Soo.... Russia and Georgia.

Best answers
Why are they fighting again?

I have no clue whats going on. I went to the college today, watched CNN and seen that Russia invaded Georgia.

Wtf?... Explain?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When I first saw the headline on Yahoo I was like "OH **** RUSSIA'S DONE BOMBED AMERICA," then I'm like "oh, that Georigia". I didn't even know there were tensions between the two countries. Considering all the the people killed, this looks serious =/.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
georgia has a province that would rather be part of Russia, Georgia's government however is pro-western!

So they have fighting for nearly 20 years ( nothing to big ) however it kinda exploded recently and Russia is supporting the province, and georgia is defending them selfs from the invading forces.

Europe and America are behind georgia because there is a important oil and gas line running through the province they are fighting in.

and that's basically it!

G
So Russia wants the oil line? I guess if Russia did win it'd only be a posotive thing for the citizens of Georgia; A busier economy, support from Russia.. But bad for the government, they'd loose their sovereignty.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Georgia violated a cease fire because of attacks from rebels, and Russia decided to Invade. A country like Georgia will not be able to defend itself against the full Russian army, that's for sure. They've already said they're looking for more international help to help protect them, this could stir up some unneeded tension.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just heard from CNN that the oil line was bombed recently...

Horray for gas spikes.
Right, oil prices were going down, and part of the pipe line mysteriously exploded. The official story is it's a completely natural occurrence, which I guess is true if you consider the aftermath of a bomb going off to be completely natural.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Simple. It is all about Kosovo. If Kosovo could depart from us, why couldn't that Russian province in Georgia depart from Georgria?

BTW AFAIK While Olimpic games last, all wars are pausing, or something like that :O

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Simple. It is all about Kosovo. If Kosovo could depart from us, why couldn't that Russian province in Georgia depart from Georgria?

BTW AFAIK While Olimpic games last, all wars are pausing, or something like that :O
It actually has to do with Russia not wanting Georgia and other satellite states joining NATO. This little problem didn't happen overnight. Russia was funding and arming separatists, Georgia said, "**** that". So while Russia was arming separatists, the US decided to train and arm the Georgians.

This is Cold War **** all over again, and it has nothing to do with Kosovo. It's an argument Russia would pose, just because they're willing to do anything to keep from having NATO members right on its doorstep, and perhaps rightfully so, but it isn't a valid argument.

Although if we're being honest, this is just Russia trying to take back what it lost when the USSR fell.

Last edited:
Best answers

I'm not trying to be a ****head, but don't bring your Kosovo bull**** into this thread. I heard it back then, and whats done is done... According to the rest of the world, Kosovo is it's own independent state (or nation or whatever..). And thats good enough for me.

And where did you hear that all conflicts are on pause while the Olympic games are running? AFAIK this whole Georgia/Russia conflict started on the same day as the Olympics. So fill me in here... please.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not trying to be a ****head, but don't bring your Kosovo bull**** into this thread. I heard it back then, and whats done is done... According to the rest of the world, Kosovo is it's own independent state (or nation or whatever..). And thats good enough for me.

And where did you hear that all conflicts are on pause while the Olympic games are running? AFAIK this whole Georgia/Russia conflict started on the same day as the Olympics. So fill me in here... please.
Lukyas' point is relevant, but wrong. The analogy is Kosovo wanted to secede, Serbia wanted to violently keep them from doing so, but outside powers forced Serbia to let them go. Someone using that logic would say the separatists want to secede, Georgia is saying no, and is trying to violently keep them from doing so.

The problem is, of course, Russia has been fomenting this particular rebellion, if you want to call it that, for quite some time now. They want the secession to take place so that Russia can absorb them, be it officially or unofficially. The US is trying to make Georgia a NATO member (and has trained and armed the Georgians), Russia is saying, "**** that" and we're basically using Georgia as a proxy to get at Russia (keep them in check, basically) while Russia is using South Ossetia as a proxy to get to Georgia and reclaim some of the land they lost after the USSR collapsed.

You can say Russia is right to "retaliate", but Russia didn't belong in South Ossetia in the first place. When you poke and prod an animal, no matter how small it is, it's going to lash out at you. This is what Russia has done, but being the polar bear that they are, they can basically walk all over Georgia, and that was probably the plan from the very beginning. Make them strike first, use that as an excuse to take what you want, and move on from there.

Best answers
Lukyas' point is relevant, but wrong. The analogy is Kosovo wanted to secede, Serbia wanted to violently keep them from doing so, but outside powers forced Serbia to let them go. Someone using that logic would say the separatists want to secede, Georgia is saying no, and is trying to violently keep them from doing so.

The problem is, of course, Russia has been fomenting this particular rebellion, if you want to call it that, for quite some time now. They want the secession to take place so that Russia can absorb them, be it officially or unofficially. The US is trying to make Georgia a NATO member (and has trained and armed the Georgians), Russia is saying, "**** that" and we're basically using Georgia as a proxy to get at Russia (keep them in check, basically) while Russia is using South Ossetia as a proxy to get to Georgia and reclaim some of the land they lost after the USSR collapsed.

You can say Russia is right to "retaliate", but Russia didn't belong in South Ossetia in the first place. When you poke and prod an animal, no matter how small it is, it's going to lash out at you. This is what Russia has done, but being the polar bear that they are, they can basically walk all over Georgia, and that was probably the plan from the very beginning. Make them strike first, use that as an excuse to take what you want, and move on from there.
No arguments here...

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's something that's been done since the Olympics started!
battles and wars would pause while the Olympics would be played.

usually this "rule" is followed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom