StarCraft II Trilogy

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
At BlizzCon 2008, Blizzard's VP of Game Design Rob Pardo announced at the StarCraft II gameplay panel that the company would be breaking StarCraft II into three separate products. According to Pardo, the game's single-player campaign had gotten so large in the design phase that the company was faced with the choice of drastically scaling back the product or delaying it extensively. Instead of doing either, the company decided to break the product up into three different games, collectively called the StarCraft II trilogy.

The first game available will contain the Terran campaign, Wings of Liberty, along with a mini-campaign featuring the Protoss hero Zeratul. The second product will focus on Kerrigan and the Zerg and be called Heart of the Swarm. The final product is about the Protoss and is titled Legacy of the Void. Pardo was quick to reassure the crowd that this applied to single-player only and that the multiplayer portion would ship complete with all three races playable.

He also stated that gamers could think of the two subsequent products as expansion packs, but that Blizzard would be treating them as full-fledged games. No price point or release date for any of the products was announced.
Source: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/starcraft-2/918896p1.html

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will buy them all, twice.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How about having to wait one year before each release?

With the single-player portions of StarCraft 2 now split into three distinct games, Blizzard lead producer Chris Sigaty and VP Rob Pardo have revealed that the individual titles will ideally be released at least a year apart from one another.

"With any luck, it would be like a year for each successive one, but that's going to be a target date, that's not a promise," Pardo noted in a Joystiq interview.

"In a lot of ways, you should think about the follow-ups as being kind of expansion sets to the original," Pardo explained. "It's just that the campaigns are not going to feel like expansions, they're going to feel like full, independent stories."

"I don't know how long it's going to take...it could be [a year or more between each one]," producer Sigaty revealed to MTV Multplayer. "We want to hit the shortest amount of time possible."

"Let's spin that in a positive light," he laughed, attributing the uncertainty to the time it takes to complete each story made and their respective in-engine cinematics. Sigaty also noted that the team has yet to discuss pricing details for the individual games.

Though Blizzard has yet to say when the PC real-time strategy trilogy will start making its way into stores, the first release, Terrans: Wings of Liberty, will feature the main Terran campaign and a Protoss mini-campaign.

The second release, Zerg: Heart of the Swarm will contain some RPG elements, with the third entry, Protoss: Legacy of the Void sporting some diplomatic gameplay.

The effects that the split will have on multiplayer have not been "set in stone," according to Sigaty, though each release may bring new units to the multiplayer portion.
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55283

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I actually find this quite stupid. Sure the single player is important and fun to play, but separating it? I really don't think that would be needed. Go get us the MP version while you guys are working on the SP version I'd say.

Best answers
They are giving us the multiplayer version, they said full MP version is coming with the first one. That said, i like the SP campaign stuff, i'm not sure i can justify buying 3 games for it. It's unfortunate that the human one is the first one out, because that's the one I least want to play.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
They are giving us the multiplayer version, they said full MP version is coming with the first one. That said, i like the SP campaign stuff, i'm not sure i can justify buying 3 games for it. It's unfortunate that the human one is the first one out, because that's the one I least want to play.
Guess I once again missed it. Nonetheless, would each cost... 30 dollars? or more?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont find this any different to what Half life 2 did :|

If the single player is that amazing, i might buy the others, but as it is, I'm just happy that they'll probably release it sooner and make each part of the story more polished.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont find this any different to what Half life 2 did :|

If the single player is that amazing, i might buy the others, but as it is, I'm just happy that they'll probably release it sooner and make each part of the story more polished.
My thoughts exactly. Multiplayer was definitely NOT my favorite part of the original SC, so seeing the campaign getting this much attention is good news for me, even if it ups the price. It turned out just fine for HL2, in my opinion.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When it comes to Blizzard's RTS games I like playing through the single player campaigns of each race first to see which one fits with me better. This is lame, in my opinion. I've got to wait two more years before I can play Protoss or Zerg in SP? Lame. My overuse of the word lame? Lame.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure there'll be a skirmish option or something.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Probably. I guess the thing I'm not really liking about the way they're releasing it is that you've never had to buy what is basically an expansion pack to play the other races.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You'll be able to play all races in the first release through multiplayer. I don't see the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom