Sound problem/lagging pc

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, out of no where about 2 days ago, my sounds started lagging and whenever I play world of warcraft, I'll do a quick millisecond lag spike, go for 1 second, then another split second lag spike, go on, and idk. It goes on.

For the laggy sound part, I made a .wav of a song (Bopple Bubble). Normally this song is supposed to be fun and "Woohoo!" kinda song, but when it lags it sounds like a demented satanic clown is after you ;_;

Around 40-50 seconds, it'll start playing how it should.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22399799/laggy_sound.wav.html (10 MB)

Note: I also checked for spyware, nothing there. I think I'm in the presence of a trojan/virus.

Heh...trojan...heh...

Best answers
Holy **** man, 10 mb? I cant help you there.

Did you try upgrading sound card drivers? What kind of card do you have?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It sounds like ethier a virus to me, or there is something wrong with your onboard sound. Try a virus scan, try updating the drivers and post your results back here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hm. I dont really like virus scans. They never finish for me.

Cause usually what happens is it will be stuck on a file, like some freeware game i've downloaded.

"game.zip" and it'll just stop there. I left it on the whole night and next day and it was still scanning that so I canceled it, but I'll go for a mcafee scan atm. Update/post results in a few.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Downalod and isntall the latest drivers for your sound & use a virus scanner such as avg to scan your hdd for a virus if you don't already have a virus scanner. If all else fails, Reformatting FTW o/.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just a few ideas:

• Go into task manager and search for anything unusual on google.
- This will probably solve the problem.

• Go to Start -> Run -> dxdiag -> Sound -> Test DirectSound

• Uninstall and reinstall/update the drivers to your sound card.

They're in no particular order. Is it only the sound that's having trouble or is the entire computer slowing down?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nah, i heard every sound.

its also my pc, it tends to run at an 80% cpu usage when i do ctrl alt del.

not a virus/spyware in sight.

I think some of my hardware may be phaileeng. I think its my motherboard (its not my HD, i got a new one to fix the windows problem)

i have an amd athlon 3400+ @ 2.20GHz. I think thats default, since I can go WAY higher in overclocking settings. I haven't messed with it recently though.

Best answers
Is it overclocked right now? If so, then underclock it temporarily and see if there are any improvements.

Also, it does sound like it is a hardware issue, but just in case, do this:

Open task manager. Go to Processes. close all processes under the name "owner" or whatever. JUST DONT CLOSE EXPLORER.EXE!!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hm, programs are taking more memory then usual.

Like WoW, when I play it, it's running around 800,000K - 1,500,000 K

of memory usage. normally its at 300,000k-ish.

atm, firefox is going at 46,248 K, whenb it should be at 20,000K

and i have 1 gig of ram.

D:

edit: and no, its not overclocked

Best answers
very odd there Kaination. Hmm... you almost have to have a virus. either that, or your motherboard is dying.. but I doubt it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it must be dying.

i did a virus scan a few minutes ago and all that came up was a PUP from FEAR

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kaination said:
Hm, programs are taking more memory then usual.

Like WoW, when I play it, it's running around 800,000K - 1,500,000 K

of memory usage. normally its at 300,000k-ish.

atm, firefox is going at 46,248 K, whenb it should be at 20,000K

and i have 1 gig of ram.

D:

edit: and no, its not overclocked
There are known memory leak issues with firefox, some known leaks have been resolved but some still remain. To avoid it using more memory then it should be using, after I am finished browsing for the day, or notice firefox running slow (especialy considering the fact that I have dial up at home :(), I clean out the cache. Firefox doesn't always have a set amount of ram to always use anyway, all browsers are likely to use more then 20mb of ram at any given time. Opera uses more, however it gives you back the memory when you minimize it and leave it running, & IE at times (mostly when using Java or flash I'd assume) uses more memory. It'll depend on what task the browser is performing to determine how muich ram it will use (it might be rendering a page with flash animations for example).

If worst comes to worst, Reformat. If you have a spare sound card or anything lying around (I assume your'e using the onboard sound on your mainboard), shove in another sound card & see if the same thing happens.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not all my sound. The sound is a result from laggy PC.

Anyways, anything lags up. It's doing a bit better, but still I get major lag spikes.

IDK why, but it seems like my RAM is totally failing. I used to run AIM + Google talk + fire fox + music + world of warcraft and get no lag at all.

Now I can barely run WoW without anything at all in the background without lagging :/

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Kaination said:
It's not all my sound. The sound is a result from laggy PC.

Anyways, anything lags up. It's doing a bit better, but still I get major lag spikes.

IDK why, but it seems like my RAM is totally failing. I used to run AIM + Google talk + fire fox + music + world of warcraft and get no lag at all.

Now I can barely run WoW without anything at all in the background without lagging :/
Try reinstall your mobo drivers, vga drivers, the standard procedure.

If that doesnt work, reinstall your PC.

After that, if it's still lagging, it's most likely your mobo, but first reinstall, because it could save you some headaches and bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom