Star almost as old as the Universe

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070510_oldest_star.html said:
Employing techniques similar to those used to date archeological remains here on Earth, scientists have learned that a metal-poor star in our Milky Way called HE 1523 is 13.2 billion years old-just slightly younger than 13.7 billion year age of the universe. Our solar system is estimated to be only about 4.6 billion years old.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070510_oldest_star.html

According to the article, while
HE 1523 is certainly old, it isn't the oldest.

Best answers
space and deep water realy interests me. this is some realy interesting iformation.

Best answers
I'm wondering...How do they know how old it is? How can they possibly know something like that?

Best answers
Space is beautiful. Space is endless.

wtf. Everything has an end.
Except the reign of the nix.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm wondering...How do they know how old it is? How can they possibly know something like that?
Maybe they checked it's birth certificate...

or judging by how large it is and by the colour, I guess they can only estimate... I find space and stars so interesting... If only Outlaw Star were real...

P.S Long live Nixon! (I refuse to admit his death, along with Elvis's, Bob Marley's, Syd Barrett and Disco!)

Best answers
P.S Long live Nixon! (I refuse to admit his death, along with Elvis's, Bob Marley's, Syd Barrett and Disco!)
I was talking about Zeonix. O_0 besides, Elvis aint dead. He lives in Burger King.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was talking about Zeonix. O_0 besides, Elvis aint dead. He lives in Burger King.
So was I, you can never be sure which President he is... I swear Elvis prefered KFP (Kentucky Fried Possum) :)

Any idea what the thing's fusing? Being old it must be pretty low on hydrogen and helium after all these years... It would have to be quite small to last that long. Big stars only manage a few million years until becoming the world's largest fireworks.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"If scientists know an element's half life and the amount of the original sample, they can estimate an object's age based on how much of the element is left. Uranium and thorium have half-lives of 4.7 billion years and 14 billion years, respectively."

Ta-dah.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
son of a *****, i coulda swore i already posted that...

anyway yeah, by checking the half-life of the element (meaning they observe how much of the element has faded from radioactive to its metallic form which is different for each radiactive element) you can see how long the element has been around

example of how they do this:
uranium-238 has a halflife of about 4 billion years, by checking the difference in elements (it decays into plutonium) they can calculate the ratio and tell the time. simply put if it was half plutonium and half uranium it would be 2 billion years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium-238

i love science...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know there'll be some people here thinking "Wait, half life? ..Half-Life? Err.. Wow."

Best answers
Interesting, I didn't think it possible to find out the age of things like the Universe, how do they figure out the age of the entire Universe anyways?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom