SSD's, your thoughts?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so before i built my new machine we were planning to wait with buying it due to technology releases, and were going to just put the cost into the mortgage we're getting in the next couple of months or so (we've planned a fair chunk of "fun money" to spend).

but because my old pc went !asplode! i had to get a new one earlier than anticipated, and meant i couldn't get some of the shinier pretties i wanted for it.

so i'm going to be getting an SSD. in particular, one of these:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120g...ll-height-65k-iops-read-540mb-s-write-490mb-s

anyone got any thoughts on it, if i should go for a different brand/model/tech?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm still holding off on SSD until the price drops more. Hard to justify it despite the fact that it's ZOMG fast.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSD';s are expensive, and don't give alot of space. They have a high failure rate, it's estimated that 70% of SSD's made today will last no longer than two years due to the new tech.(Go look at some Tech forums, lots of them are dying barely 1 year past purchase)

That said; they offer 0.01ms response time, and even the low end models can do 200-250MB/s, compared to top end Mechanical HDD's, doing 130-170.(Unless you Raid-0 them)

It's really up to you. I'm waiting until they're more stable, more experience building them, and prices go down.

They make no sound, which is nice, boot time will be cut in half, and load times in games are way faster, games like Crysis or ArmA2 benefit from SSD's massively, especially with pop in textures.

The thing is, SSD's are current degrade performance over time at a higher rate than Mechanical HDDs. Intel says 5GB a day would last 10 years, but if you move around massive amounts of data, it will not last very long, though there are firmware updates and a new feature called "TRIM" to try to zero the drive every so often to negate such effects.

I'd say...hold odd. Most of my tech friends went ahead and got one, saying they don't really care as they never keep a HDD for more than 1 year or so...me? I've had one since 2001, another since 2008, and one since 2010. I don't replace often, if I don't have to.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I assume you are going to Hybrid it? If so, then go for it, the warranty will probably cover any premature failings that would occur. If the SSD will be you sole drive, then i highly recommend not to take the risk, its not worth it.

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm using SSDs for my System for quite some time now and they are awesome, I went for a Corsair Force back then and I experienced no downside except for the price obviously.

Best answers
I'm hoping that wehn sandforce release their new SF2000 controller the year that drivers based on the older SF1200/1500 controllers get a heck of a lot cheaper. ATM I'm tempted towards purchasing a 120GB Patriot SSD for $199 AUD, wonder if it can get any cheaper lol...

Looks like I'll be waiting a while, my RAID 0 array can tie me over for a bit longer I suppose :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom