[Spoiler up to 96] Possible Naruto Oversight?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was re-watching the series with a friend, and I noticed this.. disparity. After the Third Hokage dies with the grasscutter sword in his back.. Enma pulls it out and disappears/dispells back to his realm. He takes the sword with him.

But later in 95-96, Orochimaru pulls out the sword again and stabs Tsunade several times. Is this a new sword? Maybe the author "forgot" that Enma took it with him? Maybe he can "will it back" into existence?

What are your thoughts? Think it's a plothole/oversight?

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Possibly an oversight. However, it might also be that Orochimaru has the ability to summon the sword whenever he wishes.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am of the opinion that these summoned creatures (including Enma and the Grass Cutter) are called from a place where they reside and go back to that place when the summoning ends. I am fairly sure that Enma would have simply "dispelled the summon" in a fasion, but then this is Japanese television. Nothing need be explained once it happens.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The tsurugi wasn't a summoned creature.. He doesn't do any seals nor offer any blood for the sacrifice. =\ Maybe he summoned it in another way.. But they didn't explain that.

Since the summoned creatures speak of the real world as the "outer" world and they refer to going back home.. I'd assume they live in another dimension or a secluded part of Earth. I don't think the sword was one of those, though. @_@

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since Orochimaru is the character who wants to break all the rules, I guess a little plot inconsistancy fits right in with him. :]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Perhaps he has a second sword? Realistically it probably is a plothole, a small one, but one nonetheless.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally, I think it's stupid that he can do so many things without the use of his arms.

He melts into the floor after the sannin fight, just like he did in the forest in the exam. But he had no ability to use techniques.. Also, he was able to stretch out his neck horribly to bite Jiraiya, pull the sword out and fight with it.. Plus, later, he switched bodies with that sound ninja! Are you telling me that "forbidden" jutsu which took him years to research requires no hand seals? Or.. that switching bodies magically heals your "soul" which was(still is) sealed?)

A lot of things don't make sense. I'm hoping they explain, but.. =\

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Personally, I think it's stupid that he can do so many things without the use of his arms.
This was the conception they hoped you have with Orochimaru. He is a legandary ninja, who can defy all rational assumptions.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a difference between being an incredible ninja, and "contradictory plot," I guess is the best way to say it. =\

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
that switching bodies magically heals your "soul" which was(still is) sealed?)
I agree with that one completley, how does switching a body heal your soul? It's especially annoying, becuase this just makes Sarutobi's sacrifice vain. I guess you could assume that Orochimaru takes the soul of his victim and uses it for himself, but that still doesn't change the fact that the soul of his original arms are in the belly of the devil enduring hellishly painful torment. Personally, I think he should at least be in constant agonizing pain, but that's just me. You can come up with some sort of explanation for the rest of those things, but I don't think there's a legit explanation possible for the healing of his soul.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
There's a difference between being an incredible ninja, and "contradictory plot," I guess is the best way to say it. =\
Also, when it came to arm techniques, if you don't remember, Kabuto was doing some of them for Orochimaru.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Synth said:
Also, when it came to arm techniques, if you don't remember, Kabuto was doing some of them for Orochimaru.
I took that into account. For the kuchiyose techniques, Kabuto put his blood on Orochimaru's arm and summoned Mando and the 'little' snakes by doing that. But not the neck stretching/sword fighting. =\

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just a note on the soul damage thing. I saw nothing that said the new persons soul was ejected, and I got the distinct impression from things that Orochimaru said that it was more of a mind transfer than a soul transfer. IF that is the case, then Orochimaru could survive any such soul damage technique by hopping bodies, and hijacking them mind, body and soul. Remember that Oro had to carry out the new bodies last wishes, it seemed that bit was important. Other times he has mentioned that he does such stealing and it makes that person part of him wholly. I agree that such powerful techniques should be things that require seals, but I submit:

Rasengan
Sharingan (all forms of it, even the badass Itachi ones)
Kibito's healing techniques (all)
5th Hokage's healing techniques

It seems that not all powerful techniques need such things as long as massive amounts of chakra can be properly called forth and controlled. (Which if I remember right was a function of the hand seals.)

I'm not so sure that Orochimaru could survive any powerful hits with such a long sword as the grass cutter in his bowel, nevermind bend over. That's why I think it's a unique summon. Perhaps the lack of blood sacrifice can be explained by the swords non-living state.

If you want a real stumper, try and explain the Sword of Raiden, that can cut through anything but pre-teens and clothing.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry to "Japanese-it-up," but if I didn't, you could just say "Well, that was the subs. Not necessarily so.." etc.

"Kono fushi no jutsu wa mizukara no seishin wo kono chi ni heibon tomeru hou.."

"This eternal life technique is to stop(bind) one's own spirit/soul to this world"
(12:00, Ep 72)

I wouldn't think that switching your damaged/incomplete soul into a new body would just magically heal your soul. You'd have a new body. Maybe the hands of the new body are "okay" because the original soul is still inside, "powering" the hands? =\

But if that was the case.. Orochimaru wasn't in his own body when he fought the Third. So does that mean both Orochimaru's and the soul of his then-current "little girl" body were BOTH sealed into the Third? Bah. -_-

As for the seals.. Well, Kibito did do handseals in ep 93 in order to activate his "cutting" technique, where he severed arteries. But he does heal Hinata in the exam without seals(as Tsunade does numerous times). I always assumed that a shinobi could emit chakra whenever they wanted, but in order to turn it into "Elemental-type" chakra, for say.. Goukakyuu, the Tiger seal. Rasengan is just releasing pure chakra in a current. Maybe healing is just directly pouring your own energy into someone? As for the "Sharingan," I don't think that the bloodline abilities (well, all of them, anyway--Byakugan is shown several times with hand-seals, other times they don't show them..), but like Kimimaro's, he could just grow them at will. I think the Sharingan is the same. Too bad I can't ask the author @_@

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom