Sony patented technique similar to the Wii-mote

Best answers
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154345.html
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20060714/119184/

:S self explnatory, call me a nintendo fan or whatever but i always loved Sony more but this is juist ridicilious, whether you deny this or not, it's just another copy. You can go on to say motion sensitive controllers were out before the Wii, you can even go on to say this is just an improvement to the eyetoy. But I think we all know deep down if Wii didn't get the praise it got at E3 and the praise it got from developers, Sony 1)Would have never gone as far as removing rumble from their controller just to add motion sensing(Useless, plox?) and 2) This.
It's not the ripping off of other companies that makes me laugh, hell that's how the industry thrives....(or at least how Sony thrives) It's the fact that Sony fanb--- (oops almost said it) It's the fact that Sony lovers scoffed at the Wii controller and theme and called it a gimmick. Yet it seems that Sony loves the so called "gimmick."

Fact is, Sony sees the tides are changing. Like so many others they're seeing how owned they're gonna be, and because of this they're trying their hardest on a last ditch effort. Hell, they might even go as far as dipping the PS3's price to $400. Lmao.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't understand how the seperate technologies work, but it says in that article that the PS3's would be on a 2D plane, wheras Wii's would be full 3D. Wouldn't that make them different, with Wii still taking the gold medal for control?

Best answers
-- It was only a matter of time before Sony realized they could get the best of both worlds-- it's actually a smart move that im begining to respect more and more as the days go by to be honest, when you look at it from a successful business perspective. They really need both to sell a $600, and their taking action quickly, while Nintendo is creeping around with persistent secrecy. I guess they've realized something im begining to believe that Nintendo hasn't-- you can't base a controller over the hardware, no matter how extraordinary it might be. Those who made the hardware can alter the controller, when you spend time on the controller-- but that can't be said for the hardware, and currently the Wii's hardware is just sickening, but acceptable. There's no need to make a big deal out of a smart business tactic. It's going to take more then this too stop Nintendo anyway, so im not even worried.

Best answers
You do kind of realize had sony not removed the rumble pack they would of been sued bigtime don't you?

It wasn't a choice, and this whole the PS3 stole the Wii's idea has already been discussed many times over, sony also found a way to make their controller rumble as well, so just chill sony has enough problems without you revivisting some of their old ones.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
It's just a patent, that's a far cry from anything concrete and solid. Sony are just keeping their options open. If Nintendo proves that their brand of controller can sell, and sell well, then Sony can step up and bring out their own device to capitalise on that market, safe in the knowledge that their own take on the whole thing is protected.

It's Sony's game-plan in this brave new generation.

And it might even take some gamers that extra step towards justifying that 600 clams it would cost to pick up the damned thing.

Babyboy said:
Fact is, Sony sees the tides are changing. Like so many others they're seeing how owned they're gonna be, and because of this they're trying their hardest on a last ditch effort. Hell, they might even go as far as dipping the PS3's price to $400. Lmao.
The Console War isn't simple enough to be judged in the first days. I agree that the balance is shifting, as it always does, but it's a little early to run around shouting about the sky falling on Sony's head. They're a big corporation. Don't count them out yet.

Best answers
You do kind of realize had sony not removed the rumble pack they would of been sued bigtime don't you?
-- That wasn't his point, he's making note that Sony would've payed off their debts and continued with the same controller to begin with-- adding nothing special too it, while leaving the rumble in place. Im sure he's aware of the suing situation already.

It wasn't a choice, and this whole the PS3 stole the Wii's idea has already been discussed many times over, sony also found a way to make their controller rumble as well
-- Link ? As far as i know, Immersion found a way to do it. But i dont think Sony ever responded too them.

so just chill sony has enough problems without you revivisting some of their old ones.
His thread was on topic, if you dont like it-- dont post. There's no need to be that way about it, and it's not like he posted something outdated or anything, it's still relatively new, and it's still a hot topic.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Diamond Princess said:
His thread was on topic, if you dont like it-- dont post. There's no need to be that way about it, and it's not like he posted something outdated or anything, it's still relatively new, and it's still a hot topic.
Just to squash this before it gets any bigger, can we be a little more civilised here? Less of the 'don't like it- don't post' talk. It's unpleasant. Mogwai's post was just as valid as yours, DP, to my mind he was calling for a little perspective on this whole thing.

There are bound to be different oppinions on this but remember that, until the consoles are out, that's all they are. No need to get worked up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's two sides to that coin, yes they did lose to Immersion, but they also said that rumbling would interfere with the motion sensors (though Wii did it just fine).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
With all the 'SONY stole this or that' news/rumors popping up lately, it's hard to believe they DON'T.

Whatever the case, from a business-perspective it's a good move, since Nintendo's already hyped up the whole motion-sensing tech, and SONY's just using that to promote their gear, and get a piece of Nintendo's market.

It seems to me that SONY's trying to get into Nintendo's market with the motion sensing tech, with the belief that "If we can convince people who first wanted a Wii because of the motion sensing, that our PS3 can do something similar and with better graphics, people would choose the PS3 over the Wii. Score!".

So yeah, IMO it's an assholian tactic, but a good move for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom