Star Wars: Force Unleashed

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/gameinfo/news/summary.html

A few of you have probobly seen that sick next gen starwars game trailer featuring amazingness which i cant even explain here, this is that game.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
The Star Wars saga continues this November in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, a videogame developed by LucasArts, which casts players as Darth Vader's "Secret Apprentice" and promises to unveil new revelations about the Star Wars galaxy. The expansive story, created under direction from George Lucas, is set during the largely unexplored era between Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. In it, players will assist the iconic villain in his quest to rid the universe of Jedi - and face decisions that could change the course of their destiny.

As its name implies, The Force Unleashed completely re-imagines the scope and scale of the Force by taking full advantage of newly developed technologies that will be seen and experienced for the first time: Digital Molecular Matter (DMM), by Pixelux Entertainment, and euphoria by NaturalMotion Ltd. Paired with the powerful Havok Physics? system, these new technologies create gameplay only possible on the new generation of consoles. DMM incorporates the physical properties of anything in the environment so that everything reacts exactly like it should - wood breaks like wood, glass shatters like glass, plants on the planet Felucia bend like plants on the planet Felucia would, and more. Meanwhile, as a revolutionary behavioral-simulation engine, euphoria enables interactive characters to move, act and even think like actual human beings, adapting their behavior on the fly and resulting in a different payoff every single time.

Features
During the period between Episodes III and IV, players hunt Jedi in the role of Darth Vader's Secret Apprentice.
Unleash and upgrade the Secret Apprentice's four core Force powers - Force push, grip, repulse and lightning - throughout the course of the game, and combine them for ultra-destructive, never-before-seen combos.
Examples of unleashing the Force in ways never thought possible:
The Secret Apprentice won't just Force push enemies into walls - he'll Force push enemies through walls.
The Secret Apprentice won't just Force grip foes to throw them aside - he'll Force grip them in midair, zap them with lightning, then drop them to the ground to explode like a bomb.
In addition to new adversaries created just for the game, such as fugitive Jedi and Force-sensitive Felucians, players will also confront and associate with familiar faces from the Star Wars films, including Darth Vader.
Visit locations such as Episode III's Wookiee homeworld Kashyyyk and the floral Felucia, the junk planet Raxus Prime, plus an Imperial TIE fighter construction facility.
Decisions made by players throughout the game will determine the path of the story, including multiple endings that will rock Star Wars continuity as they know it.
The Force Unleashed is LucasArts' first internally developed title for next-generation consoles, and it represents the first in-game collaboration of talents and technology between LucasArts and Industrial Light & Magic, two companies now finally under one roof at the new Letterman Digital Arts Center in San Francisco's Presidio district.
The Force Unleashed debuts Digital Molecular Matter from Pixelux and euphoria behavioral simulation from NaturalMotion Ltd.
LucasArts is preparing an unprecedented promotional effort around the launch of The Force Unleashed, encompassing a full line of toys and game-based action figures from Hasbro, as well as a full publishing program from Dark Horse, Del Rey and Palace Press.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I kept an eye on that title.
The 360 videos look great, I'm also glad it's coming out on the PS2 cause that would be the only way for me to play it, maybe it will look weaker graphic wise compared to the 360 and all but it's still something.

I cant wait to see how this game will develop, especially when the story-line is based between the third movie and the forth movies, which should be really interesting.

Indeed a good game to look forward to.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it was for PC, it might have had a chance of being good.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i hope theres some type of online play, like jedi outcast/academy

edit question

if your hunting jedi why are you fighting storm troopers?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm with you there. Why the hell are all of the promising games released on the console? Especially with all of these new technologies for the PC, you'd think they wake up and realize, "oh ****, we've been developing for this, when we could have been developing for that!".

However, now is not the time for my biased opinions. The bottom line for me is: release it for PC, like you know you should... bastards...

Edit: TALK ABOUT PWN!!!

http://www.lucasarts.com/videopop.html?vidWidth=480&vidHeight=285&vidTitle=what%20is%20dmm?&vidPath=/media/games/theforceunleashed/dmm.mov

http://www.lucasarts.com/videopop.h...h=/media/games/theforceunleashed/euphoria.mov

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
It could be a good game regardless =P

ZeroNightmare said:
i hope theres some type of online play, like jedi outcast/academy

edit question

if your hunting jedi why are you fighting storm troopers?
I dont see it having an online mutiplayer option, the Jedi Knight series was unique xP but here's hoping.

And about the other question, I think they're giving you the option to be as ruthless as possible as a Sith, to destory everything and kill everyone, fun fun =o

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It could be a good game regardless =P

I dont see it having an online mutiplayer option, the Jedi Knight series was unique xP but here's hoping.

And about the other question, I think they're giving you the option to be as ruthless as possible as a Sith, to destory everything and kill everyone, fun fun =o
If it's on the console, it's going to be a hack and slash game. They could pull something awesome off, but I doubt it. Just my personal opinion.

Best answers
garrys mod would be tons of fun with this game, too bad its only released on consoles, atleast for now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
your just mad because console games are starting to not suck

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm with you there. Why the hell are all of the promising games released on the console? Especially with all of these new technologies for the PC, you'd think they wake up and realize, "oh ****, we've been developing for this, when we could have been developing for that!".

However, now is not the time for my biased opinions. The bottom line for me is: release it for PC, like you know you should... bastards...

Edit: TALK ABOUT PWN!!!

http://www.lucasarts.com/videopop.html?vidWidth=480&vidHeight=285&vidTitle=what%20is%20dmm?&vidPath=/media/games/theforceunleashed/dmm.mov

http://www.lucasarts.com/videopop.h...h=/media/games/theforceunleashed/euphoria.mov
Nice vids. Now games have great graphics and great physics. All they're missing now is great AI. Hopefully a company will come along soon and deliver something worthwhile on that front.

And yeah, console games piss me off. Lots of really good games are going to the consoles (which are really a lot less spectular than they were cracked up to be), and all we're liable to get is a half assed port, if anything.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's looking to be interesting, indeed.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All they're missing now is great AI.
Erm, did you even watch the second vid? It was an AI demo. The first one was a demo for DMM. The second was a demo for Euphoria, the game's incredible AI system.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was doubtful that they'd pull anything more than average out of this, but its looking like its shaping up very nicely. I can't wait to find if all the separate elements actually form a as stunning a whole as it has the potential to be

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was doubtful that they'd pull anything more than average out of this, but its looking like its shaping up very nicely. I can't wait to find if all the separate elements actually form a as stunning a whole as it has the potential to be
Dude, from just those two videos, I can already tell that there will be ENDLESS possibilities for this game. Maybe that's why they aren't releasing it for the PC though, is because the technology is exclusive to LucasArts, and so they probably dont want to be topped by other developers. Too bad though, this game seems to have fantastic potential modding capabilities.

Edit: I realize now that sounded pretty dumb. Dunno what I was thinking when I said that. They have nothing to fear from releasing the game for the PC, only from releasing an SDK...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude, from just those two videos, I can already tell that there will be ENDLESS possibilities for this game. Maybe that's why they aren't releasing it for the PC though, is because the technology is exclusive to LucasArts, and so they probably dont want to be topped by other developers. Too bad though, this game seems to have fantastic potential modding capabilities.

Edit: I realize now that sounded pretty dumb. Dunno what I was thinking when I said that. They have nothing to fear from releasing the game for the PC, only from releasing an SDK...
But thats just it. It's their Software. They don't need to release an SDK. Of course then they have to fear someone cracking it and modifying it anyway, but thats usually difficult. Quite difficult.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
your just mad because console games are starting to not suck
The more games that are good, the better. I'm just saying you can't have the same level of control on a console as you can with a PC. Because of this, I'm under the impression that it'll be little more than a hack and slash game. I just want another Jedi Knight game is all and I don't see that happening if it's on a console.

Console games generally sell better than PC games. They could believe it's not worth the money to port the game to PC, which in all likelihood is why it's not on the PC. It has nothing to do with them not wanting the game to be modded, most developers try very hard to get their game moddable. Mods are seen as a great thing in the public eye and can and does drive game sales, it's what happened with Half-Life for example

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not on the PC because the PC market is starting to thiin out.

It's easier to develop for one console, on which everyone can run the game, than to try and scale the game so it runs on lower end systems but still looks pretty on higher end systems.

Developing for consoles is more cost-effective, and you reach a much larger audience. And with the way consoles are going, PC isn't going to have much of an advantage anymore in a few years.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only games I'm interested in for the 360 are undoubtedly going to be ported to the PC. As for the PS3, there are maybe 2 or 3 games that I want to play that won't be ported any time soon, if at all. Even then, I don't see console games surpassing PC games. They're catching up graphics-wise (for now at least, seeing as how the PC market is constantly changing for the better), but in terms of gameplay, it's the same **** we've all played. Consoles are going to need a little more than a few years to catch up.

The JKA titles weren't particularly deep (hold the swing button, and use the directionals/joystick to change the attack), but it still worked out fairly well. If they incorporate a similar system (slightly more complex and rewarding would be nice, though), this next game shouldn't be too bad. I'm kind of excited to see the how we're able to take advantage of our environment, but something tells me the shock factor is going to wear off after an hour or so. There are only so many ways to throw someone through a wall.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Erm, did you even watch the second vid? It was an AI demo. The first one was a demo for DMM. The second was a demo for Euphoria, the game's incredible AI system.
No, that was showing procedural animation, not artificial intelligence. It doesn't matter that you can use storm troopers like a Barrel of Monkeys if all they are capable of doing is sidestepping and throwing the occasional grenade... er, excuse me, thermal detonator. I want storm troopers that will see you flinging people around with lightning and run screaming for reinforcements, or organize a standoff, rather than simply running into the meat grinder that is you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom