State of projectile attacks, 1.3 and beyond

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
First of all, I haven't been following the "top" scene since I've quit, but I've returned to at least shape up a bit before 1.3 release. I was introduced to the "pro" scene by Kartsah about 4 years ago and back then besides the -125 hp combo we all abused, pretty much all that was used was basic melee with almost zero energy attacks ( I'm counting out kiblasts and genbeams seeing they were pretty much abused whenever you ran opposing enemy OOK ), and I'm pretty sure it's the same now knowing 1.2.3 gamepace - there's just no time to charge up stuff like KHH and stuff like that mid-fight and expect to get away with it - it's like dropping your guard in a UFC match and letting someone like Fedor K.O. you.

What I was wondering - was there any plans to actually encourage blast usage 1.3+ or is it going to be same old system reserved for, well, ****ters who go nerdrage mode in chat whenever you interrupt their attack charging and afterwards call you a retard for not standing still and letting them charge it in your face ?

What I mean is, why not drastically reduce the "cast time" and damage/KI drain each of those attacks do and actually increase the skill cap of the game ? It's just my POV, team should encourage faster-paced game and something which really puts your "skill" on a test against someone.

Last edited:
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Personally what i really like about ESF is that theres a good variety of gameplays u can use according to ur skills (u can either play by using ki attacks only, balance between ki and melee, or full melee), the problem is that using full melee for some people (like me :p) is really hard to do because its something that requires too much gameplay or PC-usage experience, and besides that, it'd kill the mod (my opinion) to make it force people to use melee, since ki projectiles is one of the essensials of DBZ

But perhaps it'd be good to put an option to adjust projectile damage / ki drain or something, i dont know xD ...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes we gave that some thoughts and have come up with a way to let big beams be integrated into the fastpaced gameplay :p

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Personally what i really like about ESF is that theres a good variety of gameplays u can use according to ur skills (u can either play by using ki attacks only, balance between ki and melee, or full melee), the problem is that using full melee for some people (like me :p) is really hard to do because its something that requires too much gameplay or PC-usage experience, and besides that, it'd kill the mod (my opinion) to make it force people to use melee, since ki projectiles is one of the essensials of DBZ

But perhaps it'd be good to put an option to adjust projectile damage / ki drain or something, i dont know xD ...
Sorry to break it down to you but you're bad and not even near the top if all you do is join the server and farm your powerlevel to the point where you can transform and just blast people from the distance - dragonball was mostly about fighting, not energy attack blasting across the maps until someone gets bored and leaves. Don't take it personally but I'm sure 99% of top players from back when I played actively and now will agree with me, it'd just be too ****ing boring.

Anyhow that's nice Grega, I suppose it's something like when you charge a bar up/rack combo points up you get drastically increased charging speed on your next attack ? :)

Best answers
How about the higher level of transformation, the faster for example a kamehameha charges.

Example:

At normal form it'll take you about the same time as in 1.2.3 to charge the kamehameha.
When transformed into a super saiyan the beam loads twice as fast? or a quarter faster.
In super saiyan 2 it loads a time faster.
So the higher your powerlevel / ascension the faster a kamehameha / big atack loads.

Something like this? Is it understandable?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Beams are def more useful now. You can do more than spam them :)

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
How about the higher level of transformation, the faster for example a kamehameha charges.

Example:

At normal form it'll take you about the same time as in 1.2.3 to charge the kamehameha.
When transformed into a super saiyan the beam loads twice as fast? or a quarter faster.
In super saiyan 2 it loads a time faster.
So the higher your powerlevel / ascension the faster a kamehameha / big atack loads.

Something like this? Is it understandable?
No. Transformations indeed are supposed to give you more fighting power, however they shouldn't ever help you more than giving you some extra speed and powerlevel - it was pretty unfair fighting a SSJ whilst in normal form. Alas, Lynx laming around with Buu was also annoying so I guess it evens up :p

Anyway my point is, beams in fastpaced gameplay should be a requirement at the top level, not just something transformed people abuse against players which just joined server.

Best answers
Hehe ok, well the idea seemed nice to me but I also think it'll be less balanced. Because people melee you into a wall and then kamehameha and your dead which removes al the great fighting you can do.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Not necessarily - if you're good, you can prevent stuff like that occurring to you 100% of times - the game's skillcap is pretty darn high and if you're good it's pretty amazing seeing what you can pull off.

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Anyhow that's nice Grega, I suppose it's something like when you charge a bar up/rack combo points up you get drastically increased charging speed on your next attack ? :)
You should check the video out from the last news...(the 2nd video)
ssj3 goku flies next to a beam and then he will shoot an khh against it.(this wasn't a effect from the movie cutting :p )

actually im not sure if this feature was already spread around in the public so....I will not say how it works exactly ^^

Best answers
I'll check it out again :)

Edit: Notice trunks, he's doing some sword melee and not even a second after that BOOM fires a big beam.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Green that feature is yet to be presented to the public.

We need to iron it out before we can do so.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also Encore check out about the maps esf uses now

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom