree with the gamemode in principle, there are other gamemodes that I'd much rather we put the time in effort into, for example a good broly gamemode. The thing is with gamemodes, is that quite a bit of work goes into making a balanced and well designed gamemode, from specific maps to character balance, a lot needs to be considered. I don't find last man standing as original as other suggestions I've happened upon, and therefore I don't believe its work the time and effort myself, though I'm sure others would disagree.

Plus with esf and the huge maps at the moment, there's nothing stopping one guy from consistently running away from combat avoiding any conflict until the last person has finished fighting, which I do not see any real way of solving. Gamemodes in esf that encourage pure survivability encourages running, if you want a proper gamemode for esf, it needs to encourage combat.

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
Yeah there's really nothing to stop a dedicated server from changing game types depending on the map chosen, or if there's an admin hosting locally he could simply change it upon request. ^_^ the PL boost was simply extra incentive to play the game mode as opposed to TDM. In my experiences playing ESF, powerlevel isn't everything... at all, lol. I've gotten my ass handed to me with a power level in the millions with SSJ by a guy who hadn't even transformed yet. Thanks for chiming in folks ^_^

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well in 1.3 PL will determine your ranking in the server. Basically you will be ranked by how much PL you recive since you join.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
While I don't disagree with the gamemode in principle, there are other gamemodes that I'd much rather we put the time in effort into, for example a good broly gamemode. The thing is with gamemodes, is that quite a bit of work goes into making a balanced and well designed gamemode, from specific maps to character balance, a lot needs to be considered. I don't find last man standing as original as other suggestions I've happened upon, and therefore I don't believe its work the time and effort myself, though I'm sure others would disagree.

Plus with esf and the huge maps at the moment, there's nothing stopping one guy from consistently running away from combat avoiding any conflict until the last person has finished fighting, which I do not see any real way of solving. Gamemodes in esf that encourage pure survivability encourages running, if you want a proper gamemode for esf, it needs to encourage combat.
True, true, balancing costs a lot of time. But thinking of how to balance is shouldn't be too hard. We've got an entire community of people here, involve them into thinking (and balancing of course) about new game modes. Make it a Forum Competition, or what-have-you. Best 2 get chosen. Livens up the forums a bit while your at it.

At the mapping problem. Well, if I remember correctly Natural Selection had a neat system for this. Either you had NS maps (ns_blabla) which started the NS game mode, or you had a ...combat map I think it was (co_blabla) which started a different game mode. Basically, if you want to create a LMS server you choose an esf_lms map. These maps could be created by the community (along with a couple of modified versions made by the team) which are either unique LMS maps, or resized original maps. For example, if Layne creates his Namek map, he cuts out a part that he sees is large enough for the LMS mode, cuts away the rest so he'll be left with a relativly small map and calls that esf_lms_namek.

Of course, the risk of someone in the community making a map that is too big for this game mode will always persist. But it is the server-starters own choice if he wants to use that map. Besides, that risk is already there with even the normal deathmatch modes. Someone might make a map that is too big for normal play as well.

Now the question is, is there enough demand for a LMS game mode. Or would the community rather have a Broly mode (a very nice mode as well). That, and how many extra modes are the team willing the add into the game.

I say, make a new Forum Competition, let's all think of well balanced and good new game modes. And let the team decide which ones are good, and which ones may be added.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
Resizing the maps wouldn't be good because it's a strong point in ESF:F. And honestly with what Grega is saying, if someone were to run away until the last moments then they'd miss out on rank AND power level.. sure they might win a couple rounds, but when the guy fighting more often goes SSJ then it's over for the runner. Also if someone's being very annoying, there's always the vote-kick command.

Beta Tester Squad
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
it will be a beter point a captuer the control point mode , team based , 2 team's , the goal is to caputre the control poin before the other team dose ,if you run you lose you have to capture the point, if your team win's all team get a bonus hp ,it will be based on 1 life per round

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
John ESF is to fast for that gamemode.

Especially with the freedom of flight >.<

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Resizing the maps wouldn't be good because it's a strong point in ESF:F. And honestly with what Grega is saying, if someone were to run away until the last moments then they'd miss out on rank AND power level.. sure they might win a couple rounds, but when the guy fighting more often goes SSJ then it's over for the runner. Also if someone's being very annoying, there's always the vote-kick command.
That would make it a bit harder too balance properly. That and the resized maps would only be for this game mode. It wouldn't mean the resized maps would be really small, but more like...current 1.2.3 sized maps. Ish.

it will be a beter point a captuer the control point mode , team based , 2 team's , the goal is to caputre the control poin before the other team dose ,if you run you lose you have to capture the point, if your team win's all team get a bonus hp ,it will be based on 1 life per round
Again, your suggestion has nothing to do with this suggestion. Don't go "Oh, your suggestion is bad, because I have a better one! Albeit completely different than yours, so it would be like comparing apples and oranges." Your suggested game mode isn't 'better' than this one, it is just completely different.

Like I said, there is no reason not to have both (or more) game modes, if the team can be bothered to put in extra effort to code it in. (And balance it, unless the community can help a hand with that.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom