Star Citizen

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Alrighty so for those of you who don't know, Star Citizen started as a kickstarter project about 2 years ago.
Since then they have managed to raise upwards of $80 million from donations.
If I'm not mistaken, this is a larger budget then any video game has ever had.

The project is being driven by the same guy who made the Wing Commander series.
It's essentially going to be a space sim/first person shooter with MMO elements.
At this point the game is still very early pre-alpha stage.
But they do have a couple of modules released for backers to check out.
These are the Hanger and Arena Commander modules.

Hanger is just a place for you to look at your starships, explore the interior and show off your collection.
The Arena Commander module let's you take your starship for a test drive.
You can race on the circuit or test your combat skills against other people in multiplayer.

They are planning to release an update to Arena Commander that will allow you to pilot some of the larger starships.
Also in Autumn they will be releasing the first chapter of the single player game called Squadron 42.

It's all looking very high quality using DirectX 11. Personally, I can't wait to see this game, it will be very cool.

Have some eye candy here:

[video=youtube;UPoDRok0zp4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPoDRok0zp4[/video]

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually the first part of Squadron 42 is kinda there already. Its in the form of a tutorial and shows off their scripting engine.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It seems fine, the only gripe I have with it is that it allows 3rd person view, even if it's restricted during combat or so.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
That's like the first game i'm really waiting for(allways wanted to do a space game like that aswell :D)

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Amazing how they raised 80 mil and set out for it to be the most graphically demanding high-end PC game but by the time they release it fully with everything they wanna implement it will already be oldish without using DX12 and lord knows what else comes out until then. I'm not buying into the hype at all. Plus where the **** do you get the nerve as a company to demand even more money after raising 80 mil through crowdfunding? Charging absurd amounts for what essentially is "DLC" with extra ships and shit.

PS: Lol at that game Grega posted. AFF looks familiar, I think I've heard of a similar concept before.... can't quite put my finger on what or where #sarcasm #innovationoutthewindow

Last edited:
Proud owner of Half-Life
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I think they've bitten off more than they can chew with this game. Hope I'm wrong.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
The good thing is...they don't rly have a Publisher in their neck forcing them to hold a deadline. So as long as they have money...they can make that into some kick ass space game.
And btw all that hype about dx12 and so on...the feature set is not that much different from dx11. Main difference is it's waaaay more CPU friendly wich then means you can use the available GPU and CPU power better, spend more on KI and physics because the driver needs less cpu time.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
The good thing is...they don't rly have a Publisher in their neck forcing them to hold a deadline.
The good thing for whom? That is exactly one of the concerns. They could draw out the development until their hearts content and continue raising money. After 3+ years of development on a single game I would think the content in it starts lacking because the people on the jobs get fatigued working on the same concept too. The DX12 issue was a mere example of what can happen when a game sets out to push boundaries but takes too long in doing so.

Last edited:
NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The good thing for whom? That is exactly one of the concerns.
For everyone who wants a finished and polished product. So far I like what I see, especially regarding the FPS module (I think they've given it a name already but I can't remember it) and the PU. Too bad I don't have a good enough rig to run SC. I also especially like their PR.

Last edited:
Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I decided to breakdown to get myself a cheap ship package with the arena commander module.
The game definitely looks awesome, still buggy as crap though.

I was concerned about the recommended specs for it:

OS (Operating System): Windows Vista (64 bit), Windows 7 (64 bit), or Windows 8 (64 bit)
Processor: Quad core CPU
RAM: 8GB Memory
GPU (Graphics Card): DirectX 11 graphics card with at least 1GB Video RAM

I have all that except the CPU, I am running a core 2 duo 2.67ghz processor.
Still, the game runs great with my rig. Will be interesting to check out the FPS module soon.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Raise from the dead, ye old thread.

So, just adding a bit too it. Star Citizen released a video about landing on a procedural generated planet! It's simply amazing.
[video=youtube;69ck049Bg_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ck049Bg_I[/video]
Just watch the first few minutes!

Been ****ing around with voice commands too. It's my first actual gaming video I made for a few friends, so it really does suck. (Something about the game volume being too loud)
[video=youtube;sJJHxkMoya4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJJHxkMoya4[/video]

But yeah, it'll give you a nice idea of how they advanced. It's still in an alpha version, but it's becoming more stable and bigger.

On a side note, if you are interested in the game, you should definitely sign up.
If you do, please use my referral code. I'll get a recruit and you'll get some extra ingame cash if you decide to buy the game.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-SDSZ-5CFJ

Last edited:
Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
It's been getting really good lately. They just launched Alpha 2.0 last month, you can explore the Crusader system and finally fly those Constellations and Retaliators.
I can't wait to see planets we can actually visit and land on, the procedural landings look really amazing already!
They are already working on making shops in Area 18 to purchase weapons, medical supplies, ships and parts, and a clothing store.
Now is a very exciting time to check out this project, I believe this year we will see some very significant updates.

[video=youtube;xf4zCCjBwOA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf4zCCjBwOA[/video]

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Procedural landings? Pretty sure the landing zones are custom, while the rest of the planet is generated procedurally.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those are nice, I really like the Constellation too. I've got my eyes on the vanguard and redeemer now, gonna use the Gladius as a jumping board to one of them. Really like the look of the saber too, but I like the super hornet more. seeing as the came company makes the Vanguard they are kinda similar. Waiting for both of them to be in game to see which I like more.

So far my choice goes out to the Vanguard because I think it's better suited for exploration than the redeemer.

Redeemer

Vanguard

Owh and I definitely want either a Scythe or Glaive. But I'll probably get one of those in game.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm comfortable with my Avenger but now that I've spent some time with the social module I can imagine myself spending most of my time hanging out on planets rather than flying around. If there's anything to do on those planets, that is.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The avenger is a great ship. Last weekend a buddy and me played around with it. Loved it.

I couldn't resist and got an upgrade
[video=youtube;ytYbRZOjiRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytYbRZOjiRk[/video]

One of those two will be upgraded to one of the ships listed above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom