Stable ATi Drivers + Upgrade question >.>

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My current card is crashing like a plane with a ****ty pilot. I've ruled out most reasons for this occuring, and its because of:
A: Crap card make.
B: Drivers (possibly).

I'm using the latest drivers btw. From the official ATi site.
Fixing my card is ruled out, as its over its warranty.
So my question is, what is the most stable driver version, that can handle some new games (Oblivion).

----

Also, for my next upgrade, I'm thinking of upgrading one of two things, but not both.

RAM (Currently have DDR2-533 512mb)
GPU (Currently have ATI x600 PRO 256mb)

I'm leaning towards RAM, as I run both 3dsmax and Photoshop together on a daily basis.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If your'e wanting to paly games then get a better gfx card if you can currently and see yourself getting through with photoshop & 3dsmax with that much memory or get both if possible. For a new gfx card I would get Geforce 7600gt. 7600gt in terms of performance is about on par with a 6800ultra or a tad faster, and th good thing about it is it's build of the exisiting Geforce 6600gt PCB, meaning there will be no need to run a molex to the card like you do with most of today's new cards (X1800GTO is ATI's midrange product, however it is built off the X1800XL/XT PCB meaning it will require a molex running to it from th psu).

As far as drivers go, what problems are you getting? Do you notice corrupted textures or artifacts before the game crashes? Did you remove the old drivers before installing the new ones?. Uninstall all ATI drivers that you can find on your system and try a fresh install of the drivers. If that doesn't help then i'm afraid your card could be dying. Does your pc area get dusty at all? (The fans in your case and on your heatsinks could be clogged up with dust and if they are should be cleaned as dust/dirt can affect the airflow in your case after it starts building up).

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
you totally need 2gb of ram >.>

actually 1gb is usually enough (unless you leave firefox running for 3 days like i did once), you can probly get away with disabling swapfile then which will do your hdd a world of good

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nice little write-up, Overlord. Another stick of the same memory will do wonders for you.

Oh, and Codeman, keep your inside jokes elsewhere, thanks ;).
you totally need 2gb of ram >.>

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whats wrong with my GPU?

Well, you can say that it randomly "crashes" (even when not under stress). Meaning, the reso gets set to 640x480, Colors to 16-bit, and everything lags as if no drivers were installed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Disable "VPU Recover" in the drivers.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Done. Will test it out now. Thanks ;D

EDIT: Played Oblivion and after 5 mins, the game crashed, as well as the GPU. D:

Best answers
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

These are much more stable ATI drivers and are also tweaked to give better performance on your card.

Here's an easy way to install them

Download driver cleaner pro

uninstall old ATI drivers, reboot

use driver cleaner pro, select the ATI setting (just ATI, nothing else) and click clean, then reboot again when its done

Install omega drivers :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was using Omega Drivers when I was playing Oblivion. Installed them last night to be exact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom