Sudoku

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
About a month or so ago, one of my lab instructors made a post on our WebCT boards about a puzzle she had gotten addicted to called "Sudoku". I tried it out very shortly after I read the post and originally found it to be a tedious thing, so I didn't really bother trying it out.

Now, however, I have sat down to do one...well, two...then three...several Sudoku puzzles, and they have yet to lose their addictiveness.

http://www.websudoku.com

It's quite a simple puzzle, which is why it gets addictive so rapidly. I invite you all to try your hand at this - it's a good activity to attend to while do some general chatting or forum browsing (it's a very good way to practice your logic, I suppose, since no guess-work is involved in finishing the puzzle).

I also invite you to post links to any addictive puzzles/time-wasters you know of (both because I'm big into puzzles this month, and I don't want this thread to be entirely useless).

At any rate, have at those Sudoku - let's see who the puzzlers in this crowd are ;)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They have Sudoku puzzles in our daily school newspaper at GMU, but I've never bothered with them. I should.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hehe, i enjoy doing these with my younger sister, its fun to encourage her with her academic studies.

i play the more with the hard ones when im doing them alone, but im gonna give the evil one a go =]

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Omg. that's creepy!

My dad recently started doing sudoku in the newspaper, so now he went out and bought a book full of sudoku puzzles.

It's creepy that you mention it o.0

I've done a few in my time. my time being a few days ago. I finished it in about an hour and got bored. For some reason, no matter how hard or easy it is, they all take roughly an hour for me to complete.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's picked up in the UK more than hygiene. Newspapers, books and magazines galore.

Best answers
i found out about sudoku quite recently and i must say i am addicted to it.......
i even downloaded a java version for my mobile :O

Best answers
I lerv it! :3

I had heard of it on Megatokyo awhile back. Then I was given the tasking of playing it online with AOL... Addicted, rather quickly.

I'm now doing the sudoku puzzles in the newspapers that my friends find and they complain that they can't do it, and say "You'll never finish that! It's impossible"

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
It's picked up in the UK more than hygiene. Newspapers, books and magazines galore.
Indeed. It was fairly popular in Japan (the name is probably a dead give-away) for some time (started somewhere in the mid to late 70's, I think), so it took a while to make its way here. It was only recently included in the local newspaper here, as far as I know. It's good to have an alternative to the daily crossword, though, plus, the website I posted above has, literally, billions of Sudoku.

It's good to see that there are other Sudoku addicts on the boards. I think I already got Pain hooked, and I may have opened the doorway for Cucumba...so it is, indeed, spreading :devgrin:

Best answers
Yeah, that website's good... But for me, easy is too easy, and medium too hard D:

As far as crossword vs sudoku, that's it! Some of the seniors and returns have choice between crossword or sudoku, and they always get stuck on both, attempting to split the difference... then I Come along and pwn the sudoku :p

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After I re-read how to play. And Figured out that not only did each 3x3 grid need one of each number, so did each row and column. I'm finding this very addicting.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
Indeed. It was fairly popular in Japan (the name is probably a dead give-away) for some time (started somewhere in the mid to late 70's, I think), so it took a while to make its way here. It was only recently included in the local newspaper here, as far as I know. It's good to have an alternative to the daily crossword, though, plus, the website I posted above has, literally, billions of Sudoku.

It's good to see that there are other Sudoku addicts on the boards. I think I already got Pain hooked, and I may have opened the doorway for Cucumba...so it is, indeed, spreading :devgrin:
You lack the proper resolve to enslave me. I remain unhooked due to my fantastic willpower.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea Maj introduced me to it. I beat my first one in about 10 minutes. Second one in about 8 minutes. I guess I'm just a logical kinda guy.

To be honest though... I've been more hooked on Minesweeper, and that overrides this. >_>

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
To be honest though... I've been more hooked on Minesweeper, and that overrides this. >_>
I, too, would be hooked on Minesweeper, but one of my bro's buddies (who is on my MSN contact list) spoiled it for me when he had me play round after round after round (after round) of MSN's competitive version of the game (I think it's called "Minesweeper Flags"). After that, I can't really get myself to play Minesweeper, not if I can help it :p

Cucumba said:
You lack the proper resolve to enslave me. I remain unhooked due to my fantastic willpower.
Oh, I never claimed that I did. My role was to link you to the site. Whatever happens between you and the Sudoku is out of my hands :p

Harkening back to my original post: I don't suppose anyone knows of any other, similarly intriguing puzzles out there...I find stuff like this to be a good thing to do when I take a 15-minute (or so) break from studying.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Congratulations! You solved the Sudoku in 12 minutes, 40 seconds!

Easy Puzzle 9,914,246,677
It's a lot easier than the real thing thanks to the 'How am I doing?' button. I've made mistakes in the newspaper sudoku that can lead you on to fill in the rest of the grid, only to find out that one fatal mistake you made at the start comes back to haunt you o_o

Congratulations! You solved the Sudoku in 8 minutes, 28 seconds!
Not...fast...enough!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
It's a lot easier than the real thing thanks to the 'How am I doing?' button. I've made mistakes in the newspaper sudoku that can lead you on to fill in the rest of the grid, only to find out that one fatal mistake you made at the start comes back to haunt you o_o

Not...fast...enough!
How do you mess up? It's literally impossible to mess up. One of each number (depending on how big the grid is) goes in each of the boxes, and colums. So in essance you can't mess up. Although if you don't see something, I guess maybe then...

But I'll agree it is a fun game. Because you don't need knowledge to complete it. Just need to know the rules. It's a good time waster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom