Something wrong with Screen...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LAtely I have notcied, when I start up ESF, half life, or the computer tself, the screen shows small lines going through everything, making a tad distorted.

When windows is done starting up, my destop and everything is fine, but the windows logo when starting up haves lins going through it, as well as ESF/Half life. Is there some setting i can fix this with?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Erm. Can you show a screen shot please? I'm having a hard time picturing what you mean.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i would, but it looks normal when pasted as a picture :/

But its basically like really really small lines streaming across the screen horizontally

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How old is your monitor? What kind of monitor is it? (LCD, CRT etc.)

Does this only happen sometimes? Or are these lines always going through it.

My guess can only be that your monitor is old and messed up/broken.

Have you tried running different resolutions?

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Sound to me like artifacts.

Maybe your videocard is overheating, because of dust in your fan or the fan stopped spinning.(It happens rarely and only with VERY old videocards)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Can't be because the screenshots are coming out fine.

As monitors degrade, you will start to notice flickering and other weird anomalies in certain video modes. My aunt's old monitor had what appeared to be a "bump" scrolling up on the screen all the time. If you changed from 1024x768x60hz to 800x600x72hz it would go away. o_O

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well when I make ESF's resolution 800X600 or higher, it works fine, but it is kinda akward, and safe mode and the windows loasing screen seem to still have lines in them. Is it the lower the resolution, the easier it is to see the lines.

As for that bump you are talking about, i get a very small one, but that is only when my r.v is on and it is worse when it is on 'video' mode.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what is your refresh rate at ? no one put it up past what the monitor can normally do (someone could of unticked the "hide modes my monitor can't do" or something like that and mucked with it , My friend did that to his monitor one day and then it had a funeral :eek:)

I doubt his gfx card is the problem simply because you can see distortion in the images itself if it is (like when one of my mates showed me with his gecube 9600xt extreme before he sent it off to get fixed).

Have you tried setting the screen at a different resolution or lower the refresh rate at all to see if that solves the problem ?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I was messin around with the refreshrate/resolution. The highe the refresh rate. the better the 640X480 resolution works, which is about esf's defuault resolution. I just don't know why all of the sudden safe mode and half-life/esf have begun to look like this.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
have you tried updating your gfx drivers and see if that solves the problem ? remove the old drivers before you install the new aswell (just a little recommendation)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah i updated it from the Nvidia site, didn't seem to work though.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
did you try removing the olde ones before installing the new or install over the top of the old ones ? if that doesn't work , send your pc off for repair (as you told me once , you had a compaq pc , they might just cover that under warranty if you still have warranty on it)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i suppose letting best buy tune it up would be a last last resort

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Again, since the screenshots are coming out fine, it's not the video card itself.

Updating drivers won't fix hardware failure.

Methinks your monitor is ****ting the bed.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ha, I got it to work now, thanks Kurt and Saiyan for telling about the refresh rates and stuff, becasue when I looked in my NVidia Display menu, i found an option called "double scan low resolution modes", so that fixed thhe lines and chopy images. Thanks :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom