sporadic lag issue

Best answers
Hey yea i'm gonna need some help with this one. I have a issue with Empire Earth 2, where after i play for a while I start to get sporadic lag every 2 seconds or so. Its getting really annoying and its bout time i fixed it.

Before you tell me to update my drivers and the game and stuff like that... yea i already did it. Any ideas?

Sound Artist
Best answers
-Possible flaw with the game itself, perhaps memory leaking? Check the game's support forums for a solution.

-PC becoming overheated, monitor temperature levels.

-Possible issue with your RAM, I suggest running a memory checker like Memtest.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What are your specs? Can't help much without that info.

Without your specs, my guess would be the same as FreeDoM's. It's probably a memory leak. But just to be sure, does the game get progressively worse the longer you play, or does it all of a sudden start lagging out of nowhere after a certain amount of time?

Best answers
My bad... should've thought about system specs =P

Processor: Pentium 4 w/HT, 3.2 ghz
Ram: 896 mb PC2700
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon X300 SE (yes i know it sucks, im gettin a new one)

I think thats all you need to know.

And yea, it starts lagging out of nowhere and progressively gets a little bit worse as it goes.

Sound Artist
Best answers
I guess the real question is, do you get the same issue with extended play on other games or is it just Empire Earth?

Best answers
I guess the real question is, do you get the same issue with extended play on other games or is it just Empire Earth?
Yea it only happens with Empire Earth 2. Which is why im wondering why its doing this only in EE2.

And what is a memory leak? Ive heard of it before, but never knew what it was or how to fix it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea it only happens with Empire Earth 2. Which is why im wondering why its doing this only in EE2.

And what is a memory leak? Ive heard of it before, but never knew what it was or how to fix it.
A memory leak is what you get when you hire a bronze medal special olympian onto your programming team.

Memory leaks are caused by a program's inability to free up memory (refer to my C++ tutorial to understand what a variable is. Speaking of which, I need to finish that). Most variables self terminate at the end of a function, but one (the new variable) requires a delete[] command to terminate. When a programmer fails to delete[] the variable at the end of it's use, you get a memory leak, because that variable is created over and over and over again but never freed up.

Say for example you're trying to make a weapon fire. You would write a function for WeaponFiringAssaultRifle, for example. In this function, you would create all of the data placeholders (variables) you need, and then proceed to work with them. But at the end of the function, you forget to delete[] them. Now you go ingame to test your work, and every time you fire the weapon, you're sapping precious memory.

That's just one example. There are countless more, and each sap memory at different paces due to their uses.

[/nerd]

Best answers
A memory leak is what you get when you hire a bronze medal special olympian onto your programming team.

Memory leaks are caused by a program's inability to free up memory (refer to my C++ tutorial to understand what a variable is. Speaking of which, I need to finish that). Most variables self terminate at the end of a function, but one (the new variable) requires a delete[] command to terminate. When a programmer fails to delete[] the variable at the end of it's use, you get a memory leak, because that variable is created over and over and over again but never freed up.

Say for example you're trying to make a weapon fire. You would write a function for WeaponFiringAssaultRifle, for example. In this function, you would create all of the data placeholders (variables) you need, and then proceed to work with them. But at the end of the function, you forget to delete[] them. Now you go ingame to test your work, and every time you fire the weapon, you're sapping precious memory.

That's just one example. There are countless more, and each sap memory at different paces due to their uses.

[/nerd]
Alright, makes sense... Yea, as for this issue. I decided to take apart my computer and completely redo the whole ventilation system. I made a custom air duct connecting my cpu heatsink/fan to the exhaust fans and had two more fans blow directly on my video card. It seemed to do something, because i havn't had this problem when i was playing EE2 today. Although... it could just be because i was playing on an Island map.

I'll test it tomorrow on a level where it does it alot (Mediterranean or plains type map) and see if it still does it. Once i do that, i'll report back.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Poor ventilation will do it as well. But if your system is old (as I'm guessing it is by your specs), you might want to hit it with a can of air because it's probably covered by a blanket of dust. Get that dust off of there and you should notice a small (but still nice) performance increase and cooler temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom