Source SDK Going Free-To-Use

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
With all these games out there transitioning from pay-to-play to free-to-play, why can’t the same thing apply to software development kits? Well, it can. That means gamers and game developers alike can use the source SDK to create all sorts of crazy new projects, games and mods...for free.

According to Rock, Paper, Shotgun…

Well, we’ve just received word from Valve’s Robin Walker that due to the recent release of a free Team Fortress 2, the Source SDK will soon become free to use in its entirety, for everyone.
That’s definitely some good news for everyone out there who didn’t plan on buying Half-Life 2 or Team Fortress 2 just to gain access to the SDK. But to be entirely honest, who hasn’t already bought a Valve game? Either you aren’t much of a gamer or you’re one of the low-down dirtiest pirates around.

Well, regardless of your past and present video game purchases, the SDK will be freely available to download to anyone all because Team Fortress 2 going free-to-play. The snowball effect was sparked based on a Reddit thread that discussed the possibility of gaining access to the SDK by purchasing items from the Team Fortress 2 cash shop. Rock, Paper Shotgun wanted full confirmation of this free SDK news and they contacted Team Fortress 2 lead developer, Robin Walker, and received the following response…

We are in the process of getting it all done. It’s a bit messy because we have multiple versions of the SDK, and there’s some dependencies we need to shake out. But yes, the gist of it is that we’re just going to go ahead and make the Source SDK freely available
So there you have it…free SDKs for everybody!

Heck, before you know it there will be mods out there that will be vastly superior to the crap we have to pay $60 for. Now that’s going to be a historic day in gaming.

Source:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Source-SDK-Going-Free-Use-33215.html

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Looking real good. All of these free-to-play conversions going on left to right makes me think, that it really is the next step in gaming.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yay for free awesome mods! ^^

Its astounding how many Industry defined rules Valve is breaking. But I love the for it.

Go Valve!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So which version of the SDK is free. The basic HL2 one or the one thats needed for most nods the EP 1 one?

Cause you cant really play any mods with the standard HL2 SDK you need the Ep 1 version.

And yes there are 2 of them.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, since TF2 uses the Orange Box SDK (2008, I think), I guess that's the free one.
Also, last time I poked around with Source SDK, they still didn't release the L4D2 version of the SDK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom