Special Meter

Force Pit Member
Best answers
CONCEPT

I got this idea from the "Marvel vs Capcom" series, or other fighting games that use the same concept. Every character will have a special meter, just like the ki and powerlevel meters. As you fight, this meter will build up over time, and when it is full, you will be allowed to pull of a special. After the special is performed, the meter will reset back to 0, and the player will have to build it back up again.

HOW IT WILL WORK

Every character will have their own special move, and depending on the special, some character's special meters will build up faster then others ( I got this idea from the "advance wars" series on the game boy). This will give each character unique advantages, and lets players turn the tides on a battle. I also think it would be a good idea that specials dont drain from ki/stamina because the move can only be performed once.

Like mentioned before, each character will have their own special. Here are the specials I thought of for the characters in the game. (These specials can be rearranged between characters if necessary.)

CHARACTER SPECIALS

1) Goku will have an instant transmission move. Basically this will work like a super teleport, and can be followed up with a strong basic melee attack.

For the animation, Goku will bring up his hand like the show, and will then perform the move.

Since this move is a pretty basic one, Goku's special meter will build up faster then other characters.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
..continued

2) Frieza will have a lazer attack special.

Heres my idea on how it will work. This will be a short range move, and if the first lazer connects with the enemy, he will become immobile, and an animation will take place showing frieza firing the rest of his lazers into him.

This move will take a bit longer to build up then other chracters.

3) Vegeta. In my opinion, vegetas ki blasts should be changed to just like the other characters in the game, and his renzoku move (where he fires multiple ki blasts) will become his special.

Vegeta will fire many straight moving ki blasts into the enemy (no ki blob).

4) Buu. For this special, I thought it would be a good idea to give Buu extra defense and reduced damage from basic melee hits for a period of time.

This special can build up faster like Goku's as well.

5) Piccolo can get a multi-form technique for his special. He will split into 2 or 3 forms, and they will work like buddies in 1.3. This will last for a period of time, and then the buddies will disappear.

This special will take a bit longer then other characters to build up.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
..continued again

6) Cell's special will be regeneration. When cell activates this move, if he dies during a certain period of time by any type of energy attack (non melee), he will explode into pieces, and regenerate himself without dying. After he gets put back together, his health will be about 25 to 33 %.

This stays true to the show because after he regenerates, he becomes a weaker version of himself, and for balance in the game.

7) Ginyu. I know Ginyu will be in 1.3. If the team plans on using his body transfer move, it can used as his special.

Gohan,Krillen,Trunks,Android 18. I had a hard time deciding specials for these characters. You guys can feel free discussing special moves that the rest of these characters can have.

I did think of one extra move, and can be applied to any one of them.

In these 2 pics, you can see Goku perform a surprise energy beam against cell. Heres how the move could work.

This attack will be instant. The character will perform an energy attack (generic ball), and when it connects with the enemy, the ball will not explode. Instead, it will push the enemy away like as if he was blocking an attack, and he will slowly take hp damage. After a couple seconds, the generic ball will disappear and stop pushing the enemy away.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Asorted Already Suggested Ideas
This is just a general bullet list of ideas that have been suggested tons and tons of times before.

* More transformations (ssj2, kid buu, perfect cell, ect)
* Fusion
* More characters (Dabura, tien, yamcha, android 18, cooler, ect)
* Generic new attacks (Super kamehameha, Self Destruction, Absorbing, ect)
* Destructable maps
* Battle damage
* Limb damage
* Limb regeneration (cell, piccolo, buu, ect)
* Hiding powerlevel
* Supressing powerlevel
* Invulnerable when transforming
* Meteo/Desperation attacks
source!! http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=3835

a lot of us made threads for these, including me

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I was trying to add some strategy to the fighting system, and feel this is a good way of doing it. Many games have done this type of system, and it works really well.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This isn't *quite* the same as a meteo sy stem, it's closer to what I was intending for my stamina system. I like the idea of giving everybody a special attack they build up to, and I'm playing around with the idea trying to make it work. If I had any issues it would be that the abilities are too random. One character having damage reduction vs another having an instant attack and one exploding. I'm just not sure how you'd balance it out, or make the attacks not frustrating to players you just randomly hit with an immobilizing super attack.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Character special meters build up faster or slower, depending on the type of move that it is. Goku's for example, will build up faster, letting him use it more often. Different kinds of specials also gives each character a unique fighting style.

nge

Best answers
Personally, I feel pre-set animations are a big no-no. There should never be a "damage happens because I hit my special key" type situation.

That said, I'm not against the idea of specials to add variety. Buu's damage reduction, for instance, sounds like a great idea (assuming Buu gets balanced) for a special. Ginyu's body change, so long as it doesn't auto hit and must be aimed, that's another winner.

Frieza's all hitting if one hits deal seems like a bad idea- perhaps a stamina AND hp drain for each laser that hits, for a bonus. Goku's instant transmission seems unavoidable as well. Perhaps, if specials were incorperated, his tele/beam could be worked into for his special as to balace what is easily the most spamable combination in the game.

Kamikazie attacks, even ones that don't kill you, are not fun for anyone on the recieveing end. Feels too "automatic." For cell, perhaps if your special were full- it's simply a regeneration/temporary PL increase until death. This would be limited as to a maximum of one per life, and would probably require he "revive" with 1/3 total hp.

Vegeta- once again, so long as it's not an auto hit, go for it. Keeping/removing the blob would probably be an issue to debate.

Trunks. I hate to sound unorigional, but your best bet is to probably work something with the sword in.

The andriods- Once again. I hate to sound unorigional, but work something in with their "unlimited" energy. (stamina?) Perhaps make it so their special makes them recover ki/stamina at a somewhat accellerated rate for a limited period of time.

Gohan- As a technique opposite to Buu's damage reduction, perhaps his "rage" could be activated. This would make his attacks stronger than his PL suggests so long as he is in the state of rage, perhaps?

Krillin. I honestly can't think of anything. Perhaps leaving an underpowered charecter underpowered for the sake of using an underpowered charecter is best- some sort of crazy taunt, because your "special meter" or whatever is full playing as the slowest, weakest charecter?

He's open to suggestions.

Anyways, all that stuff would be unimportant should "specials" fail to make it into 1.3. These listed changes, however, would seem to keep things varied and balanced. I can't say that with 100% confidence, but I feel that those would be your best bets as to adding special things without overpowering anyone (Krillin notwithstanding.)

Take this post with a grain of salt, however. I've been awake 30 hours- this seems like a good fix now, but I might be missing something very obvious.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
nge, overall I like alot of your ideas on how certain moves can be fixed in my suggestions.

Cell's special is not a kamikaze attack however, his move takes place *if* he is very weak and a beam happens to kill him. The way I came up with his regeneration ability is the closest thing I could think of how it can be related to the show and still be balanced.

Your frieza concept is creative as well.

I recommended Vegeta's special having no ki blob because he will be firing many ki blasts, and it might overpower it.

I was trying to give Goku a new move because most characters already have their own advantage, like gokus -> beam/tele, trunk's-> sword gib, gohan and trunks -> early trans, krillen's speed after trans, etc. If Goku's move is that spammable, then it should have a slightly higher ki cost.

I disagree with having krillen being underpowered. Characters that are underpowered and weaker when compared to others is always a bad thing, and you see very little use out of him. If you want to taunt somebody, it can be done in your playing style.

If krillen is still seen as underpowered, perhaps he can be given a really good special move. It could be like the one I mentioned at the very end of my post with goku's pictures, and his meter can build up faster then other character's specials.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tonythetiger123 said:
If krillen is still seen as underpowered, perhaps he can be given a really good special move. It could be like the one I mentioned at the very end of my post with goku's pictures, and his meter can build up faster then other character's specials.
Yopu missed a fact there. Its true that Krillin starts off slow and weak. But he has his advantages.

1.) Scatering beam - homing + server killer
2.) The fastest character after transformation.
3.) the second biggest HP pool after transformation

But it takes a pro to be good with Krillin.

And there are not a lot of people willing to learn his playstile.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Of course, with Krillin's special he could just have his split Destructo Disc that he used on Frieza.

Ummmm....stop me if I'm wrong but didn't Cell become MORE powerful after he regenerated? So making him weaker wouldn't be counted as "being true to the show" but it would be better as it is more balanced.

Best answers
GRRRRR I POSTED THIS IDEA BEFOFRE >.>

here is a possibility for krillins special.... Crilllin could have the ability to generate mini homing discs that do 50% dmg?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Cap J said:
Ummmm....stop me if I'm wrong but didn't Cell become MORE powerful after he regenerated? So making him weaker wouldn't be counted as "being true to the show" but it would be better as it is more balanced.
I may have mixed it up with something else lol, I thought I remembered cell getting weaker from something like that.

Yea, Krillen may be really fast after transformation, but it takes the longest out of any character to get there. Thats a pretty big disadvantage. And krillens scatter beam is not going to help you much in those one on one situations.

In my opinion I think it would be a better idea to change krillens scatter and multi discs (grega's link) to be a part of his regular arsenal, rather then his special, and to give him a new special instead. His disc right now isn't that great, and could use the upgrade.

Best answers
Ok listen up... I gave this some serious thought....

I think their would really be NO point in having specials If they cant be used to hit the elite players out their because they would simply evade it..

also i believe the elites wouldn't use them because STopping and aiming is a BIG NONO in combat for us elites ^^

and if you had to aim the special .... Good luck with that 1..

There should be 2 kinds of specials.... a special attack.. and a special ability...

In my opinion.. This is how a ****special attack ****should work..

Ok once the special meter is full... You have the "special attack button" that you can press to activate the special.

Once you press it, The special meter begins to drain.. IT takes 5 seconds for the meter to completely drain..

So once you press the "Special attack button" you have 5 seconds to Hit your opponent with basic melee.

After the basic melee Your Special Attack Auto-maticly takes place.. and does serious damage.

Why do it this way?

Well it would seriously encourage basic melee and it would flow with the game.. instead of stopping and trying to aim a special attack at someone who could tele away from it..

The special ability should just give certain players special abilities that last for a specific time... Like Tony's idea about buu being able to withstand dmg

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Stop with this "elite" bs, Jinx -_-. We just had more spare time than other players o.0.

Any who, I'm all for special attacks.

Best answers
OMG !!! LOL Yay!!!! Ive DONE IT ! ^^ ZEO LIKED MY IDEA MUAHAHAHAHA

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Alot of these specials are not stopping and aiming, like cells regeneration, nge's android idea, piccolo's multiform, goku's instant transmission, Buu's defense...

If your thinking of vegeta's special, a smart way to use it would be knocking your opponent into the ground, then perform it.

For this idea, it works if the androids, buu, and others .. have a special that rely on a time limit. When the special is activated, you can see your special meter drain away until it hits 0. That way you can see how much time you have left. This concept does not apply to goku's instant transmission, ginyu's body transfer, etc.

Best answers
tonythetiger123 said:
alot of these specials are not stopping and aiming, like cells regeneration, nge's android idea, piccolo's multiform, goku's instant transmission...

If your thinking of vegeta's special, a smart way to use it would be knocking your opponent into the ground, then perform it.

If the androids and buu have a special that relies on a time limit, then you can see your special meter drain away until it hits 0. That way you can see how much time you have left. This concept does not apply to goku's instant transmission, ginyu's body transfer, etc.

Yea i see whatcha i mean .. i didnt mean to attack ur idea if i did x.x

If you read the post i edited it an said that there should be 2 kinds of specials....

Special Attacks.. and special Abilities..

the abilities are the attacks that give players abilities for a specific time...

Special attacks(explained in the post above)

also i think each player should have A special ability and a special attack

OH AND if the special meter was red..ontop of the special meter there should be blue bar of the same size to represent the "ability specials". Why 2 bars? becuase they would fill up at different rates
a

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom