Starcraft 2 --- Confirmed (?)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It has been confirmed that StarCraft 2 is being developed in 3D, a new race has been added and existing units' characteristics will have many changes. Additional details will only be revealed to certain parts of WWI.

However, trustworthy information is being leaked from previous Blizzard employees, and through an acquaintance of ex-Blizzard North employees, StarCraft 2's development and its announcement at the WWI has been confirmed.

MBC Game's Lee Sang-Ho head said "Frankly, it's half anticipation and half worry. If SC2 is released in a form that is compatible with e-sports broadcast, there will be many new gamers and the entire industry will develop. However if it comes out in a form that is not easy to broadcast, like WarCraft 3, StarCraft fans will focus on the sequel while the original league will suffer a decline", expressing a cautious mindset.

OnGameNet's StarCraft commentator Um Jae-Kyung said "Blizzard has probably already grasped the difference between this nation's gamers and foreign gamers' difference in inclination through WarCraft 3. So I'm hoping for a more balanced structure, a structure with e-sports in mind. However, I believe that the e-sports league will continue to focus on StarCraft and a new league focusing on StarCraft 2 will form, the industry growing bigger as a result. As a gamer, I'm really looking forward to it.
http://teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=52433

;)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NICE. I think StarCraft was my first game, or Half-Life. Not sure. Anyways, good to know it has a sequel coming, that was a damn good game.

By the way, do people actually still play that game? It's old as hell now... Probably not any fun any more...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was just introduced to it a couple days ago, and it seemed like standard RTS fare to me . . . though granted I've played games that probably copied many of its idea's which have given me this impression.
Here's hoping for some new gameplay elements for such a classic game

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spunky said:
By the way, do people actually still play that game? It's old as hell now... Probably not any fun any more...
The Koreans still play it like it's the best game ever. They televise tournaments ffs.

Best answers
I knew it. I knew Blizzard was afraid to develope SC2. How could you? How can you possibly live up to such an epic game? Especially since most of the original SC developers have long since left the team.

But we've heard these rumours before. There was a big one for Diablo 3/SC2 at last years Blizzcon but nothing happened. I'm kind of skeptical.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CHeck the other starcraft threads...i'm pretty sure i posted something about SC2 already...

and yes some people here still play SC if you checked the threads

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd be afraid to make SC2 also.

You know how many koreans will **** their pants/die in net cafes around the world?

Best answers
I guarantee that if SC2 turns out badly.

At least one person will kill themselves.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seriously. At least they aren't puzzing out like Square Enix and releasing a Starcraft 3-D Animated Movie or some BS.

I'm also happy this isn't an MMORPG.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mountain Dewd said:
I guarantee that if SC2 turns out badly.

At least one person will kill themselves.
Relax, remember that if these rumors are substantiated, this is being made by Blizzard. They have yet to disappoint.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
this is being made by Blizzard. They have yet to disappoint.
WoW anyone? :p

/dodges thrown objects

Spunky said:
NICE. I think StarCraft was my first game, or Half-Life. Not sure. Anyways, good to know it has a sequel coming, that was a damn good game.

Me, Lionheart and TigerGeo still play it fanatically on our Hamachi server. And we pwn XD

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:
Seconded.
I'm sure Starcraft 2 will be a great game, if it doesn't live up to its name, It'll still be a good game for years to come.
I'ma hope Blizzards team hasn't lost their touch with RTS', though I can't wait to check out the story and cinematics for SC2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering that I'm enjoying it now, no. They have yet to disappoint me, so I'll continue to have faith until they do.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blizzard prepping 'next-gen MMO,' Starcraft 2?

Source: Several job listings on the official Blizzard Web site and a forum thread on Starcraft-centric Teamliquid.net.

What we heard: Barely a month goes by without some sort of speculation--and the occasional prank--raising the prospect of Blizzard Entertainment's next project. One of the most common rumors has the cash-flush Vivendi subsidiary working on a console version of World of Warcraft, its wildly popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game. That theory got a boost this week, when Blizzard posted job listings for a lead technical artist, lead tools programmer, and lead engine programmer for a "next-gen MMO."

"Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an individual to lead an engine-programming team focused on next-generation massively multiplayer online games," read one of the job descriptions. "The ideal candidate will possess outstanding communication and coordination skills and be capable of...[helping in the] design and creation of a next-generation engine."

As if the mention of a new Blizzard MMOG wasn't enough, this week also saw rumors spread that the publisher-developer is resurrecting one of its classic real-time strategy series. According to a Korean newsletter partially translated by Teamliquid.net, "StarCraft 2 will be revealed for the first time to the world at Blizzard's World Wide Invitational (WWI)." According to the letter, Blizzard will also use the event, which takes place in Seoul, South Korea, on May 19 and 20, to show off the game, which reportedly has full 3D graphics, a revamped combat system, and a new race.

The official story: In an unusual turn of events, Blizzard freely admits that it will announce a new game at the WWI in Korea, where Starcraft's popularity is at near-fanatical levels. "We do intend to announce a new product at the Worldwide Invitational next month in Korea, and we appreciate the enthusiasm and interest in getting an advance look at what that will be," a rep told GameSpot.

Unsurprisingly, though, Blizzard's publicity minion became tight-lipped about the new game. "We can't give any further details regarding the product announcement at WWI," the rep said. "Everyone will have to wait until the event to find out the news."

The Blizzard rep was even less chatty when it came to the subject of the next-gen MMOG. "Blizzard has a number of unannounced projects in the works, but we're not prepared to make any announcements about them at this time," was all he would say.

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus that a new Blizzard game will be announced in just over three weeks. (Mark your calendars!) Bogus that it's been officially confirmed as Starcraft 2. "We have a very strong connection with the characters and settings of StarCraft, and we do plan to revisit that universe at some point in the future, but we don't have anything new to announce in that regard at present," said the Blizzard rep.

As for the next-gen MMOG, the job listings prove that it is not bogus. However, the fact that none of the listings mention any platform means that the game could be a "next-gen" PC MMORPG, not a next-gen console title. This seems the more likely scenario, given that Blizzard reassigned much of its console team to focus on PC projects last August.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They better not make Starcraft an MMO. I swear to God...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno. If it was like Planetside that would be pretty cool...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nah, it need's to be an RTS. I'll be severely disappointed otherwise =(

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I doubt it's real. Keep in mind that that could just be a mod for another game, I know theres a mod team out there converting Warcraft 3 (i think it was wc3 anyways) into starcraft.

If the real game looked something like that though, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom