Starting drivers training soon!

Best answers
****, then I have a problem. Will the car still run without a timing belt? Atleast for about 5-10 minutes?

Hopefully If i can, then all i have to do is jumpstart the battery... and learn how in the process.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you try to start your car with a broken timing belt, youre going to put your valve trains and pistons at serious risk and really **** things up. The pistons will smash into the valves when the cam stops turning, which will result in broken/bent valves or cracked pistons.

Then there wont be any saving the motor, unless you want to dump a good chunk of change into fixing it.
Replacing the timing belt isnt exactly cheap either, but it has to be done. I would get that fixed first.

Best answers
I have the timing belt right here, but I have no clue how to install it, and my dad doesnt have the time.

The belt shredded twice already. I heard that if it is too loose then it will shred, and too tight will tear it. Im not sure if it was too loose or if something is sticking out and shredding it. And what is the expensive part of replacing it anyway?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WHoa NEVER start a car with a broken timing belt dude. you'll **** up your engine, and you'll have to spend around 5 grand on a new engine instead of 300 on a new belt. You don't install a timing belt >.> You make other people do it for you.

Well, so far, it's probably cheaper to start looking for a new car.

Batteries are around 90 bucks, plus a timing belt install is around 300 or so give or take. Then There's all the rust, which means everything that's rusted "SHOULD" (but not manditory) be replaced. Buy a new car.

Best answers
No, I got the timing belt mixed up with the serpentine belt. Its an easy install... atleast thats what they say at about.com. lol

But seriously. Im gonna clean off all rust on the pulley's tomorrow, and install the belt. Then jumpstart the Beretta, and put it in reverse until my brakes loosen up. Then drive it around the drive way to see how it runs. That should be everything... except for the spark plugs and the oil pan. But those are easy, they'll just take a while.

There isnt now way i'll give up this car, it kicks ass. and i'll be happy when its all said and done and the thing runs great.

Best answers
I didn't get my drivers licence since 2-3 months ago.. (I'm 20) while most people of my age/generation, started at the age of 16-17.. I'm just not interested in cars or driving overall.. I just got it because most jobs require people that have a driver's licence.. (yes, I've missed 2 jobs because I didn't have a car and/or driver's licence)

Best answers
Yeah, I'm having a little trouble installing my new serpentine belt, can someone help me out... Like an article at a website or something telling me how to install it?

Best answers
You know, I dont usually double post or revive dead threads (if you consider this dead) but I have good news... for me anyways.

I got that damn belt on. It took me 4-5 hours, but i got the bastard. I know it shouldn't taken so long, but I thought I did good for not knowing a whole lot of what I was doing.

So I just want to thank Twister for his help on the IM, and the same goes for Fire Pheonix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom