Space the Never-Ending frontier...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Was just browsing around on teh intarweb! And found some pretty cool photo's made in space. Just shows how small we as a planet are, and that even if we ever manage to create some kind of ship that allows us to fly trough space, we will NEVER completely explore it:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0606/m31-irac_f.jpg
A star system with over a trillion stars, WARNING, this image is a friggin' 4,5mb large.

Here is another image (1,2 mb large) of when Hubble kept pointing at one place for 4 months (the place was about 1/100th the size of our moon) and it came up with this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field_Black_point_edit.jpg

That picture alone has at least 10,000 different Milky Ways in it.
Imagine, how large is the never ending universe? Will we ever find other life?

So do you guys have any other cool images to show?

(Btw, try to keep this thread a bit clean, and not closed like a couple of other threads.)

Best answers
The size of our universe is quite literally beyond our comprehension. Even the size of some known planets, are far greater than our solar system alone.

I took an astronomy class this year at my college because I always found the heavens quite fascinating. What else is there to say except... "wow... space.. man... like.. wow..."

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't even comprehend the size of Earth, let alone space. It takes light 1 second to travel around the Earth 7 times, and yet it takes it thousands of lightyears to get to some of the stars we see. And then we see an exploding sun millions of years after it happened...it's insane. Takes light form the sun 8 minutes(thanks pain) to reach us. It's quite amazing.

I love space.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And yet the ignorant, the foolish, believe that we are alone in such vastness. The greatest of such an expanse. The height of arrogance. And some of these people preach humility.. and conitnue to believe that. True humility states that we are but infinitely tiny specs. We live and die utterly unknown to the rest of existance.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
ea, it's selfish to believe we're alone.

If you want a mind****, try to comprehend wormholes and quantum physics, with black holes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chris` said:
Takes light form the sun 8 minutes to reach us. It's quite amazing.
Fixed.
Arthos said:
And yet the ignorant, the foolish, believe that we are alone in such vastness. The greatest of such an expanse. The height of arrogance. And some of these people preach humility.. and conitnue to believe that. True humility states that we are but infinitely tiny specs. We live and die utterly unknown to the rest of existance.
Deep man....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
space has always interested mankind, its really interesting, i wonder what is after the universe ends?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LegendarY said:
space has always interested mankind, its really interesting, i wonder what is after the universe ends?
I wonder too, is it just blacknessm or even...does it ever end? But how could something be infinite in size, just the thought of it makes me want to have a space ship and explore it...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually in my sci fi novel that is a central point of the war that occurs. One group has settled in systems and have discovered a strange phenomenon that seems to be the edge of the universe, sort of.

Though I've since scaled it down some to be an adjacent galaxy (the edge of the universe is just too massive to seem feasible), originally it was the edge of the universe.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but anyways, i dont know why, but i always get goosebumbs of thinking that there are others out ther :/

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think he was. It was pretty deep.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool Pictures.

It would be neat as hell to have a closer view, from inside the center looking out.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LegendarY said:
Probably something that is beyond comprehension. This reminds me what Dr. Breen was saying in Half-Life 2:

"..carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect... Impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary!"
Indeed Dr. Breen... Indeed...

ea, it's selfish to believe we're alone.

If you want a mind****, try to comprehend wormholes and quantum physics, with black holes.
We could be alone, there's nothing that states that there has to be life outside of Earth, the only thing is that it's just highly possible that there is life out there.

Black Holes - http://www.duke.edu/~jma24/SPS/Black Hole Edit.jpg

Also I came across this on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
IMO, I think theres a certain loophole at the 'end' as in:

A|______________________|B

Point A and Point be is the universe. Once you reach past point B, theres a kind of portal that will bring you directly back to point A, therefore it has an infinite space.

So if you send a shuttle past point B and it comes through point A, we will see it arriving years, years, and more years later off the other sidfe of earth.

but thats my theory :3

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kaination said:
IMO, I think theres a certain loophole at the 'end' as in:

A|______________________|B

Point A and Point be is the universe. Once you reach past point B, theres a kind of portal that will bring you directly back to point A, therefore it has an infinite space.

So if you send a shuttle past point B and it comes through point A, we will see it arriving years, years, and more years later off the other sidfe of earth.

but thats my theory :3
The universe does not side scroll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom