Source to Support Multi-Threading

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bit-Tech has an interesting article about an upcoming major upgrade to the Source engine. The Source engine was developed with modularity in mind so that new technologies can be implemented rather easily. The next big upgrade will take advantage of multi-core processors, a rather new advancement in personal computing.

The article goes into detail about practical applications other than performance gains. There are a few videos and slides from a presentation given by Valve that really show off the potential of this upgrade, such as interactive particle systems. Become informed about the powerhouse behind the Half-Life 2 games, read through all six pages of the article!

Expect the multi-threading update to the Source engine to come out before Half-Life 2: Episode Two, which is scheduled to be released at the beginning of next year.
Source: http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=108117

Discuss!

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Horay, I have a multicore processor! HL2 EP1 already ran great on my comp though

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering how long dual-core CPU's have been the standard, it's about bloody time, especially with quad-core CPU's just around the corner. I still have my dinky little P4, but it's good to see things moving slowly forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom