Speaker Problem - random frequent "Popping"

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The title says it all really.

My speakers have recently started popping, very frequently but still randomly, whenever I turn them on.
This occurs even if I play no music, or do anything.

I've reset the cabling, and they still do it, and i've also noted that it seems to be my front ones only (left, center and right) and not my rear ones.

any ideas as to what's going on?

Best answers
I got the same thing going on.. But I'm pretty sure it's the computer hardware, since it also happens when I plug my headset in..
It even happens when no sound is playing from my computer.. Just a random "porp"-sound and some sligth cracking..
Also, when generating sound (be it music or gamesounds or something else) and my computer needs to do some heavy calculating, the sound starts to distort real bad.. This never happend before in the 5-6 years I have this old PC..

I'm using onboard sound °_<

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds to me like ethier your'e sound hardware is dying or that the cables aren't correctly plugged in (if you have a tangled mess of cables behind your pc something could be pulling them out). try a different set of speakers &/or Get ahold of a sound card and see if the same thing happens with it. If it is then it's your speakers that are causing the problems.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
General Overlord said:
Sounds to me li8ke ethier your'e sound hardware is dying or that the cables aren't correctly plugged in (if you have a tangled mess of cables behind your pc something could be pulling them out). try a different set of speakers &/or Get ahold of a sound card and see if the same thing happens with it. If it is then it's your speakers that are causing the problems.
Do you know what it takes to kill a DSP? My original Soundblaster compatable from my 386 still works.

If it's onboad, then it's nothing more than signal noise, you need to reduce the main sound signal and boost the speakers to kill the noise. Does this kill your top end gain? Yes, but you will loose the signal noise. If you have an add in card, then you have issues with the speaker wires themselves. Either way, the solution is the same, lower the signal strength wherever the noise is.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My speakers pop when lights and stuff that are on the same circuit get turned on and off. Although, my speakers are car speakers wired to an amp, which is then connected to my computer, so it's not quite normal.

But ya, you could try hitting lights on and off and see if thats what is causing the popping.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
do you happen to keep a cel phone near your pc?

my speakers pop like that if my phone is within 5 feet of my desk =\

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aye, i do have a mobile, but this is different, trust me =P

I'm using an add-in card (soundblaster audigy zs 2).

It's stopped this morning when I turned them on, so i'll update if they start again.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah my best guess would be that either its cabled incorrectly, you're somehow getting static build up somewhere in the line, or your speakers are screwed. I have an onboard and I used to have some minor popping probs but they eventually just kinda mysteriously vanished. Usually it's caused by a signal that just overloads my speaker's ability to output it IE the gain or something coming out of the card is too much for the speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom