Steam is coming to Macs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm this'll just give the mac crowd more of a reason to think their machines are equal with PC's... I can't be bothered with that arguement.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GTFO of my thread please.

Jizzes again. GWEE!!!!

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Well, at least I'm glad that TF2 is not an emulated version of windows on the MAC. Though I don't see a reason why the mac is so good, I'm just saying.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is like making a retarded kid slightly smarter. Woo!

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
having a mac is like having a hemroid its a pain in the aSS

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, at least I'm glad that TF2 is not an emulated version of windows on the MAC. Though I don't see a reason why the mac is so good, I'm just saying.
That's like a Mac user asking why Windows is so good, or a Linux user asking why Windows or a Mac is so good. I don't think there's a real reason, it's just personal preference or whatever you can use at the moment.

Anyways, this is great news for Mac users who don't have access to a machine with Windows. Valve has really been doing good lately!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Very nice news indeed! I do not game often, but the OSX really was lacking the game support the more popular Windows users have.

And would you PC kids kindly quit the baseless Mac bashing? The commercials are very smug but that's how you fight when your competitor has a significant majority of computer users. Back in 2005 I disliked Macs because I found them cumbersome and limited in terms of what I would have access to. That has changed now. I don't have a beef with Windows, but ever since I had to get a Macbook Pro for my college, I've never looked back.

I can now play ESF without having to use BootCamp :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Very nice news indeed! I do not game often, but the OSX really was lacking the game support the more popular Windows users have.

And would you PC kids kindly quit the baseless Mac bashing? The commercials are very smug but that's how you fight when your competitor has a significant majority of computer users.

I can now play ESF without having to use BootCamp :D
What he said. Once this comes out I really won't have much of a need for Windows anymore, although I'll probably keep it just for old time's sake.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sager NP8690

- Display: 15.6" Full HD LED Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)[+$60.00]
- Video & Graphics Card: ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 5870 Graphics with 1GB GDDR5 Memory
- CPU Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Processor ( 45nm, 8MB L3 Cache, 1.73GHz )[+$190.00]
- Thermal Compound: Stock Standard Thermal Compound
- Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition
- Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2 X 4GB[+$290.00]
- Primary Hard Disk Drive: 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive[+$35.00]
- Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
- Wireless Network Card: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth V2.1 Module
- Primary Battery: Smart Li-Polymer Battery Pack
- Integrated Security Device: Fingerprint Reader
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Ready with Free 60-Day Trial
- Warranty: Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
- Carrying Bag: Standard Carrying Bag

Price: 2,160 dollars

MacbookPro

• 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
  • 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
  • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

• MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
  • Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
  • Accessory kit
Price: 2,350 dollars

Difference:
- i7 820M vs I *think* a t9600. Mac's CPU is outdated by 1 generation + quad vs dual .
- ATI 5870 (or GTX 285M) vs 9600 Hybrid. Mac's GPU is outdated by 3 generations.
- 8GB RAM @ 1333Mhz vs 4GB RAM @ 1066Mhz. Mac's have 4 GB less, and running at slower speed (platform outdated by 1 generation).
- 1080p LED screen vs 1440x900p non-LED screen. Mac has outdated, small screen resolution (screen outdated by 1-2 generation(s)).
- 2,160 dollars vs 2,350 dollars. Mac is 200 dollars more expensive, but in terms of raw power...it's missing a lot?!

I mean seriously, if you're talking about 3dMark 06 here, you will be talking about 6-7000 points for the Mac against 16,000 points for the Sager. And that all because OSX is supposedly more user-friendly? Yeah... I'll save those 200 dollars, AND at the same time get a machine that is roughly 2,5 times more powerful. And I'll put Windows 7 on it, because it works beautifully, fast, and actually manages to use pretty much every program...out of the box, without having to wait for companies to update their programs to be able to use them with OSX.

I'm just sayin'. Don't do drugs, don't do Mac's.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But the Mac is so shiny and pretty! It's like one of those beads the American colonists bought the natives' land for.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's the "industry standard" for design, animation, etc, so that's why I have one. That's all I got.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's the "industry standard" for design, animation, etc, so that's why I have one. That's all I got.
I know, 80% of my teachers swear by the damn things. But you know why Mac's are the 'standard' for design? Because in the olden days, Photoshop was only available on Mac. Adobe started on Mac's if I remember correctly. So, you had a pretty legit reason to like a Mac. Nowadays though, most programs (aside from the standard OSX things) have been copied over to PC and the only reason you buy a Mac, is for the name...'Mac'. But other than that...and *perhaps* the Macbook's design (although, it is not my cup of tea), there is absolutely no reason to buy one.

Need raw processing power in a 15-inch laptop? Get a W860CU Clevo (Sager NP8690 (fully upgradeable CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD).
Want a nice design + raw processing power in a 15-inch laptop? Get a HP Envy 15-1110ea (i7 720M + 8GB RAM (upgradeable to 16GB) + light weight + better graphics than Mac)
Want best laptop for designing in terms of color accuracy? Get a Dell SXPS 16 (RGB LED screen is absolute win + i7 820M + better graphics)
Need more battery power for notetaking? Get...whatever the new ASUS laptop is called, 18 hours-ish battery time in a 13-inch package.

Note that all above laptops are infinitely better than the Mac and are between 200 to 1200 dollars cheaper than the Mac (although I am not sure about the ASUS, probably saves even more than 1200 dollars). Macbooks are always 1 or 2 generations behind in terms of equipment, but they are the highest priced laptops available.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm confused as to why review sites tend to rate the Mac up. Does Apple pay sites to give them favourable standings?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can someone close this thread before more people stomp on my heart?

/emo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom