starting playing on WOW ...

Best answers
Just ordered World of Warcraft and a 60 day gamecard.
And since i dont know anything about the game, i would like to get some tips fo which race i should go with and which class. In onther rpg games i liked playing as Warrior-like classes or some uber-magician that casts damage dealing spells,if you can give me tips that suits the above would be awesome.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well you can have more than one character, the ones you play less being considered alts over the one you play the most.

You got your warrior class, and your mage class... which are both fun, so I recommend trying both.

The best thing about WoW is the talent tree customization, where you can improve certain spells are techniques you use a lot.

Usually, if you play on a PVP or PVE server you can find a guild easily, which is where the game improves a lot.

If your going to go warrior, be a human, tauren, or orc.

If your going to go mage, be a gnome, human, or undead.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Synth said:
If your going to go mage, be a gnome, human, or undead.
Hmm, why would you say human? racial traits have nothing to benifit mages really. If you want to be an effective mage, choose Gnomes, they have a racial trait that increases Intellect 20%.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, some people don't like the idea of being 3 feet tall with a large head, I suppose.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmm...
If you want to can choose to play as a warlock, there good, just harder to play then most class's.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want the most well-rounded experience, I suggest playing a Druid. Two races can be Druids, the Night Elves and the Tauren. Personally, I'd pick the Tauren--the Alliance is already overloaded compared to the Horde, and in my experience people are friendlier on the Horde--plus I believe Tauren are better suited to being Druids, with their racial bonuses. War Stomp and Endurance are two of the best racial traits.

Druids are the "jacks of all trades"--they're decent at fighting, good with nuking spells, and they're basically tied for the best Healers in the game, depending on how you spend your talent points. Depending on how you put your talent points, you can fulfill any role a group requires--damage dealer, tank, or healer.

Note that this isn't necessarily the case at the very high-end content. Most Druids at level 60 are 'forced' into the healing role, which is what Druids do best. This has changed a bit since I stopped playing, but I imagine it's still pretty much the same.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If your going horde the best class/race combo imo is the Tauren Warrior.

Nothing like War Stomping the beginning the ownage... they usually dominate PVP on my server with good gear.
-

But, aside from racial specials, anyone with good gear, can basically do their thing, just have to learn timing and your best approach, etc.

nge

Best answers
My last charecter was a Dwarven Preist, following the shadow set of spells. It's pretty powerful.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It depends wildly on what kind of experience you want. If you want visceral combat and big melee murdering capability, be a rogue; if you want to stand blow-for-blow with the biggest monsters in the game and keep coming back for more, be a warrior; if you want to eradicate your enemies from a distance choose a mage; if you're into crippling debuffs and demons then you might like the Warlock; if you prefer to live off the land and want to train a pet, be a hunter and go all Legolas on that ass; if you don't mind never dying at the expense of never actually getting to do anything fun, be a paladin; if you want to be relatively balanced in all departments, go druid; if you want to be a jack of all trades then the horde shaman is for you; if you want to be highly sought after for your healing prowess be a priest.

I wouldn't recommend being a warrior. We've been beaten in the face with the nerf bat since Beta; unless you are into tanking you might find it a little ... depressing. A warrior is a difficult job for a beginner. I think a rogue or a mage is the best class to start as; racially speaking, though, that's all just a matter of preference.

Remember: you can have as many characters as you want. Try them all till you find one you like.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Warriors are pretty fun in pvp (if you have a good build, you can slaughter rogues with mortal strike and overpower if you got a bigass slow 2 hander) They've gotten their nerfs, so have other classes, but I wouldn't say they aren't worth playing.

I've played as a rogue, and I love the class, I pvp as much as possible.

However, be forewarned that Rogues and Hunters are damage classes mainly, and are very common in the game, you will have trouble getting in later instances and crap unless you are in a guild that'll run it with you.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've noticed a lot of people level healers (priests, druids, and paladins) to get into MC/BWL/Ony (best instances) guilds, and then try to sneake their DPS class into raids after awhile.

Sometimes you play your cards right, and it works out though.

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I wouldn't recommend being a warrior. We've been beaten in the face with the nerf bat since Beta; unless you are into tanking you might find it a little ... depressing. A warrior is a difficult job for a beginner. I think a rogue or a mage is the best class to start as; racially speaking, though, that's all just a matter of preference.

That's odd because there are warriors on my server that are the most powerfull players on the server. One tauren warrior on my server can get up to 2000+ attack power and does well over 1000 white damage(thats just swinging his sword with no moves) Warriors dominate pvp and all guilds are looking for good tanks. In mc and bwl if we let the warriors go full out dps they always outdamage the rogues and mages. A warrior with good gear and a great 2 handed sword can kill cloth, leather and mail in a two - three hits.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sorry I don't have anything to contribute seeing as I don't play WoW. But man can you guys confuse people with everything you're saying. Especially SailorAlea. I read what she had to say and I thought my head was going to explode.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I played WoW for about one week, one year ago, and I know exactly what she was saying.

Please do not make spammish posts.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hitokiri said:
I played WoW for about one week, one year ago, and I know exactly what she was saying.

Please do not make spammish posts.
Congrats, i've never played in my life. If I played for one week one year ago, i would understand what they were saying. I figured the person who made this thread never played either, might get just as confused. Good thing I think about what i say before I say it eh?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basically everything she said was self-explanitory, especially when you consider that Gaara owns the game and has already started playing it. Unless he's a real newb to gaming and has no idea what "tank" and "healer" mean, I'm afraid I don't see any reason for your "head to explode" with the information being given, as she didn't use any confusing acronyms or anything. Just in case you're confused though, Gaara:

Tanks - characters good at absorbing damage
Nukers/Nukes/Nuking - high damage, single attack spells or characters designed around this
Healer/Healing - Geez, they heal
Damage dealer - One who deals lots of damage.

from Synth's post:

DPS - damage per second
instances - difficult missions you play through that involve your party and your party alone
MC/BWL/Ony - I never even made it into an instance, nor do I know what these stand for, however one can assume that they stand for the names of particularly difficult instances.
guilds - clans, i.e groups of characters that regularly work together, help each other get items/complete quests, etc.

I hope that helps you too, Phoenix. Don't think too hard now.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well for one, i interpreted his post to be that he hasn't played yet. And if you think that
I'd pick the Tauren--the Alliance is already overloaded compared to the Horde, and in my experience people are friendlier on the Horde--plus I believe Tauren are better suited to being Druids, with their racial bonuses. War Stomp and Endurance are two of the best racial traits.
to be quite confusing. Especially for someone who hasn't played. Like me. And I was assuming Gaara was asking such questions BEFORE he started playing (kind of stupid to start playing then ask for advice wouldn't you say) I have no freaking clue what any of that means. A druid... no idea, a horde? Like a horde of monsters? racial bonuses? I don't question peoples intelligence by saying "Oh incase you didn't understand my post, i was saying maybe he doesn't know what any of this means, because i sure don't" I feel that's implied. Oh and "my head to explode" is a figure of speech, again i try not to question your intelligence. I figured you knew that already.

But thank you for clearing some stuff up. I know all about tanks, nukers etc

I didn't know what a DPS or what instances was, or what a MC/BWL/Ony was. Good thing I play WoW all the time and have 5 level 60's eh?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*Gaara* said:
Just ordered World of Warcraft and a 60 day gamecard.
He owns the game. Even if he doesn't already, there's no sense in restating the entire basics of the manual to him, since the information you just quoted is absolutely basic character creation information that will be figured out within a few minutes of installing the game.

Your expression (and I am aware it was an expression), from my view, was an unfair exagerration of how complicated the post was, considering, again, how basic the majority of this information (especially in Alea's post) has been.

But I'm not going to argue semantics. This is a thread for WoW beginners who want advice.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That is enough from the both of you, you're both wrong and both offtopic. Back on point or this thread is going to be closed.

Best answers
RavenTrunks said:
Hmm, why would you say human? racial traits have nothing to benifit mages really. If you want to be an effective mage, choose Gnomes, they have a racial trait that increases Intellect 20%.
First off, Intellect by 20% my ass. It's Intellect by 5% , what do you think the gnomes are?
Why to pick humans? The humans have + reputation gain by 10% and they have preception ( decects stealth for 20 seconds ).
Not nly do you become a good rogue killer, but overall long terms you do alot less stuff to get reputation gain done.

As for personal opinion, I suggest you go with a Rogue or a Warrior. The classes are both extrordinary in pve and pvp, that is if you like melee classes :p.

You should never go with a paladin or a shaman ( Both utter **** classes ).
In general they do play well, and do help out, but when it comes to great guilds and individual dkp systems, since your ahybrid your always not prioritized for loot, it's really a pain in the ass.
Anyway, my suggestion is rogue or warrior ;p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom