Street Legal dirtbikes??

Best answers
hey guys.. I'm intrested In buying a dirt bike, however i want to be able to ride it on the street. Ebay isnt helpn too much.. and i am new at this dirt bike thing. So if any of you got any suggestions to give me on how to get an on/off road dirt bike for at most 1500 $

And how old do you have to be to be able to legal drive one of those things on the streets?

Best answers
Probably 16 years old or have a drivers liscense. and im pretty sure you wont find a dirtbike for less than $1500, probably atleast $1900 or so just for a decent one, but if you get one, get a honda or a yamaha, because they are built well and a yamaha is better for beginners, also if you absolutely dont like clutch or you can never learn how then get an automatic, they are easier to work with and everything, i have a 1988 yamaha blaster 200 4-wheeler, which is great for beginners but im over the thing, i maxed it out already but thats just a 4-wheeler, dirtbikes differ greatly from them. and im not sure that you can get a street legal dirtbike unless you do some heavy modifications to it to make it legal according to your state, i think for michigan you need turning signals, a max speed of atleast 45mph, side view mirrors, a breaking distance of at the most 55 feet or so going at 30 mph, head lights/tail lights and that other stuff. so you could just get a normal dirtbike and look on the net for what you need to do to make it legal.

Best answers
where can i get those laws and the info on wat makes a bike legal i checked on google yet all it said was advertisements for yamahas and harleys as well as a few forums that didnt qite help

Best answers
well, you could go to the department of transportation website for your state, for michigan its called M-DOT (Michigan Dept. of Transportation) but thats just Michigan, for your state it will probably differ but non the less google The Dept. of Transportation. Then try e-mailing them, or maybe u will get lucky and they will have the answer on the site.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
just get a cheap honda XR (either that or XL..I forget) they have good wheels and mechanics for dirt riding, and they are street legal.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got a street legal 91 suzuki 4 stroke for $1100. Just go to your nearest atv/dirtbike/motorcycle dealership, and ask about used ones.

what makes a bike legal for 1 person:
Turn signals (not a must)
Head light
Tail light
Speedometer
Suggestion: Get a key start. If it doesn't have one. Install one. If you use a regular kick start dirt bike then anyone would be able to steal it :X

For 2 people:
Back pegs for their feet to rest on

I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of it right now.

Best answers
Yeah, see, the rules are different in mid-Michigan, where i live. And all of the dirtbikes that i see are pretty expensive ( <$1800)

Best answers
I live by a jetsport is uppose i'll go there and ask some questions, however do any of you know any other good sites to get bikes other then ebay

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RavenTrunks said:
Seatbelts... :x
lmao! You don't need a seat belt. I'd rather fly off the bike than have a seat belt on I don't need a 200 lb bike crushing my leg thanks.

Yeah the thing with the Honda's though. Is they have too much stuff on them. There are things on them you don't need. Unless it's all removable. In that case disregard what I said.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my dad just bought me a motorcycle he bummed for like 400 i think. hes fixing it up.

its odd because i dont even have a permit, or have i ever ridden a motorcycle

suzuki's are good for beginners i guess. i'd go with an automatic because manual's can just get... agrrivating, and you dont want to be seen trying to get your bike in gear, strugging, as abunch of chickitas drive by :_

edit.

and you need a special motorcycle liscense, just incase you didnt know

Best answers
Yah, for beginners go with automatic, i let my friend josh ride my blaster, which is a manual and he almost blew the engine, he is stupid enough to not shift up when the engine is over-revving way too high. He needs to learn how to work a clutch.

Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
my dad just bought me a motorcycle he bummed for like 400 i think. hes fixing it up.

its odd because i dont even have a permit, or have i ever ridden a motorcycle

suzuki's are good for beginners i guess. i'd go with an automatic because manual's can just get... agrrivating, and you dont want to be seen trying to get your bike in gear, strugging, as abunch of chickitas drive by :_

edit.

and you need a special motorcycle liscense, just incase you didnt know

where can i gt this liscense

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You go to a motor cycle school. Usually it's three days. First day you'll just do book work, take tests. ETC. in fact you'll take tests the day you learn the material. Then the next 2 days you learn how to do things, and then you test. If you get less than a 20 you pass and get a permit, or license if your old enough. I got a 5 :( My dad got a 0 which is the best you could get, he said if I beat him he'd give me a brand new motorcycle I got pissed.

Okay,
1. Why in god's name would you want an automatic
2. What makes yout think it's hard to shift, It's a 3 step process. a. let off of the gas b. pull clutch c. shift up or down and your done, then just apply gas if you are speeding up, or engine brake/break if you are slowing down.
3. Do they even MAKE automatic bikes? If they do that's just dumb.
If you stall the bike, big deal, most new bikes are button started now a days anyway. For kick starts, if your bike is warmed up, then you just have to kick it once to get it started.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
bobmundo123 said:
where can i gt this liscense
DMV or DPS. They have schools in any place they would normally have a driver's course.

And yes, I doubt there is an automatic motorcycle, that is just...stupid.

Down 1 up 3

Throttle off, clutch in, switch gears.

It becomes second nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom