Star Trek

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...was actually a very enjoyable movie. Quite awesome, in my opinion (both as a Star Trek fan and someone who doesn't mind a good action movie).

Discuss (remembering to keep spoilers hidden or omitted)!

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was curious about it. I've not well versed in the Trek universe, but I could tell by the previews that there was a lot more action in it than in previous movies. I'm wondering how many Trekkies will like it, though it sounds like Maj does.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure Trekkies (I don't count myself as one; the guy who showed up as a red-shirt when I went to see it last night would qualify, though :p) will find fault with the movie (and, more so, the characters) not being a carbon-copy of the original series, but the writers, in my opinion, did a decent job of covering for any inconsistencies and/or ret-cons.

It's a VERY approachable film for people who have little to no grounding in the Trek universe, too. Naturally, some of the humor relies on knowing the characters from the original series, but I don't think it'd harm the viewing experience if you didn't have that knowledge. I highly recommend it to any prospective viewer.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know enough of each of the characters since my mom used to watch a lot of Star Trek, so it's probably worth a shot for me.

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I consider myself a Trekkie, went into the Premiere, I was quite shocked that they actually left things as they were u know with "it" gone for good. The only thing that really bothered me was the soundtrack, my ears really missed the tone from Jerry Goldsmith that were as awesome as e.g. the soundtrack for "The First Contact", it just didn't sound star-trek enough if u know what I mean.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I consider myself a Trekkie, went into the Premiere, I was quite shocked that they actually left things as they were u know with "it" gone for good. The only thing that really bothered me was the soundtrack, my ears really missed the tone from Jerry Goldsmith that were as awesome as e.g. the soundtrack for "The First Contact", it just didn't sound star-trek enough if u know what I mean.
Yeah... with both Jerry Goldsmith and Majel Roddenberry having died, there are certain things (the soundtrack, and the typical "computer voice", respectively) that will always be missing from subsequent Star Trek films =\

On the other hand, the distinct absence of the "it" you mentioned (assuming we're thinking on the same lines, heh) was explained with a certain amount of finality, and the way they handled that makes it impossible for Trekkies to say "Well, that's not how it was in the original series!!!", which I liked :)

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
one thing i dont like is the name of the ship

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just came from seeing it , and I have to say that it was surprisingly good.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I just saw the movie trailer on the TV and it looks quite amazing. This is a movie I really will see. I haven't seen a Star Trek movie in quite a while.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw it on IMax, and it was seriously good. This is coming from a guy who's never seen a Star Trek episode or wanted to. I saw it purely because it had J.J. Abrams directing, and looked seriously badass.

It didn't disappoint. I'm not up on Trek's mythology, but if the Trekkies dare to complain about the film, I'd very much like to shove the wide end (that part that looks like a UFO) of their scale USS Enterprise model right up their asses. They got gold here, and they have no right to complain about anything.

Abrams proves himself to be blooming into a Sci-fi genre master. Sure bits of the "time travel" malarkey brought flashes of the latest season of Lost to the forefront of my mind as I watched on, but the writing was excellent, funny and it felt like such a full experience. I hadn't known how badly I was starving for a truly great and enjoyable movie until I saw this last night, because amidst the whole of the past several months all I'd glimpsed was mediocrity and above average popcorn poppers.

It was like living on a diet of bagel pizzas only to realize once more how satisfying a hearty meal can be. Not that Oscar films aren't excellent, they're just...well, boring. I mean, I liked Gran Torino, but I can't say I came home thinking fondly of the experience for a while after. Trek feels very much like the pleasant confirmation (I don't say "surprise", because the general predictions were that the film would rock) that Iron Man was last year. Oh, and once more a film worked on by ILM, those seamless geniuses who have restored my faith in modern day CGI after it was tattered by the utterly *beep* effects in Wolverine. Once more, Fox comes to wreck the day! Seriously, some company buy Fox out and be done with this *beep* they've lost their right to make films in my eyes.

Back to Trek-land now, I loved the casting. Now, I don't know my Shatners' and Nemoys' from a deep laser cut hole to the center of Vulcan, but when you've got Simon Pegg as Montgomery "beam-me-up" Scotty and freakin' Harold of Harold and Kumar as a segmented-sword wielding badass with a penchant for kicking Romulan grunts onto active laser heat-exhaust vents and then shoving another off the edge of a giant drill-thing a la "300" style (THIS! IS! VULCAN!!!) then already you've got something that will draw people to your film.

The thing I love about this film is how it was able to humanize these characters and give color to a series that seemed unnaturally sterile and boring. This film proves you can totally alter the original story in making a new film and still make something everyone will love. Fox aimed to do this with Dragonball, but their combined incompetence coupled with their apathetic attitude toward film-making of late (come on, even towards a successful film series like X-MEN for the love of God!) drove it into the ground. But anyway, a good detail about the film I loved are the Earth segments. It's obvious the world we know has changed wildly, yet we still have agricultural Iowa, and the Golden Gate Bridge stands proudly, unchanged from the way it looks, old roadsters still travel the highways on tires instead of hovering over things. It grounded it all into something that felt like a much more believable world.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM[/ame]

But seriously. Its great. I swear the only people who found this movie offensive are The people who wanted it to be perfect.(Note: Us and Dragonball: Evolution). Hell even some Trekkies liked it.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
^ megh, some people are never satisfied. Those who appear as star trek people (with cloths, etc) really have no life at all. Seriously, who would watch a movie and look like them? I would never in my opinion. >_>, some fan people can really over-do it. It's a movie for crying out loud. It's not like this is a DBZ movie.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha thats from The Onion. Its a joke news crew.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Haha thats from The Onion. Its a joke news crew.
Never heard of a `joke news´ before, we don´t have such here in the netherlands.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah. They only do this Online for Youtube. Its like MadTV and such.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Never heard of a `joke news´ before, we don´t have such here in the netherlands.
You clearly don't keep track of your programs then.
We had several attempts on different channels for those type of news shows.

Seeing as they do well in out countries.

The most recent one was on comedy central.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw the movie yesterday and I thought it was pretty good.

Though, I've always been more of a Star Trek: The Next Generation fan.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you're kidding, right?

i haven't lived in holland for about 5 or so years now. but i still remember the news being hilarious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom