Starting drivers training soon!

Best answers
Yeah, Im gonna start drivers training soon, probably in May. Im starting really late actually. Right now i am 15, and I turn 16 on September 30th. Everyone else at school that is my age has already taken it... except my neighbor and good friend Wyatt... We will take it together. But thats not the point of this thread.

To tell you guys the truth, im SCARED ****LESS OF DRIVING! I have no clue why, probably getting in accidents. So my question is... do any of you guys have any advice about my little problem?

I dont want to be the kid that goes 5mph on a 4 lane road downtown and slams on the brake every 2 seconds.

And just for the hell of it, Im gonna be driving a 1996 Chevy Beretta Z26 Coupe. V6 engine, 150+ horsepower, Automatic Transmission, 3.1Liter.

http://www.gmphotostore.com/images/53216822_pr.jpg Pic!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
do any of you guys have any advice about my little problem?
Drive on the highway.

Match the speed of cars as you merge (aka be going 65mph by the time you're off the exit ramp unless it's a short one).

Highway driving is actually the easiest, least stops/possible hazards.

Either that or drive on deserted back roads until you feel awesome at it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
drive on deserted roads

also yeah always match the traffic's speed. think of it like the game frogger, where you have to be moving the same speed to not get hit

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was intimidated by other drivers just before I started the in-car portion of driver's ed, as well. Really, maneuvering around on the road just falls into the second-nature category after you drive for a while. Some things can still be a hassle for me, as I have barely any vision out of my right eye (so, for those of you who do drive, you can imagine what a hassle it would be for me to perform a right shoulder check >_>), but I have my mirrors set up to compensate for that.

Really, I think that the best way to overcome any doubts you have about how you'll do on the road is simply to get a feel for it and realize that you are in complete control of your vehicle on the road. As long as you keep yourself on the ball, you'll be able to keep yourself out of any trouble on the road.

The only really annoying thing, imo, about driver's ed (at least, here in Manitoba) is the number of minor rules and technicalities that you need to know for your test, but, at the end of the day, have little practical value on the road that common sense won't account for.

Otherwise, I stand by my original point. I think your apprehension is completely legit, and I think that once you get a feel for handling a vehicle and you first get out onto a major street (for me, that wasn't until my second in-car lesson; the first lesson was all on quiet, residential streets), you'll actually find a certain amount of fun in motoring around =]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They start you off slowly... at 5 mph, so theres nothing to worry about.

Ill assume youre learning on an automatic, so all there is to get used to is driving. I learned on a manual transmission. Learning to drive is somewhat more difficult when merely getting going from a stop is the hard part.

After your second lesson or so, youll be comfortable driving around, and the instructor isnt going to push you to do anything before youre ready.

Best answers
Yeh, i remember when i started out i was a tad worried too, but pretty much for nothing. After the first lesson i felt pretty smooth and couldn´t wait for the second to take place. ^_^

If you´re already worried about a 65mph highway, imagine to be on a no speed limit autobahn(the german highway). ;)

My tip, don´t worry to much, cause that will get you stressed more then its worth. Just relax, the instructor is with you, nothin can happen.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Truth is they are just as afraid of getting into an accident as you are. So no one will be hitting you anytime soon.

When i first started driving, i was scared like there was no tomorrow. But fact is, it's not hard, and the only way you'll get into an accident is if you pull out RIGHt in front of someone or if you don't pay attention and hit someone from behind. (remember it's their fault if they hit you from behind so no worries)

Don't pay attention to the speed limit unless there is no one around, always go the speed everyone else is going. Here in CO there is this one high way (if you can call it that) that has a speed limit of 55, everyone goes 80 and i've seen cops go faster.

Cops will test you and "play" with you so to speak. They'll do things like pass you and then slow down to see if you'll pass them (chicken ****s don't pass them...i'm a chicken **** =P)

Learn to drive all types of cars. I.E manual. That way if something were to ever happen, and you needed to drive a manual, you can.

Take advanced driving courses to teach you what to do in certain situations, first it helps you if you were to ever skid, or if you're in really bad conditions, second, it lowers your insurance, and trust me, you'll need it. (getting a B average in school helps too)

Start on back streets and go slow. Then once you get used to the speed work your way up. Then go for main roads, and finally the highway.

Know that the highway is the safest place to drive where the least amount of accidents occur. Back streets are the most frequent.

Yeah as to what cyrotek said: 1. the autoban isn't scary in the least. But if you're going slower than a guy behind you you better move the **** outta his way. And if you're thinking you're going to get on the highway and go 65... you best worry or never hit the highway, because everyone will be going faster than you..

Rule number 1: Everyone goes faster than the speed limit except old people.
Old people will tale gate you so if they do, let them pass. They have a slower reaction speed so if you were to ever stop quickly, they'll hit you.

Oh, here is a great hint if ever the time comes: When it snows out, and it's icy/snowy, don't hit the brakes and hold them, tap the brakes gently. Also, if you ever run out of brake fluid (which i hope you don't) that's what that handy emergency brake is for. If that doesn't work, use the side of the curb to stop you. 2 very helpful hints that have saved my life in the past.

Best answers
Wow, I never knew they start you out at 5mph. I think this advice worked though, Im not as scared as I was. I only wish my car would work and I was allowed to drive somewhere. My parents wont let me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phonics said:
Know that the highway is the safest place to drive where the least amount of accidents occur. Back streets are the most frequent.
Also know that while the fewest accidents occur on highways, the ones that do occur there make the headlines.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have my A-Z License which is a truck license up here in Canada A is the driving class and the Z endorsement is for my air brakes. I've been driving trucks now for about 2 years and the first time I got behind one I was terrified more then when I was in a car. Reason being because I could cause more damage to someone in a truck then in a little Buick Century heh.

I find highway driving and city driving is pretty much the same minus the speed your doing both are very dangerous if your not careful what you are doing. Always be considerit of other drivers too if you come up to a stop sign and someone else may pull up at the same time give them the wave to go on this helps prevents a lot of accidents I'm sure of. Also just for other truck/bus drivers when you see a truck doing a sharp right hand turn coming into your lane backup to give him room so he does not have to reverse at all and worry about the vehicles behind them.

My advice as for driving both is try to keep cars out of your blindspots when your on the highway stay about 2 good car length behind any vehicle so you do not tailgate and you will have time to respond if someone infront of you for some reasons slams on their brakes or an accident may occur I don't know how many times this has saved me from getting into major accidents.
When your on the highway always keep with the flow of traffic

Last but not least TRUST YOUR OWN DRIVING AND NOBODY ELSES!
You don't want to know how many times a little chinese/women drivers have cut just right infront of me coming onto the highway from the on ramp and I had to sometimes had to quickly go into the far left lane and praying to god there is nobody coming that way.

Anyways thats all for that good luck with your lessons driving is fun once you got the feel of the vehicle and know what you are doing.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security, same here. I'm going to take the driving test on the day before my Birthday as scheduled.

I have the same feeling as you too. >_>

Best answers
You havent taken training yet?

Im not really scared anymore. I actually cleaned out my car today... even though i wont use it until this time next year. :/ But im actually so excited that i am gonna call the academy tomorrow and see when their next set of classes are avaliable. But I do have quite a lot of problems with my car...

Does anyone know how to fix locked up brakes? my emergency brake is on, and it wont come off, and my car has been in park for about 2 years now. So they are locked up... like i said. Can anyone help?

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is that all that is stuck? The parking/e-brake? Or are oyu talking about the car being stuck in Park, the gear. (not really a gear, but you get what I mean)

Is it a pedal or lever?

Best answers
No, i can get it out of park... In fact, I shifted it into neutral today. But the brakes are locked up.

and the emergency break is a lever. I can disengage the e-brake, but when I re-engage it, its way too easy to re-engage. It WAS hard to move the lever, but ever sense I put it on last year, its really easy to re-engage.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Yeah, Im gonna start drivers training soon, probably in May. Im starting really late actually. Right now i am 15, and I turn 16 on September 30th. Everyone else at school that is my age has already taken it... except my neighbor and good friend Wyatt... We will take it together. But thats not the point of this thread.

To tell you guys the truth, im SCARED ****LESS OF DRIVING! I have no clue why, probably getting in accidents. So my question is... do any of you guys have any advice about my little problem?

I dont want to be the kid that goes 5mph on a 4 lane road downtown and slams on the brake every 2 seconds.

And just for the hell of it, Im gonna be driving a 1996 Chevy Beretta Z26 Coupe. V6 engine, 150+ horsepower, Automatic Transmission, 3.1Liter.

http://www.gmphotostore.com/images/53216822_pr.jpg Pic!
Hmm, thought you were older. Anyways, I remember when I first started drivers training, I was nervous as HELL! But now I LOVE driving, it rocks :)

Anyways, just don't worry too much and yes, you will make mistakes, so don't freak out about it, and like a few people have said before highway driving is the easiest driving and the most fun :)

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security, has it rained recently or have you gone through any puddles?

Im asking because the rotors can rust binding the pads to the rotors. So if things are wet, and you apply the e-brake they lock up like that. This is what you need to do. You need to get the car moving somehow, youll probably hear a a very loud bang, thats the brake pads freeing themselves from the rotors.

If thats not the case, the cable has broken and you should have a mechanic take a look at it.

Best answers
Yeah, its been raining like crazy. You know michigan weather, since you used to live in Detroit and all...

Im guessing that the brakes are rusted together. But im not sure how i am supposed to move it. Should I shift the car in Neutral and attach some chains to my john deere and pull it very slowly?

Im not joking, i really dont know what to do.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Put the car in drive and slowly apply the gas. You should hear a very loud disturbing bang.

*I edited out the put your foot on the brake part, dont do that

Just talking from experience, try this at your own will man.

Best answers
Rofl, i guess this is a good time to inform you that the timing belt shredded off 3 years ago and the battery is dead. Thats why I suggested using my john deere.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Umm....yeah that would cause a problem hahaha. The only thing I can picture happening to your car is the car sliding on the grass/pavement. It needs power to the wheels to get the rotors moving. But try whatever you want, maybe it will work, unless the car weighs less than the tractor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom