• Steam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WON

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I bet that a lot of you are very confused by this, so I will explain. Which do you think is simpler? Steam or WON? I choose WON, since it's much easier to install esf with it, all you do is install Half-Life, install esf into it, and enter the cd key. But Steam on the other hand, you download, you make account, you activate hl with cd key, you download hl, you run hl, you install esf. Still I'm not complaining. Steam is great for everything else, but I just think that WON is simpler. So what do you think?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam. Why? Mainly due to the fact that Steam is more recent than WON, and has an advantage over it. Not to mention Steam is simple, just that there's extra things you have to do as opposed to what you had to do before Steam was released.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont see whats so much more complicated about making an account which gives you steam and all products you own from steam on any computer anywhere around the world, without the use of CD and just using an internet connection, not to mention esf is designed to work with steam, thus less buggy, steam has a simplier interface, you can add friends, keep track of server history, its VAC secure etc. Steam has so many pro's, the only "downside" to it, is your not able to illegaly obtain it, if u can call that a downside that is.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, yeah, Steam is much simpler ONCE YOU RUN IT, but to get it running is another story. There's just so many things you have to do. And the thing that bugs me the most is the updating. Why is it even there? Wouldn't it be easier to make one version of Steam and Half-Life and any other game, and then just release a manual update. I mean, esf worked with even the first version of Steam. If people want to play esf with that version, let them. They should've just released a manual update, and notified everyone a week before the release instead of advertising with Half-Life 2. Like: Hey people, we're gonna release an update in a week! If you want to you can download it from this link etc.

That would make the whole thing easier. Come to think of it, WON had a manual updater, it was a nifty little .exe file that you could run whenever you wanted. And another thing: You didn't have to download WON like Steam. It just came with whatever game you bought. And it's run when you run the game, and it's run much faster without any updating. That's why I still use it for offline play. It's rather annoying having to wait for Steam to update just so you can play with the bots. Ah, how I wish WON was still alive.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:
Well, yeah, Steam is much simpler ONCE YOU RUN IT, but to get it running is another story. There's just so many things you have to do. And the thing that bugs me the most is the updating. Why is it even there? Wouldn't it be easier to make one version of Steam and Half-Life and any other game, and then just release a manual update. I mean, esf worked with even the first version of Steam. If people want to play esf with that version, let them. They should've just released a manual update, and notified everyone a week before the release instead of advertising with Half-Life 2. Like: Hey people, we're gonna release an update in a week! If you want to you can download it from this link etc.

That would make the whole thing easier. Come to think of it, WON had a manual updater, it was a nifty little .exe file that you could run whenever you wanted. And another thing: You didn't have to download WON like Steam. It just came with whatever game you bought. And it's run when you run the game, and it's run much faster without any updating. That's why I still use it for offline play. It's rather annoying having to wait for Steam to update just so you can play with the bots. Ah, how I wish WON was still alive.
Well there are a minority of people who play games online and to do that, you need the most recent version.
I would have been pretty annoyed if I had to manually update cs:source everytime I wanted to play it in the first week it was released (just an example)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:

Steam eliminates having to wait in line to download a patch (FilePlanet just to name one) plus it's not really that much different, just that you are basically forced to update. At least you are getting constant updates instead of having to wait for one big patch to be released.

The next thing to WON is WON2, but it's extremely unstable (it replaced WON after it was shut down).

The gaming world is beginning to notice the online delivery system and the benefits, and I have no doubt in my mind that one day, every game will run on some online delivery system.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, updates don't come that frequently, do they? I mean, ESF 1.2 has been released for a while now and there have been 7 updates of Half-Life. From 1.1.1.1 to 1.1.1.7. What's the big deal? And btw you don't have to update every time you play since the game works with the previous version, it will work when you want to play. The requirements don't just change overnight, only if a new version of cs is released.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just becasue ESF is only playable with steam, I voted for steam.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
kam! said:
Well there are a minority of people who play games online and to do that, you need the most recent version.
I would have been pretty annoyed if I had to manually update cs:source everytime I wanted to play it in the first week it was released (just an example)
Well, updates don't come that frequently, do they? I mean, ESF 1.2 has been released for a while now and there have been 7 updates of Half-Life. From 1.1.1.1 to 1.1.1.7. What's the big deal? And btw you don't have to update every time you play since the game works with the previous version, it will work when you want to play. The requirements don't just change overnight, only if a new version of cs is released.

MC said:
Steam eliminates having to wait in line to download a patch (FilePlanet just to name one) plus it's not really that much different, just that you are basically forced to update. At least you are getting constant updates instead of having to wait for one big patch to be released.

The next thing to WON is WON2, but it's extremely unstable (it replaced WON after it was shut down).

The gaming world is beginning to notice the online delivery system and the benefits, and I have no doubt in my mind that one day, every game will run on some online delivery system.
If I think I know what you meant by online delivery, then it is crap. Not everyone can download a 4.5 GB game off the internet. And I hate that we are being forced to update. If the game works with a previous version just fine, why do we have to update? Tell me that.

P.S. This WON2, does it work for online play?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:

If I think I know what you meant by online delivery, then it is crap. Not everyone can download a 4.5 GB game off the internet. And I hate that we are being forced to update. If the game works with a previous version just fine, why do we have to update? Tell me that.

You don't have to download a 4.5 GB game off the internet, you can just pass on it and find another game.

WON2 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WON2

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:

Updates come all the time with steam, from fixing minor crash bugs to security updates, the point is, steam is a wip, its not a final thing, you can bet that it'll keep improving too, and the games and performance will improve too.

I agree not everyone can download a 4.5 GB game, but im pretty sure there are alternatives, no company would be that stupid. Internet connections are getting faster and faster these days, when 95% of the market would benefit from a feature like that companies dont think that they should stop their plans for the other 5%, instead they offer alternatives.

I'd rather have a product that fixes itself, improves itself over time than an 8 year old copy of the product which is outdated with less features, not to mention the way mods are made with steam is quite different to the original half life, scince there are no longer such outdated methods for doing certain things, this makes 3rd party development more efficient and enables more options.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Having steam update automatically ensures everyone has the same version of the game and there is no confusion. If there is any type of problem, an automatic update will fix the problem for everyone. The updates are always miniscule, deal with the 5 seconds it takes to update.

Most of the hate for Steam stems from when it was first released. I'll even admit I hated the service at first too. But since then, it's become much more stable and bug-less, I personally now love it.

If your argument is that not everyone has a good enough internet connection to download a 4.5 gig game, then those people should go out and buy the boxed copy of the game....

edit: If you run Steam in offline mode, does it still atempt to download updates?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam was horrible when it was brand new. Most things are, like every single version of Windows ever made.

Now it's stable, and the people that complained about it being too resource-intensive forked over $20 to double their memory.

I don't know about you guys, but I didn't think it was fun having to hunt down a 100MB+ installer every few months and download it from some gaming website that caps your download rate at 100k/s or lower. Steam has made HL much more friendly and easy to use. The only people I've seen defend WON over it are people with pirated CD keys. <_<

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
Updates come all the time with steam, from fixing minor crash bugs to security updates, the point is, steam is a wip, its not a final thing, you can bet that it'll keep improving too, and the games and performance will improve too.

I agree not everyone can download a 4.5 GB game, but im pretty sure there are alternatives, no company would be that stupid. Internet connections are getting faster and faster these days, when 95% of the market would benefit from a feature like that companies dont think that they should stop their plans for the other 5%, instead they offer alternatives.

I'd rather have a product that fixes itself, improves itself over time than an 8 year old copy of the product which is outdated with less features, not to mention the way mods are made with steam is quite different to the original half life, scince there are no longer such outdated methods for doing certain things, this makes 3rd party development more efficient and enables more options.
My thoughts exactly.

I myself personally never have an issue with steam, and prefer it over WON anyday. WON2 is a joke Imo, the bigger player base is on steam. Steam has really come a long way since it was first released.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i still miss WON but that has a more memorical value now ^^

On WON my ESF ran smother on my old PC due to its sucky capabilities and small amounts of RAM. Having to run STEAM took even more memory from the 256Mb i had.

But since you are going for simplicity ima vote for STEAM. Heck even the server search function is easier to use than WON. With won you had to go to a difrent part of the menu that covered up the whole screen to set the filters.

With STEAM you simply click a button and a small menu apears. Besides it was kinda anoying to open HL enable ESF go to servers and see noone is playing. than closing it again. With STEAM you just rightclick, select servers, set filters to ESF and you get a list. No game running needed.

Oh and i was a 56k user to. And i downloaded HL off STEAM mostly every 3 months for a year befor i got a faster connection.

So what. It took a while but it was worth it.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i like steam but i luse won to do experimetns on the hl Muhahah

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
"People within the WON2 project believe Valve can do very little to shut them down, due to its decentralized nature and that it is run primarily from outside of the United States."

Oh host any Source game on there and see if VALVe can do "very little," ha WON2 sounds horrible.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WON is easier to get set-up, but Steam is more user-friendly after you've got it set-up, because it automatically updates itself, and also gets patches for your games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom