Sony throws the PS3 controller design...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...hopefully it won't come back.

Sony have scrapped the PS3 controller design;

And are currently in the process of redesigning something new. I put this down to bad public feedback ("it r a boomerang olol") and Nintendo's motion-tracking wand of sexiness. No details on the new design yet, but I think it would be safe to say it'll incorporate that feature from the Revolution/Go's controller in some way. Sony are also in a lawsuit against Immersion for use of the 'haptic-feedback' system (force generated inside an object to move it, so the controller would move the players hands as he held it), so I assume something similar will be implemented, or was at least planned to.

Source: Engadget

And just because it's related;

SomethingAwful said:
Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi announced that the Playstation 3's controller will be 36 times as comfortable as Microsoft and Nintendo's offerings due to nanotechnology and long-division math. Kutaragi claimed that the controller was scheduled to be shown, but that it was so comfortable that the people transporting it from Sony headquarters "fell asleep while holding it on their way over here... because it is simply that awesome."

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
So like, I'm still wondering who do they pay for estimates on how many times more comfortable a controller is. 36 is a strange number.

I want to be the guy who estimates how many times things are more comfortable than others, that would rule.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, I was hoping they'd scratch that design. It's just so ugly.

Remember when the first screens of it were announced? All the Sony fanboys went "Ah, quit whining, it'll be fine! It should be very comfortable!".

Now watch them come back from that statement, "Yeah, it was ugly, Sony'll make something better this time!"

Best answers
This post is 763 times more comfortable than the average post...
I didn't really like the PS3's controller anyways. The remote for the Revolution sounds cool though.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, I believe the fanboys were saying the same thing Sony was: That it was only a concept design, and I don't think Sony ever promoted it as being anything to the contrary.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the controller would have been fairly comfortable, im actually kind of annoyed that it is going to be changed.

i have an old psx controller with that same identical shape, save for the joysticks anyways. but it was one of the best psx controllers i had ever owned.

the only logical reason i can think of for the change is simply because it does not "match" the ps3 in terms of its apperrance, either that or just to shut some people up =P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wish that I could post threads like this about Nintendo and take subtle jabs at them for my own amusement without feeling the wrath of the staff...

At any rate, as long as the button layout stays the same, I don't care much what it's shaped like. That is the best configuration of buttons--it has the most, and they are naturally the most symmetrical which has always been important for me because it helps games to be more intuitive to control.

I seriously doubt they are going to add the Nintendo "Gimmick of the Month" to it, though. If they did, it would be a thousand times better, as Sony actually has some first person shooters to use it on besides Metroid (which shouldn't be a damn FPS in the first place...don't get me started). But I don't think they are. It is an interesting concept but I don't think it's highly cost effective to try to implement something like that at this phase in the development. Plus it's only going to be useful for like five games, anyhow.

Personally I think they should just make a super sexy silver version of the current PS2 controller. I've always felt that it was the best controller of all the console controllers I've used (second only to Super Nintendo's), so I hope that it at least remains similar.

KyoKusanagi

K
I might cop a hiding here but I actually was looking forward to seeing how the controller felt and played - I was a fan of the Alpspad and though it was indeed shaped like some kind of anti control throwing tantrum device, it did look comfortable.

Here's hoping for something along the lines of the shape of the PS2 controls - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pride said:
I wish that I could post threads like this about Nintendo and take subtle jabs at them for my own amusement without feeling the wrath of the staff...
What do you mean 'threads like this', i'm not taking a jab at Sony. I welcome this decision with open arms because the old PS3 controller looked bad imo. The best thing would be what the PS2's latest offering, the Silver Dual Shock, only wireless. I'm really not bothered with 'haptic-feedback' because I want to play the game, I don't want it to play me and I think it would just get annoying after a while. Vibration's ok, but forcing your arms to move is too much.

Best answers
I still don't believe in this Haptic feedback crap, you're telling me that a wireless controller the size of my hand is going to push my bulging muscles around? Psh

I thought the boomerang looked ok, but what do I know, I like XBOX controllers (no not the big ones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom