Starfield (1920x1080)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I must admit, despite how limited the options in Paint.NET are in comparison to Photoshop, I'm enjoying the challenge. Rather than having a filter for everything, there's a lot of thinking and experimenting involved in an attempt to get desired results.

Not to mention Paint.NET is free.

Anyway, I do plan on adding planets, nebulae and the like once I figure out how to make them.

Note: Upon closer inspection, I noticed that I forgot to use the "Glow" filter on the colored stars.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A very nice start, but like you mentioned, the glow effect goes a long way to adding some realism to it.

I can't wait until you add some nebulae to it. Looks promising.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know if you just stare at it long enough, you'll see some of it sparkling as if you were looking outside :D

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks believable, but to be honest, I have to say I like Photoshop versions more. They seem more aliased and look more realistic (although adding that glow effect would probably change a lot). That said, I also believe you should try making some star clusters (in combination with nebula's), instead of a uniformly filled image. That way you can also add some black star-less patches to the image and makes it a lot more 'interesting' to look at.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

As much as I enjoyed (notice the past tense) challenge, it's becoming increasingly difficult to get desired results with Paint.NET's limited options (figuring out how to make a nebulae is a pain in the ass).

Either way, if Paint.NET becomes too problematic, then I'll switch over to GIMP (which has more filters, options and the like).

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't say I find it an interesting starfield. Looks very bland, and I am not saying that because it doesn't have a proper nebula in it yet, the starfield itself is just..boring. There needs to be a more random density of the stars (Less big stars, more smaller stars. And places with more stars per square inch, and other places with less stars per square inch). This one for examle, is much more interesting to look at: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=starfield#/dv1lu5 (Beware, massive picture). Also, the brown clouds look more like diarrea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom