sound card issue

Best answers
Like the title says, i have a sound issue. I installed my sound drivers and all of a sudden I get horrible lag (all sound and some video lag). for example, when I have a song playing in Windows media player and I go to open up anything (My computer, Firefox, anything) It will start lagging horribly, for some reason I thought that it was my ram so I added in another stick and now I have 768mb of ram. Can anyone help?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try turning off any of the visual stuff that plays with the music in Media Player.

Best answers
sorry, i forgot to tell you that it (the sound) lags while playing any games, I got the video settings all the way down too and it still lags.

Sound Artist
Best answers
Post your system specs, specifically i'd like to know your OS, what brand of sound card you are using. From what you said, it's a sound card right? Not onboard? Is this computer new? Is the sound card new? Everything was working fine until you updated your sound drivers? If that's not the case, try to think of the last time when everything worked flawlessly, then let me know of any key changes you've done to your pc afterwards. Oh, you said video and sound lags? Monitor your FPS, i want to know if that's dropping to an unplayable/unusual level. If you can see your PC temps, i'd like to know those too, also monitor your processes using ALT+CTRL+DEL, see if any programs in particular are using up a lot of CPU/Memory when this lag occurs.

Things i suggest you do knowing only what you've told me:

-Make sure you have the right sound card drivers, (if you're using a sound card, disable any onboard sound in BIOS) Try rolling back to the old working drivers.

-Update your video card and Motherboard chipset drivers, as well as directx and any critical or recommended windows updates.

-Run a virus scan.

-Make sure all of your cards are all the way in and secured to their respective ports on the motherboard, make sure your ram is compatable with your motherboard and also make sure it's fitted securely.

-Run Memtest and see if it comes up with any errors.

Hope this helps.

Best answers
yeah, sorry. Its INTEGRATED Hi-Def audio, Realtek HD audio to be exact.

I have P4e, 3.0ghz processor w/hyperthreading
ATI Radeon X300 in PCIe slot.
Albatron PX915P4C Pro mobo.
768mb of mixed brand ram. (PC2100, Mobo recommends PC2700 or PC3200 memory)
Realtek Integrated Hi-Def audio
Windows XP Professional W/SP2

Yes that is the case, It all started happening when I installed the drivers, The drivers are correct for the Integrated sound card. Mobo chipset drivers and Video card drivers are updated. and I got the video lag to stop, dont know how but it did. No viruses and Memtest is finished, no errors. Windows started acting buggy a few weeks ago, task manager wont open, Help and support is screwed up and I get pop ups about Direct x and stuff and IE is really ****ed up. But I dont think thats the problem.

Sound Artist
Best answers
So roll back the sound card drivers, for some reason it's causing a conflict. Also, your motherboard supports 2700 and 3200 only? YOu really should use only the ram that it supports, even if it's slower. Did you make this pc yourself or is it store bought? The extra slab of ram is the 2100 right? What type of ram came with the computer? Oh yeah.. run a virus scan!

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Realtek's DSP should be just fine, I'm running one now. I fully agree with FreeDom, it's your newly installed drivers.

Best answers
Thats what I thought, its the drivers. Do you think that the drivers are corrupt or what?

Oh yeah, I said above that I ran a virus scan (must have overlooked it on accident or something). All 3 sticks are PC2100, I built it myself and I ran outta money for the hard drive and the ram, so I used PC2100 memory from my other computer just for now until I get my Patriot PC3200 memory. and i have a little ****ty 8 gig hard drive, just for now, I plan on getting a 250gig HD later.

I have Samsung memory right now, which is the PC2100 I have in it. Id roll back the driver but There werent any drivers installed before I installed these sound drivers (the ones that give me the problem) and If i do roll back/uninstall these drivers then I get video lag because on certain games (GTA3)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A common myth about drivers is that you always need the most current ones. While this usually stops some problems with newer programs, it has an equal chance of breaking earlier ones. Weigh driver upgrades for sound devices with your current needs, not what's currently available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom